NCAA Semifinal: Plattsburgh vs. Norwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Semifinal: Plattsburgh vs. Norwich

Both teams coming off exciting overtime wins. Should be a classic.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Matt Rennell; 03-14-2010, 12:41 AM.

Re: NCAA Semifinal: Plattsburgh vs. Norwich

Hopefully the cadets can skate better than they did for most of tonight's QF. For most of the night they were not up to their usual game. To give them credit Elmira played a great game. Game should go to Klinger for stopping a 3-0 breakaway with minutes to go while still down 1-0.
    Last edited by peddler; 03-13-2010, 09:08 PM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
      Hopefully the cadets can skate better than they did for most of tonight's QF. For most of the night they were not up to their usual game. To give them credit Elmira played a great game. Game should go to Klinger for stopping a 3-0 breakaway with minutes to go while still down 1-0.
      Whew. Elmira played their game for over 59 minutes and played it well. There will be some aspects of this Cadet win that they would like to forget and other moments like Steven Schroeder's score, "THE SAVE" (Klinger) and Pier-Oliver Cotnoir's winning score that we will never forget. Outstanding.

1. Now Norwich has a week to think about Friday's game at Plattsburg.

2. My guess is that Middlebury was slightly favored (just a feeling) so this OT win for Cardinals should them a rush and psych them up for their rematch with the Cadets. Should be a barn burner of a game.

3. Meanwhile someone will ultimately have to deal with the winner of the Oswego game. At this moment Oswego has to feel like they are Masters of the Universe and bullet proof after having "bended, folded and mutilated" Bowdoin.

SNC is the mystery for those of us that don't see western teams.

Now I have to book reservations for LP.
      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Should be a good match-up. As I recall, Satim didn't play in the Norwich win, so that is a plus for the Birds. Ice sheet size favors Norwich. I believe that over all Norwich has better team speed. Goal tending is even. Depth is slightly in Norwich's favor. Experience is in Plattsburgh's favor. I would guess that a 4-2 score would be about right, but I'm not handicapping this one!
        Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
          Should be a good match-up. As I recall, Satim didn't play in the Norwich win, so that is a plus for the Birds. Ice sheet size favors Norwich. I believe that over all Norwich has better team speed. Goal tending is even. Depth is slightly in Norwich's favor. Experience is in Plattsburgh's favor. I would guess that a 4-2 score would be about right, but I'm not handicapping this one!
          Peach - Box Score from the 4-1 Norwich win over PSC has Satim recording 1 SOG. Make it another 4-1?
          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Nope, still 4-2, and notice I didn't say who would win....

Comment

I am curious. Now I know that Oswego had been ranked #1 in the weekly USCHOL Division III poll for most of the season but didn't St. Norbert's top the earliest season polls until about the time they were beaten by Salem State and St. Scholastica?
              Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                Nope, still 4-2, and notice I didn't say who would win....
                3-1 Cadets. Klinger hasn't given them more than one goal/game yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                  I am curious. Now I know that Oswego had been ranked #1 in the weekly USCHOL Division III poll for most of the season but didn't St. Norbert's top the earliest season polls until about the time they were beaten by Salem State and St. Scholastica?
                  Plattsburgh was the pre-season #1. I do believe SNC did take over the #1 spot for a week or two though before Oswego took it over.

Comment

From what I remember, Platty was #1 and Oswego beat them and moved to #2 behind St.Norbert. St.Norbert lost those games and Oswego moved to #1.

Comment

Originally posted by oswegohockey12 View Post
                      From what I remember, Platty was #1 and Oswego beat them and moved to #2 behind St.Norbert. St.Norbert lost those games and Oswego moved to #1.
                      Was any other team (not in the final four) ranked #1 during the season?

Comment

Originally posted by oswegohockey12 View Post
                        I now recall Plattsburg was at Numero Uno for a while early in the season. So the four teams in the Div III final four have all been ranked #1 by the USCHOL coaching polls at one time or another this season. That is interesting and I cannot recall anyone else making it to the top of the list. Early in the season Norwich was down around 9 or 10 which was to be expected given the amount of untested Freshman talent we were putting out there.

A final question: The USCHOL team sites for the Final Four already have SNC and Oswego as the early game and NU versus Plattsburg as the evening game. I thought NU was the #1 seed and hence had the choice of going early or later (McShane always likes the early game to give his team more rest between game and time to scout the other teams).

Was this just wishful thinking by the USCHOL web master or has an official NCAA announcement about games already been made? Please advise Thanks.
                        Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-13-2010, 10:26 PM.

Comment

It's been announced that P'Burg-Norwich is the late game. Will put more fannies in the seats for Friday night.

Comment

I sure hope the Cardinals can compete Friday night...Norwich is very strong, especially defensively...I expect (and hope) a close game is in store...Either way, as long as Oswego doesn't win it all- I will be a happy man...So if NU wins over Platty, Please win it all Wick!!!

Comment

Although I didn't see it myself, it certainly seems as if Plattsburgh played like a serious national championship contending team, and that's how they got this far.

Norwich definitely played like the #1 team in the nation, without a doubt, but the fact that #9 uscho-ranked and E6 (at most) Elmira shut them out for 59:12 minutes of hockey, and took a 1-0 lead into the final minute, shows that the Cadets are NOT invincible.

Plattsburgh is playing their best hockey now. Norwich seems to have peaked a week or two ago, and is now on the downslope.

I could be horribly wrong, and I'm trying not to make this a pure homer pick, but I'm taking Plattsburgh 2-1 or 3-2, maybe a 2pt margin if there's an empty-netter.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                              X