National Semifinal: Cornell vs. Mercyhurst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Semifinal: Cornell vs. Mercyhurst

To start this thread, here are some key numbers. On paper, these teams look pretty close, except for one key number.

Head to Head

10/23/09 Mercyhurst 4 Cornell 1
    10/24/09 Mercyhurst 4 Cornell 1

Statistics (Ranks only include 33 teams)

Scoring
    Mercyhurst 4.74 goals/game 1st (Z-score=3.35)
    Cornell 2.88 goals/game 8th (Z-score=0.62)

Defense
    Mercyhurst 1.60 goals/game 3rd (Z-score=-1.39)
    Cornell 1.71 goals/game 6th (Z-score=-1.20)

Power Play
    Mercyhurst 24.5% (2 short handed against)
    Cornell 21.8% (3 short handed against)

Penalty kill
    Cornell 93.2% (2 short handed for)
    Mercyhurst 91.3% (21 short handed for, not a typo)

Z-score: the number of standard deviations away from the mean the observation is. Mercyhurt scores 3.35 standard deviations (.68 gpals/game) more goals per game than the DI average.

Re: National Semifinal: Cornell vs. Mercyhurst

Common Opponents

(L indicates a loss, T a tie)

Code:
    Mercyhurst                              Cornell

10/16/09  MC 1 RPI 0                    11/7/09  C 3 RPI 1
    10/17/09  MC 5 RPI 1                    2/19/09  C 2 RPI 1
                                            3/5/09   C 5 RPI 4

11/20/09  MC 2 NU 2                     11/28/09 C 2 NU 1
    11/21/09  MC 2 NU 0                     11/29/09 C 1 NU 2 L
    1/29/10   MC 2 NU 0
    1/30/10   MC 1 NU 2 L

11/27/09  MC 8 Colgate 3                1/22/10 C 3 Colgate 3 T
    11/28/09  MC 8 Colgate 2                1/23/10 C 6 Colgate 0
                                            2/26/10 C 2 Colgate 1
                                            2/27/10 C 5 Colgate 0

12/11/09  MC 4 SLU 2                    11/14/09 C 2 SLU 3 L
    12/12/09  MC 6 SLU 2                    1/29/10  C 2 SLU 2

1/15/10   MC 6 Clarkson 3               11/13/09 C 2 Clarkson 0
    1/16/10   MC 5 Clarkson 5 T             1/30/10  C 1 Clarkson 2 L
                                            3/7/10   C 4 Clarkson 3

1/22/10   MC 8 SU 1                     2/5/10   C 1 SU 2 L
    1/23/10   MC 4 SU 3
    2/26/10   MC 4 SU 1
    2/27/10   MC 3 SU 1
    3/6/10    MC 2 SU 1

Comment

Both teams are on long win streaks.

Mercyhurst Last 10

Code:
      Team                    Rutter Ranking

Robert Morris       4- 1     -0.477
      Robert Morris       4- 0     -0.477
      Robert Morris       9- 2     -0.477
      Wayne State         8- 0     -0.304
      Wayne State         4- 1     -0.304
      Syracuse            4- 1     0.041
      Syracuse            3- 1     0.041
      Robert Morris       7- 1    -0.477
      Syracuse            3- 1     0.041
      Boston Univ.        4- 1     0.274

Average Rutter Ranking = -0.212
      Cornell Last 10

Code:
      Team               Rutter Ranking

PRINCETON    6- 0    -0.021
      Brown        4- 0    -1.024
      Yale         1- 0    -0.389
      RENSSELAER   2- 1     0.053
      UNION        6- 1    -1.674
      COLGATE      2- 1    -0.224
      COLGATE      5- 0    -0.224
      RENSSELAER   5- 4     0.053
      CLARKSON     4- 3     0.546
      Harvard      6- 2     0.670

Average Rutter Ranking = -0.223
      Toughest Eight Opponents (By Rutter Ranking)

Code:
      Mercyhurst

MINNESOTA DULUTH       3- 4     0.982 L
      MINNESOTA DULUTH       5- 2     0.982
      CLARKSON               5- 5     0.546 T
      CLARKSON               6- 3     0.546
      Cornell                4- 1     0.464
      Cornell                4- 1     0.464
      Boston University      4- 1     0.274
      St. Cloud State        4- 4     0.243 T
      Cornell

Code:
      MERCYHURST             1- 4     1.406 L
      MERCYHURST             1- 4     1.406 L
      Harvard                6- 2     0.670
      Harvard                4- 4     0.670 T
      HARVARD                4- 3     0.670
      CLARKSON               4- 3     0.546
      Clarkson               1- 2     0.546 L
      CLARKSON               2- 0     0.546

Comment

I'll add this from the Harvard-Cornell thread

I think you sell Cornell a bit short. Certainly they're an underdog, but they'll come in the Frozen Four much more battle-tested than Mercyhurst has been over the past month.

I'd give Cornell and better chance of beating Mercyhurst than any of the 4-5 seeds against the No. 1 seed, except for probably Brown over Minnesota in 2002 and Minnesota over UNH in 2006 (and I'm not just saying that because those were the teams that actually won). The No. 1 seed has lost in the semis in every Olympic year.

Here's some more encouraging stats: Cornell has just laid 10 goals on two of the best defensive teams in the country, Harvard and Clarkson (sure, neither is what they were earlier this season, but still).

Here is how Mercyhurst has done against the top offensive teams it has played, aside from your season-opening series: (I go by WCHODR rankings)
        No. 3 UMD: 2 goals, 4 goals
        No. 12 St. Cloud: 4 goals
        No. 13 Clarkson: 3 goals, 5 goals
        No. 14 Colgate: 3 goals, 2 goals

The WCHODR model expects a 3-2 Mercyhurst win. I expect that could be a fun higher-scoring game than that. Cornell clearly knows how to finish. Mercyhurst hasn't faced a team with the kind of weapons Cornell has since mid-January.

Comment

Of course the idea that Cornell is more battle-tested coming on will need some defending since the stats Lakersfan yield the opposite conclusion.

The last two weeks of RPI/Clarkson/Harvard are certainly a better test than RMU/Syracuse/BU. I don't think having played Brown or Union in the past month puts Cornell at any disadvantage.

Comment

Also, Lakersfan noted in the Mercyhurst thread that most teams simply can't handle Mercyhurst's pressure. It is worth noting that Harvard certainly tried to put a lot of pressure on Cornell in the beginning, and Cornell just totally burned them and the game was pretty much over. Now Mercyhurst is certainly much more talented than Harvard, but it is worth noting this Cornell team has finished well lately, beating two top 10 teams while being badly outshot.

I'm expecting this game to be pretty exciting -- on par with Minnesota-UNH four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
              The last two weeks of RPI/Clarkson/Harvard are certainly a better test than RMU/Syracuse/BU. I don't think having played Brown or Union in the past month puts Cornell at any disadvantage.
              This seems to be one of those years where every opponent is flawed in some way, but it is nice if that opponent can at least present challenges to an NCAA team along the way. Clearly there is no other offense out there comparable to the Lakers. Cornell has at least seen MC, although something more akin to a beta-test model. In their last two games, the Big Red have faced size/strength (Clarkson) and speed (Harvard) equal to anything they are likely to see the rest of the way. Granted, Mercyhurst may use their speed more effectively than do the Crimson, but at least it gets a team accustomed to playing at a high tempo. Beyond RPI, I don't know how much grooming they got in the rest of their Last 10.

Similarly, the Lakers prep games in their Last 10 are probably limited to Syracuse and BU. I'm sure they'd have liked to have faced another top opponent down the stretch, but that's been a traditional problem. They overcame it last year, and this year, there is a much smaller game between a Syracuse and an NCAA team.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Similarly, the Lakers prep games in their Last 10 are probably limited to Syracuse and BU. I'm sure they'd have liked to have faced another top opponent down the stretch, but that's been a traditional problem. They overcame it last year, and this year, there is a much smaller game between a Syracuse and an NCAA team.
                Understood, and I'm not by any means saying I expect Cornell to win .

A lot of people will just think Cornell has no chance, given their season opening results against Mercyhurst and the fact Cornell was under-the-radar most of the season.

I'm saying the last two weeks of preparation will be a factor that will make the game more even than it otherwise would be.

Comment

A lot of people will just think Cornell has no chance, given their season opening results against Mercyhurst and the fact Cornell was under-the-radar most of the season.

I'm saying the last two weeks of preparation will be a factor that will make the game more even than it otherwise would be.
                  My initial motivation for my data collection was to combat the argument "Cornell is on a 10 game win streak against better competition," which is clearly not the case. The last three games have been against better competition, and as Dave says, that will help Cornell.

Cornell looks a lot better when you dive into the numbers to someone outside the ECAC. In my rankings, the did edge up into the top 3 for a moment, before losing to SLU and having a run of sub-par performances. Hurst and Cornell have similar records against common opponents, except St. Lawrence (Cornell only played one game against Syracuse).

According to my rankings, Mercyhurst should win this game 81.8% of the time. I think that is a fair number when you look at the differences in offensive production and the fact that Mercyhurst has beaten them twice (after which Cornell beat Harvard and Clarkson over the next 14 days, which to me suggests that Cornell was pretty good to start the season).

Comment

Personally, I don't think the opening series has any relevance beyond both getting a first-hand look at the other team's personnel. So many of Cornell's impact players are young, and even veteran teams evolve over 5 months.

One intangible -- which team performs better in any empty arena? There were few fans in Minneapolis yesterday, even fewer in Duluth, so hopefully, there are some hardcore fans looking to head cross country to support these teams that drew well in their final home games.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post

One intangible -- which team performs better in any empty arena? There were few fans in Minneapolis yesterday, even fewer in Duluth, so hopefully, there are some hardcore fans looking to head cross country to support these teams that drew well in their final home games.
                      That surprises me--I thought the crowds in Minnesota were supposedly the best in D1?

Comment

I don't think looking back to October does either team any good at this point because they both have made significant progress since their opening series. They're different teams now and physically are more spent than last October. Conditioning will play a role especially in the later stages of the game.

One of the keys will be penalties. Cornell is dangerous on the shorthand and the Lakers will have to be wary of this. Assuming both goalies are on, a key turnover, penalty or losing a faceoff can be the difference between winning and losing. Mercyhurst has the experience of being in this situation. This is a first for Cornell and it will be interesting to see how their young players handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          Cornell is dangerous on the shorthand and the Lakers will have to be wary of this.
                          According to the record book, the converse is also true.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                            That surprises me--I thought the crowds in Minnesota were supposedly the best in D1?
                            The boys high school hockey tournament championship games Saturday *HOPEFULLY* had something to do with the pathetic turnout for NCAA games... a team from the Duluth area played in the small school final in the afternoon while two cities teams played the large school final.. in the same time frame as the NCAA games in their area would be. While I wish that was the actual reason it's hard to really know.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Unless my memory or 'rithmetic is off, Cornell becomes the 12th different program to advance to the Frozen Four in the event's 10-year history.

Frozen Four Appearances
                              # Team (Years)
                              7 Minnesota-Duluth (2001,2002,2003,2007,2008,2009,2010)
                              7 Minnesota (2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2009,2010)
                              5 Harvard (2001,2003,2004,2005,2008)
                              5 St. Lawrence (2001,2004,2005,2006,2007)
                              4 Dartmouth (2001,2003,2004,2005)
                              4 Wisconsin (2006,2007,2008,2009)
                              2 Mercyhurst (2009,2010)
                              2 New Hampshire (2006,2008)
                              1 Boston College (2007)
                              1 Brown (2002)
                              1 Cornell (2010)
                              1 Niagara (2002)

Comment

Working...
                              X