Ford field attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford field attendance

Can anyone reasonably estimate how many tickets the NCAA has sold for the Frozen Four. I'm curious if the Frozen four will set an attendance record, or did the NCAA really blow it by having the games on a football field?
    I notice that ticketmaster still has really good seating locations still available
    FYI, I have attended nearly every Frozen four since Lake Placid in the 80's but I am not attending this year becuase I prefer to watch hockey in a hockey arena without the aide of binoculars.

Re: Ford field attendance

I have been wondering the same thing myself.

It's not likely, but if my team makes a run, we'll get the days off from work and drive to Detroit (about 12 hours, doable). Normally I wouldn't risk going w/out tickets, but I think the size of the venue means there will be plenty of seats available.

I think having the Frozen Four there is terrible idea; it's one thing to have a regular season game in a novelty location (I greatly enjoyed the Fenway Games), but the crowd plays such a large part in hockey, and I feel that playing on a football field takes that away.

Not thrilled, and I hope they don't. Hockey Championships should be played in Hockey Arenas, pure and simple.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

It will definitely set an attendance record but it is still a bad idea. When they set this up, I'm sure they imagine Michigan and Michigan State being there. If they draw a bad field of teams (can you imagine the attendance if Bemidji, SLU, Yale, and UMass Lowell made it??), there will be blocks of empty seats.

I think this will be the one and only time they play this tournament in a football arena. It really is too bad they arent doing this at Joe Louis.
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Most of us are hockey purists, and purists prefer the intimacy and familiarity of an NHL arena for our showcase game. I do too. It's a no-brainer.

That said, the whole Ford Field thing is going to be something of a spectacle, especially if we get 30 or 35,000 people in there making noise and having a great time. Spectacles do get noticed, and if casual sports fans see our sport as more of a big time event, I think that helps us in the long run. I admire our sport for taking some risk, and that's how we grow the game. Whomever said "you are either making dust or eating it" is probably right...

Comment

one problem I have is playing the biggest event of the year on a temporary ice surface (I know all rinks have 'temporary' ice, but you know what I mean)...

how's the quality of the ice going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
            one problem I have is playing the biggest event of the year on a temporary ice surface (I know all rinks have 'temporary' ice, but you know what I mean)...

I'd have to assume it'll at least be passable. Ford Field's an indoor facility, so variables like humidity and weather will be neutralized. The surface might lead to some bouncing pucks, but I doubt it'll rapidly deteriorate like the surface at Camp Randall did.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post

Well, the NCAA rips up the ice to put down their own logos. As a result, the ice is usually bad at every NCAA tournament.
              Originally posted by reBlur
              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                I think this will be the one and only time they play this tournament in a football arena. It really is too bad they arent doing this at Joe Louis.
                As a Wings fan I'm required to love the Joe, but I would not want the 31-year old JLA to host a Frozen Four anymore. It's pretty dated and lacking in the amenities department compared to NHL arenas built from the early 90s onward.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  As a Wings fan I'm required to love the Joe, but I would not want the 31-year old JLA to host a Frozen Four anymore. It's pretty dated and lacking in the amenities department compared to NHL arenas built from the early 90s onward.
                  Yeah, the Joe has its Charms, but yeah, it is kinda dated.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    The sight-lines are great, and the place does have a certain aura about it, but the building's a dive and not necessarily located in the best part of town.

It's for the best that the Frozen Four isn't at the Joe.
                    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

The numbers won't be what the NC$$ had hoped for .... thats why they rotated the location of the rink 90 degrees ... that is what caused the late notices for seat locations, they had to re do all they had figured before the poor sales were noted ... the 3 games for $45 must be super seats and that is how they are selling hockey

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        The sight-lines are great, and the place does have a certain aura about it, but the building's a dive and not necessarily located in the best part of town.

It's for the best that the Frozen Four isn't at the Joe.
                        Blasphemy! Just kidding. The place is going downhill fast, but I cringe at the thought of the Wings moving out to, say, the Palace, it just wouldn't be the same.

<3 JLA

Comment

Someone forwarded me an email last week where they were offering $5 and $10 ticket packages for groups of 15 or more. In other words they are desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Someone forwarded me an email last week where they were offering $5 and $10 ticket packages for groups of 15 or more. In other words they are desperate.
                            I know plenty of people who said no to watching hockey at Ford Field. I wonder why?
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              they are praying Miami and michigan get there right about now
                              The Quest For 7

Comment

Working...
                              X