This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Release: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread Part I

There. Let us never talk of the past six months again.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Re: Sweet Release: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread Part I

Actually Gwozdecky begs to differ....Tech fans will enjoy this Gwoz radio clip:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/downlo...B_OEM_ID=18600

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Actually Gwozdecky begs to differ....Tech fans will enjoy this Gwoz radio clip:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/downlo...B_OEM_ID=18600
      Maybe in a few weeks - let us wallow in misery for a while longer.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

This clip will help with the misery. All Gwoz wanted to talk about tonight was Tech. How well they played, how they grew, how well they've recruited for next year and how great a job the Tech staff has done in the last third of the year despite the loss of key players. It's really quite a good listen...

Comment

Appreciate Gwoz's comments. We shall see what happens next season.

As I said in the other thread...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Re: the penalty kill. I was curious/dorky enough to crunch the numbers:

Before January 1st: 69/110 = ~62.73% success

After January 1st: 71/85 = ~83.53% success

Two fewer games factored into the post-New Years numbers, but a major difference nonetheless.

Additionally, if there is one thing that I got right, the powerplay was significantly improved this year. About the same number of goals as the past two seasons, but on fewer chances.
          ...the special teams took a big step from the beginning of the season to end. We still take more penalties than we probably need to, but it's likely that will be an issue as long as we're playing Russell's systems and guys like Doriott are on the team.

Plain and simple, the overall effort on defense has got to improve. We have to get back to the not-too-distant days (06-07 and even 07-08) when shots were blocked more often, there were fewer turnovers in the neutral zone, and the puck was usually cleared on the first attempt.

IMO, #1 goalie is back up for grabs going into next year. Both goaltenders were usually shelled (which goes back to my above point about the defense), but Robinson seized his chance in the last couple weeks and found some confidence again. Genoe played admirably for a freshman, but certainly made his share of errors. Ideally, we can get a rotation going again this fall.

Finally, I'd like to thank Malcolm Gwilliam for sticking around for a sixth season, as he made 09-10 somewhat less painful to follow. After two redshirts and being the butt of many arguments that Russell's best recruits are overhyped and rarely deliver, the guy deserved to go out on a high note. Too bad his 30 pts. will have to suffice.

Comment

Swami, I really do appreciate that you're trying to make us feel better, and I'm sure Gwoz has some great things to say about us. They may even be true - there have been good reports about our prospects for next season and the year after. I don't think that anyone can deny that Jamie Russell is a great person and a class act, and that Tech is a gritty team that (in this third/half of the season) doesn't quit trying.

I can't claim to know the recruiting or coaching difficulties inherent in running a D-1 men's hockey team. I'm also no longer connected with Michigan Technological University, so even if I was inclined to fire Jamie, it would be an outsider's perspective only. But after 8 seasons of following this team, with one winning season to show for it, even the kindest and most heartfelt words of praise from around the league lose their luster. Give us a bit of time to accept this season and move on - we need to forget what we are, so we can again hope for the glory that once was.

Thanks, and good luck in the postseason. Maybe one day we'll meet you there - until then, we'll see the MacNaughton in our dreams.

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

On an unrelated note, the Gophers should consider doing something similar to the "fans" who leave Mariucci early.

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwchenZolCE&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwchenZolCE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

Comment

At least we won't have to watch our team in the abortion of a Frozen 4 that is the Ford Field Frozen 4.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Why did Tech have to only dress 10 forwards.
                  Even with the travel restrictions I remember from the past the team always had two extra players on the trip.
                  Royer and Olson Out
                  Heinonen in, Cramer in??????????????????????????????
                  Was Seth Soley also injured.

You go to Denver with Olson hurting and you bring the third string goalie.
                  I can understand this as a reward if Soley is not available, but there is no reasoning if Soley is not hurt.

It is a small point, but I would be curious to have it explained.

I hope Tech athletics and the Tech administraton sees this year as the outright embarassment that it was.
                  Tim Watters lost his job quickly into the next season after the ~ 4-34 debacle. Jordan Baker mentioned early in the year that he thought this team had as much talent as he had seen since he had been here. It appears it took 2/3 of a season to get going.

They need to totally change their pre-season program. It is not working.
                  The injuries need to be explained and the conditioning altered to avoid a three-peat.

I sure hope there is some recruits talent that can come in and help. I am assuming a few players will lose their spots off this team as there are more recruits than departing seniors.

Comment

personally I'm proud of the Huskies and appreciate Gwoz's kind words and the Denver fans for passing them on. we played the number one team in the nation tough. with a bunch of major players injured. yet we hung in there.
                    I'll miss Gwills, heck, he's been around so long he's almost like furniture.

(a little irony here - a few weeks ago *ahem* certain Tech fans were saying Jamie couldn't find any recruits, not one would sign, blah blah blah. and here's Gwoz praising his recruiting)
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

MTU may have lost this series but the last 4 games by your team was very impressive for a last place team. Your team took 2 top five teams in the nation, at their arenas to the edge. The Huskies should not hang their heads because if the they can tranfer that kind of play next season, they could be a difficult team to get past in the WCHA.

Hopefully MTU can take this into next season and regain some of the husky pride and become the program they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

I hope Tech athletics and the Tech administraton sees this year as the outright embarassment that it was.
                        Tim Watters lost his job quickly into the next season after the ~ 4-34 debacle. Jordan Baker mentioned early in the year that he thought this team had as much talent as he had seen since he had been here. It appears it took 2/3 of a season to get going.

They need to totally change their pre-season program. It is not working.
                        The injuries need to be explained and the conditioning altered to avoid a three-peat.

I sure hope there is some recruits talent that can come in and help. I am assuming a few players will lose their spots off this team as there are more recruits than departing seniors.
                        I believe Jamie only has a year left on his contract. Right now it's looking unlikely that he'll be signed again (though who he'd be replaced with is a good question) but I also don't see the administration canning him this offseason. So, he has a chance to do something with those recruits.

Agreed. Bangen's head ---> Platter.

It would surprise me somewhat to see Heinonen on the squad next year, since he was a mid-season walk-on and doesn't have the juniors training or size of the rest of the Huskies. As for others... good question.

Comment

Russell's not going anywhere this summer. He'll get the last year of his contract to get this team to 10-15 wins and a positive outlook, or I think there will be considerable pressure from the program's major donors to move on.

Bangen's head can meet a silver platter anytime though. I know we've had had a lot of freshmen in the past two years, but there's no excuse for our players' knees and shoulders to be made of glass. Especially in this sport.

Comment

Why? WHY?

WHY CAN AN STD-RIDDEN TEACHER'S COLLEGE WITH ADMISSIONS STANDARDS OF "COLOR INSIDE THE LINES" MAKE IT TO THEIR CONFERENCE TOURNEY EVERY YEAR AND WE CAN'T? WHY?

*explodes*
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I have Michigan Tech ranked #1 going into next season. I mean they are undefeated at this point.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                              X