Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
    HE has had more than its share of physical players who have given other conferences fits on the national stage. . Certainly I don't think you can say the WCHA is a "bangers league" in terms of its style of play versus Hockey East.

Minnesota's game, at least, is almost always about speed. As satyking mentions, the Gophers certainly do play a finesse game -- it's why they've had problems once they get into the NCAAs. Yes they have those two Frozen Fours in the last decade, but a host of other disappointments surrounding them for many years, because once they start playing teams from other conferences -- with players who knock them around -- they have had their problems. Glaring ones.
    We agree to disagree. HE is known as a skaters league, we didnt say teams, we said league...

HE is not known as a bangers league. The top teams have always been lead by speed and skill not size,and banging.
    Last edited by Hokydad; 03-30-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      We agree to disagree. HE is known as a skaters league, we didnt say teams, we said league...

HE is not known as a bangers league. The top teams have always been lead by speed and skill not size,and banging.
      I don't recall the BU and Maine teams which won in the '90s being finesse teams necessarily. The BC teams which won with Gionta and Gerbe were quick and skilled, of course, but also very physical -- it's not all about size, it's about the style in which they play. Those guys were certainly not afraid to throw their bodies around either.

Anyway, this line of the conversation started with a comparison of Minnesota with UNH. Minnesota certainly has been playing a finesse game for years on a large sheet of ice. The WCHA has gone through periods where they've had teams that score a lot of goals and then go into the NCAAs and struggle -- Minnesota's teams being a paramount example of that. Wisconsin and North Dakota less so in the last 10 years. Still, you watch WCHA regular season games for years as many of us do on the dish, and you see teams that fly up and down the ice. Once they get into the NCAAs they can't do that, and they have to grind it out more often.

I wouldn't necessarily generalize and say HE is known for "Bangers," but the style of play in the league is often more physical than, at least, what Minnesota has played for many years. It's why outside of their 2 FF wins they failed for almost decades once they got into national playoff competition.
      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily generalize and say HE is known for "Bangers," but the style of play in the league is often more physical than, at least, what Minnesota has played for many years. It's why outside of their 2 FF wins they failed for almost decades once they got into national playoff competition.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your talking about exactly what happened to BC until Gionta led them to the promise land

Comment

To add to that the BC teams that featured Gionta and Gerbe had many "bangers" that set up the little guys who by the way had a center of gravity just above the ankle.....you could hit them, cross-check them, push or pull them and they would still be standing at the side of the net waiting for the puck......they had the speed but they also had the helpers.....I think Eaves for one would be insulted to be called a European style player.....this is also true for the good Maine teams under Walsh

Comment

Sounds like your talking about exactly what happened to BC until Gionta led them to the promise land
            To some degree yeah, though BC had gotten to the FF a number of times and just couldn't win it until 01. I wouldn't say they "struggled" nationally in the '90s once York took over, they often won NCAA games but just not the whole thing (and the bounce of a puck wasn't with them at least a couple of times too; that championship game with Michigan in '98 being an example of that, outplayed them badly but ended up hitting the post a few times, etc. before losing in OT).

Minnesota on the other hand would get into the NCAA's and be "one and done" for a while as memory serves. Their struggles were even worse for a long time...losing is losing, though being unlucky vs. just being beaten are two different things, admittedly.

Comment

Judging from what I see on the Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, and Nodak games I get every weekend, it seems like the WCHA is a more physical league.

I've always thought BC was under rated as a physical team.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Has anybody floated by Schneider recently? Just wondering...

Comment

ha well the entire campus has been underwater for the past two days...i had to wade to class. felt like a duck. you'd think that for 40k a year PC could figure out how to drain the campus during a rainstorm.
                  Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

One would think PC could do a lot of things better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                      One would think PC could do a lot of things better.

They are creating a state of the art Lax "stadium" which will provide an opportunity for families to enjoy an outdoor sport on campus! What more do you want????

Don't you know that this game that originated with the Native people of this country and perfected by dirty French trappers and Jesuits, is the sport of the future!!!

PC's Lax Stadium will be the envy of all the land.
                      Eat your heart out J. Hopkins, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC et al.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                        Has anybody floated by Schneider recently? Just wondering...
                        Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                        ha well the entire campus has been underwater for the past two days...i had to wade to class. felt like a duck. you'd think that for 40k a year PC could figure out how to drain the campus during a rainstorm.
                        *rimshot*

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                        Don't you know that this game that originated with the Native people of this country and perfected by dirty French trappers and Jesuits, is the sport of the future!!!
                        Maybe that's the problem. The school is run by dominicans!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Maybe that's the problem. The school is run by dominicans!
                          Is there a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                            so i heard two days ago from a reliable source (read: one of my two friends who got recruited by PC but is not going to attend due to tim army) that brice o'connor de-committed. he was listed on the heisenberg list until today. thoughts? comments? i'm pretty upset, not going to lie...he's a really good player and was certainly going to help PC.

also, isn't it strange that the one recruit with the deepest connection to pc hockey (minus derek army, obviously) is running from the program as fast as he can?

Of all people you don't get this you lucky bugger member of the class of '13 as opposed to '14?

You do realize not all scholarships are equal. You get 18 and divy them up accordingly to build a team. Spreading them out is a science. What isn't covered under the scholarship the player foots. The school can offer the same Financial aid package to attract him as they would a normal student--say you for instance. My understanding is that O'Connor was to be a 2 for 4. Meaning he is on the hook for year one and year two tution, room and board, fees etc etc. Basically through the formula schools use the family must have been happy with the way the package was designed and how much they would pick up. However unlike your class the incoming class has been hit with a late announced surcharge on their tution of 5K. Bascially O'Connor is now left holding the bag to come up with that money. Since the financial route was pretty much by formula the only way to reduce that is to get a better deal then a 2 for 4. As much as you might like him he ain't worth more then a 2 for 4. Wouldn't blame Army or even Driscoll on this one. I'd blame the school for the late decision to nail the incoming class. Its another nail in all the other programs they rely on partials/walk ons to fill out their ranks which is all sports but the men and women's basketball teams.

On the other hand O'Connor has few options if my understanding of his age is correct. He's coming in as a 21 year old freshman. If he can't hook onto a D1 program now he will have but 3 years of eligiblity left as you lose a year for every year over 21. Certainly the late timing of this puts him in a bind. Most Hockey East schools have committed all their money for the class of '14 so unless they think its worth robbing the future to grab him he's as much an interchangable part to them as many other prospects out their for the class of '15. Beside losing the year delaying another year he's used up his junior eligiblity so finding a place to play while waiting will be difficult. Further even getting him 2 for 3 means getting him money is most cases for the 12-13 season and 13-14 season. The partials the coaches will want to give in most cases next year will not include 12-13 seasons, those are already promised, unless someone leaves, but for 14-15 which he would not be eligible to play. Further D3 offers aid so going that route is still going to cost more in most cases (unless you get a nice finanaical package from say a Keene State and factor in state tution) as your 2 year free boat is gone.
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                              Is there a difference?
                              "You know what I think?"
                              "What?"
                              "I think it's the Dominicans. Go ask them."
                              -The Exorcist (paraphrasing because my wife won't let me watch that movie)

Aside from friars vs priests and the Albigensian Heresy and the Inquisition, the main difference seems to be that the Jezzies are still good at sports.

-Blackadder
                              -Casablanca
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

eh, i wouldn't say holy cross is that good...
                                i do like the albigensian joke though.
                                Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X