Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
    Friars pick up a commitment for the 2011-12 season. Shane Luke is LW playing in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL) for the Dauphin Kings. He was their leading scoring last year.

http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/playerprofi...player_id=4390
    According to USHR, Luke was recently named MVP of the 2010 Royal Bank Cup and is a First Team Manitoba Junior Hockey League All Star.
    A 6/5/90 birthdate from Saint Rose du Lac, Manitoba, Luke posted a 29-72-101 line in 62 games this season, finishing as the MJHL leading scorer with 101 points. He also led the league in assists with 72. Luke has very good hockey instincts, and a great stick. He's also quick, sees the ice well, is good in traffic, and is a dynamic offensive player. He fills a need for the Friars.
    Last edited by boblav1; 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Add him to Cross and Ferrulo and they have 3 new kids who can put the puck in the net...

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
        The basketball problems (performance and behavior) and the hockey problems (performance) are indicative of a program in big time trouble.

One reader posted "That's what happens when you are a small-time school that lives somewhere between the past and the delusional reality of the present." That, I think, is the sad story of PC sports.
        Pretty much. The thing is, leave the Big East and see where the interest in the team is. Isn't one of the main draws that PC fans get to see some of the top teams in the country on a regular basis? And most years, the team is competitive?
        It's a really awful situation to get out of. But I don't think Keano is off to a great start.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I see this year as a bad year for Keno and maybe even one more to get back to where they were before all this hit.....on the other hand Army could be starting an upward charge (as if there were another way to go) with the group left and the incoming freshmen and as long as Beaudry remains healthy I think we make the playoffs, but on the road this year......at least I have something to look foward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
            I liked the quote in the projo where Fr. Shanley says he thinks you can evaluate a coach after 6 years. Sounds like its time!
            No kidding. That is the exact same thing I thought when I read that comment, Netman. He does know there's a hockey program, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Pretty much. The thing is, leave the Big East and see where the interest in the team is. Isn't one of the main draws that PC fans get to see some of the top teams in the country on a regular basis? And most years, the team is competitive?
              It's a really awful situation to get out of. But I don't think Keano is off to a great start.
              I'll still never forgive Keno for being unable to remember the name of the kid who was assaulted -- a couple of days after it happened. I know nothing about Davis but he seems oblivious to what is happening off the court and does not come off as a particularly bright guy. Either way this has been one of the most damaging off-seasons ever for the school and the program.

As far as the future of PC hoops, I completely agree with you guys. The Friars are in a tough spot because they are essentially Providence's "pro sports team." They generate loads of revenue at the Dunk, which is owned by the city. So both the city and the school need the team in the Big East -- even if it's becoming more and more obvious at this point that they no longer belong there.

One comment I heard from a PC PR guy (whose name escapes me) on the radio after the assault was that he'd like to see PC follow "Butler's lead" in what they did this past season. The thing is -- to do that, you can't be in the Big East. It's never going to happen. If you want to recruit more academically inclined players, being a "mid major" is the only solution there, and then every few years you can do what Butler does and that's make a major charge in the NCAAs. It can be done, but not with the model PC is currently following. And you'd have to take a hit at the gate and in terms of the overall "model" of your program to do that. In the long-term, it would be for the best IMO, because as the years go on, it is clear that winning in the Big East for schools like PC is becoming more and more difficult. And soon it's going to be impossible, if it isn't already. This isn't the same landscape as 10, 20 years ago, and PC isn't going to be able to keep up with "the big boys" and be anything other than a whipping boy in this overstuffed conference.

I still think the Big East is eventually going to splinter (good luck keeping it together with John Marinatto in command! lol). The football schools are going to break away from the smaller hoops-only schools, i.e. PC, Seton Hall, St. John's, etc. (programs that have struggled all now for years). Perhaps a new, smaller conference will emerge where PC can play some of their current rivals like those schools but be in a conference where they can be more annually competitive and not "sell their soul" to recruit kids that end up causing problems like these young men unfortunately have.

It'd be one thing if they recruited "good kids" who didn't necessarily have the ability to get into the school otherwise, but they didn't embarrass the school. And another if they actually won. They're doing neither now, and you have to wonder what the endgame is going to be.

The other thing is that the way everything was handled from Davis to Shanley, the current state of athletics at PC as Freds mentioned -- this has been a total, unmitigated disaster. The things we complain about in terms of how the hockey team is handled, all reared themselves with the hoops program and the school's response to a much larger degree. There are, clearly, major, major problems institutionally it seems at PC, from the top down. No surprises, I think, to a lot of us here, but none of it bodes well for the future -- and it's something that seems blatantly obvious to all except the bouncy-ball kool-aid drinkers who seem to think this is just par for the course. Maybe at schools like Kentucky and UNLV it is, but not at a school like Providence.
              Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Following the trail that HM started leads back to the HOCKEY GUY! Can him! Bring in Donald Trump to do it!
                Providence College
                National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

2000 you are right on except the State now owns the Dunk and all its bills

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                    2000 you are right on except the State now owns the Dunk and all its bills
                    Right, thanks Satyking. Same difference though. They will want to to keep making $$ and bringing in the big boys.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                      I
                      I still think the Big East is eventually going to splinter (good luck keeping it together with John Marinatto in command! lol). The football schools are going to break away from the smaller hoops-only schools, i.e. PC, Seton Hall, St. John's, etc. (programs that have struggled all now for years). Perhaps a new, smaller conference will emerge where PC can play some of their current rivals like those schools but be in a conference where they can be more annually competitive and not "sell their soul" to recruit kids that end up causing problems like these young men unfortunately have.
                      The football schools (and the thought of UCONN as a football school is hilarious) are forever threatening to do this and they haven't done it yet.

I'd love to see PC in a conference they can actually compete in - year in an year out. Joining the Big East was the downfall of Friar basketball - with the exception of 1987, 1994, 1997, and a few of the Linnehan/Gomes teams...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Jon that just shows you the competition and the chance to win a title, no matter what the title is, mean nothing compared to the monetary rewards the school receives by being part of the big group.....the same applies to the once proud hockey program......all are driven by the greed factor and the player is not included in the equation

Comment

The football schools (and the thought of UCONN as a football school is hilarious) are forever threatening to do this and they haven't done it yet.
                          I get the feeling they will have no choice when the Big 10 expands (could be soon, no?) and things really start splintering off in other conferences. It won't be something they take the lead in doing, probably more of a reaction to what happens elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                            Jon that just shows you the competition and the chance to win a title, no matter what the title is, mean nothing compared to the monetary rewards the school receives by being part of the big group.....the same applies to the once proud hockey program......all are driven by the greed factor and the player is not included in the equation
                            Indeed, though you wonder how long either program can sustain years and years of failure in both.

What's the PR slogan going to be next season? "PC Hockey: At Least We Didn't Assault Anyone!"???!?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                              Indeed, though you wonder how long either program can sustain years and years of failure in both.

What's the PR slogan going to be next season? "PC Hockey: At Least We Didn't Assault Anyone!"???!?
                              Just to be clear, there is NO truth to the rumor that PC basketball players are walking around campus wearing shirts that read: I played for Providence College and all I got was this lousy mug shot!

Keno always looks aloof because he's still trying to figure out how he was able to land a job with little experience for ONE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR!!!!!

Gotta love Driscoll. If clueless were a disease, he's be terminal!!!

Comment

No our shirts read "PC Hockey....we hit nobody" and its true

Comment

Working...
                                X