Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

HOPEFULLY by my junior year. beaudry, bergland and new will be seniors, the current class will be juniors (provided none of them leave) and assuming the new recruits won't suck too terribly...
    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
      HOPEFULLY by my junior year. beaudry, bergland and new will be seniors, the current class will be juniors (provided none of them leave) and assuming the new recruits won't suck too terribly...
      I think that Beaudry will go down as the second best goalie to have attended Providence College before it's all said and done.
      He is an absolute beast and he keeps PC in games which is all you can ask. He's has a few clunker games in his time w/ the Friars but was very solid overall last season.
      PC's problem is their lack of scoring ability. Hopefully they can develop someone else with some scoring punch in addition to Bergland.

Imagine how this team would do if you coupled Beaudry with any scoring to speak of???

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        yes, i saw a PC hockey shirt or two, maybe you..........and, yes, there is concern. save terreri, save terreri, save terreri , save terreri! i still see it in my sleep
        I'm suddenly reminded of walking into a bar in Detroit after day 1 of GLI (when Michigan basically beat Team Army like a red headed step child) and having a random MTU fan scream "Chris Terreri!"

Ah, I miss relevance.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
          Actually I think it's my fault. 91 went on hiatus, I felt like I had to pick up the slack to countereffect the conversation at hand. Clearly my negativity sucks!
          Yes please improve your negativity!
          Providence College
          National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
            I was rooting for UNH so it is my fault.
            I knew I didn't like you!

Welcome back!

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
            Well it was a lot of fun to watch good hockey this weekend. I really can't wait to see PC back in the NCAA's year-after-year. I expect that will happen starting in... too sleepy to finish post.
            If UNH is going to keep playing like they did against RIT (apparently the previous three games were aberrations), UNH could just give PC they're berth to the tourney. Could PC do worse?
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

As long as UNH plays and practices on that over-sized sheet of ice they will go nowhere.....when they hit the standard NHL size rink they are not ready for the hits and closeness of the game and fall apart

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                As long as UNH plays and practices on that over-sized sheet of ice they will go nowhere.....when they hit the standard NHL size rink they are not ready for the hits and closeness of the game and fall apart
                This may be one aspect of the problem, but not the main one. UNH made the Frozen Four in '98, '99, '02, and '03 playing games on the small sheet. Last year in Manch they shocked North Dakota, and outplayed overall #1 BU for much of the game. They thoroughly trounced Cornell on the NHL sheet in Albany this year. And then there's the 07-08 season, where they got trounced by Notre Dame in the regionals, on Olympic ice (and were better on the road than at home).

Also, Minnesota plays on 200x100, and Wisconsin plays on 200x97. Neither of those teams seems to have the problems UNH has, so I'm going to guess it's a little more than "their home rink is too big".
                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post

If UNH is going to keep playing like they did against RIT (apparently the previous three games were aberrations), UNH could just give PC they're berth to the tourney. Could PC do worse?
                  Is that a challenge?

I've said it before, I'll say it again: PC plays hard. They just can't score enough. Alex Beaudry is going to go down as one of the best players in PC history. But he's alone.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Is that a challenge?

I've said it before, I'll say it again: PC plays hard. They just can't score enough. Alex Beaudry is going to go down as one of the best players in PC history. But he's alone.
                    One UNH goal was a nice tip, the other was a nice cross-ice pass for a one-timer. I think PC could pull that off. And, I think Beaudry would have stopped at least one of the 3 goals RIT scored in 94 seconds (probably the first, which most likely would have stemmed the tide), and would have given up less than 5 goals.

So, yeah, I think PC could have done better. Not sure about the Cornell game (no disrespect intended, I really just don't know how PC would have fared - that was some other UNH team that played in that game).
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

PC can't score and Cornell does nothing but play defense and blast show tunes. i think PC would be screwed...

-Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

This hasn't been a problem for Minnesota in the past so I don't know why it would be a problem for UNH.

Edit: Ah, I didn't see what thecomicbookguy said. My bad!
                        Boston College '12
                        1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Minn plays in a diff style conference, more speed and finesse.... HE is a pound it out conference hit and hit some more....I think the ice size is a big part of their trouble not the only part but a major part

Comment

Minn plays in a diff style conference, more speed and finesse.... HE is a pound it out conference hit and hit some more....I think the ice size is a big part of their trouble not the only part but a major part
                            Really? To the contrary HE is known as a smaller players, speed game. The vast majority of their superstars have been then Gerbe, Gionta, Bradford, Warsofsky types. I dont think HE is known as a bangers league at all.

Much more of a league known for speed. Thats why it used to have trouble when they hooked up with the North Dakotas of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              This may be one aspect of the problem, but not the main one.
                              I agree, and I think preparation -- pure coaching -- is a major issue. I'm not going to trash Umile as some of the fanbase is doing right now, but UNH has just shown up DOA at times in key games...you don't need me to name them for you, but I will say the first Frozen Four they made with Umile, the coach had taken the team to the grave of Charlie Holt, what, the day before? Then they came out that afternoon in Boston and played like they were dead. I remember one impartial fan screaming out "we're paying for this!" at one point during the 2nd period.

Last weekend -- again, they look great against Cornell. And then failed to show up against RIT the next day. As much as RIT is a nice story this year, and played well obviously, there's no excuse for not even being in that game. That kind of performance makes you wonder about how prepared the team is, when you get wild fluctuations in performance coming on back to back days.

As you say, the team has played well in Albany at times...that OT win over BU years ago even got me excited at the time, and I'm no UNH fan obviously...so I don't think ice surface is even the #1 reason you can cite for their lack of success on the big-time stage anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                Really? To the contrary HE is known as a smaller players, speed game. The vast majority of their superstars have been then Gerbe, Gionta, Bradford, Warsofsky types. I dont think HE is known as a bangers league at all.

Much more of a league known for speed. Thats why it used to have trouble when they hooked up with the North Dakotas of the world.
                                HE has had more than its share of physical players who have given other conferences fits on the national stage. Certainly I don't think you can say the WCHA is a "bangers league" in terms of its style of play versus Hockey East.

Minnesota's game, at least, is almost always about speed. As satyking mentions, the Gophers certainly do play a finesse game -- it's why they've had problems once they get into the NCAAs. Yes they have those two Frozen Fours in the last decade, but a host of other disappointments surrounding them for many years, because once they start playing teams from other conferences -- with players who knock them around -- they have had their problems. Glaring ones.
                                Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X