Hockey East Playoff Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Playoff Attendance

Is it spring break for every team in HE? I could be wrong, but I don't remember the attendances being this bad before (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong). Especially considering the teams hosting games this weekend.

Maine 3,000 exactly.
    BC 2,888
    UNH 3,712
    BU 3,508

Unfortunately with the schedule the way it is, I don't think HE can do anything about this.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Re: Hockey East Playoff Attendance

That 3,508 number at BU last night was being very generous...it was more like 2,500 IMHO.
    "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
    "Why?"
    "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
      That 3,508 number at BU last night was being very generous...it was more like 2,500 IMHO.
      From what I heard from both BC and Lowell fans, the numbers in their respective games were also possibly a bit exaggerated.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

UNH is on Spring Break.. no way they would have had 3500 fans otherwise. Just unfortunate that SB could not be NEXT week or the one after.
        Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
        ECAC Tourney Champs 79
        Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
        Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
        Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
        NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
          UNH is on Spring Break.. no way they would have had 3500 fans otherwise. Just unfortunate that SB could not be NEXT week or the one after.
          I don't think it would have been much more. Its not like the Students get that many tickets to begin with....

Attendance always sucks for the qf's, and UNH's has steadily declined from being much better than average to about average...

Comment

Student sections were full at BC (our spring break was last week). Plus UMass brought a decent sized student section. Nobody else showed up. But I actually think the 2888 was lower than who was there...because they gave us a higher attendance number for the game vs. Merrimack on 2/23, and there was NO WAY that that game had more people than this one. I'm wondering if the short notice of knowing who plays at home has anything to do with why quarterfinal attendance is so low?
            Boston College '12
            1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Originally posted by bcfan131 View Post
              I'm wondering if the short notice of knowing who plays at home has anything to do with why quarterfinal attendance is so low?
              Doubtful. If people want to go, they go.
              UNH and BC knew for weeks they'd have home games, the other schools didn't know for sure until last Fri/Sat...

Comment

I'd be interested to see how our attendance would've done had we been paired up against BU. We always sell out against BU...but quarterfinal attendance is always horrible. Something would have to give.
                I actually heard that quarterfinal games are not included on the season ticket package at BC as well (I know they aren't for students, anyway). Is this the case with other schools? I thought I saw BU fans saying those are included as part of their season ticket packages...
                It is quite the enigma as to why the HE tournament is so sparcely attended, especially in the quarterfinal round. Even if a game is considered big enough to the fans while the students are on a break, it'll reach close to capacity (see BC-UNH attendance last week at BC, see BU-NU attendance at BU last week). Plus if I remember correctly, the HE Quarters vs. UNH was the only time I've ever seen BC advertise tickets for a road game...and we brought out a pretty healthy contingent of students to UNH.
                Boston College '12
                1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Originally posted by bcfan131 View Post
                  I'd be interested to see how our attendance would've done had we been paired up against BU. We always sell out against BU...but quarterfinal attendance is always horrible. Something would have to give.
                  2004 Quarterfinals attendance hosting BU (as the 1 seed)
                  3/11/2004: 3250
                  3/12/2004: 4706
                  3/13/2004: 4329

Comment

The BC students actually gave a good showing last night. I'm discouraged with the season tickets holders in the red seats, most of whom are alumni. I hesitate to call them fans. I believe that rather than just makeing these tickets available to season ticket holders, giving them the option to buy them, they should be part of the package. If you buy season tix and the team advances your account will be charged and tickets mailed to your home. Don't give them the option.
                    sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Ah yes...that series...
                      Back then, my sister went to BC, and if I remember correctly, the quarterfinals used to be during the BC spring break...it's only been recently that they've been after spring break. I remember attending the infamous Pat Eaves/Joe Exter quarterfinal game, which was during BC's spring break in 2003. Regardless even if that game didn't have students and students were there, it wouldn't have sold out (unless BU fans were around to make the short trip as well and brought boatloads of their fans). Definitely something about the Hockey East Quarters, because any other BC-BU game at Conte would sell out, regardless of whether or not there was a student section.
                      Boston College '12
                      1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

I agree with your entire post jdevoejr. Especially for a program like BC or UNH which almost always are host teams - include these games in the ticket package.

I was very impressed with the BC student turnout last night, it was about three times bigger than I thought it would be. It actually surpassed an average regular season game if you count the decent chunk in the upper deck.
                        Last edited by joegrav; 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM.
                        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                        -
                        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Another thing that probably hurts HE QF attendance for people who aren't fanatics like us and like to pick and choose their games - with the semis & finals at the Garden next week and regionals in two weeks, I've heard people say "I don't feel like driving in to BC for games we should probably win easily anyway."

I wonder if that attitude exists at some of the other schools, particularly ones who don't 'expect' to have bigger games. How did Northeastern draw at home for HE QFs last year? Has UMass ever hosted (I don't think so)?
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                            I agree with your entire post jdevoejr. Especially for a program like BC or UNH which almost always are host teams - include these games in the ticket package..
                            i have to pay for three playoff home games up front in july/august. if they are not played i have the option of either applying any balance to my next season's bill or donating the amount to FOH.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                              Has UMass ever hosted (I don't think so)?
                              2004 vs Lowell

2007 vs Maine
                              MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
                              NCAA Appearance: 2007
                              1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
                              http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X