This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

the only aspect that UNH has to worry about Watcher is getting a new Admissions Officer....as I stated before, UNH gets the level A players to look at it but then they can't get them in.....
    Also my earlier post about Burke and Foley , in NO WAY is a statement on Umile.....on the contary, I have always said that I personally do not care if we fly a banner in Durham...sure it would be great for Umile, Marty, and the program but I'd much rather have an exciting chase, year in and out, always going to the games knowing we are in the hunt with a chance to make the NCAA's, then be out of the chase, in 6th place and not caring about a win or loss......how many school's do what UNH does? Maybe 10 or 12 programs in the country? Not bad for a small state school......

Comment

Originally posted by UNHWILDCATS05 View Post
      Per The Union Leader, Umile's actual salary is a little over $170k... As I recall the $382 figure included All of his earnings (i.e. from other deals, deferred compensation... etc.)
      But, this link and salary is for 2007. I believe that Umile's salary more than doubled in 2008 ($370k?) because of a lot of deferred compensation from way back when UMass tried to hire him away. I remember reading in the 28 February 2010 MUL that his salary had dropped back into the low $200k range for 2009, much less than President Huddleston's $370k, but much more than Gov John Lynch's $117k, I think. I seem to recall that Lynch's body guard makes lots more than Lynch does.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Send them over. I'll have plenty of time this weekend, before the Selection Show on Sunday. Anyone know what time it is?
        I believe it is at 11:30 on ESPN2

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
          *I'm pretty sure his salary, while good, isn't near what you've quoted, and what the hell are perqs?
          Perquisites, thanks for asking. I am glad I could help.
          "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
          Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            You're looking at on ice results. Umile is loyal, but Marty would have a big say on it. The only pressure is from loss of season ticket renewals, loss of NCAA tourney and HE revenues. UNH's drop in ticket sales may be the pressure needed to make stubborn Umile make a change.
            Hadn't looked at it from that angle.

I think it is time to change recruiting because it isn't working as well as in the past. Having heard Borek talk he seems like a nice guy and I would rather he be hired away but since McCloskey left the PP% has dropped each year and the recruits aren't as good. Both of those point to him as the change needed. Younger blood would be good too.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              Hadn't looked at it from that angle.

I think it is time to change recruiting because it isn't working as well as in the past. Having heard Borek talk he seems like a nice guy and I would rather he be hired away but since McCloskey left the PP% has dropped each year and the recruits aren't as good. Both of those point to him as the change needed. Younger blood would be good too.
              Offense is the problem, especially the PP. Lassonde is in charge of the defense and you have to say that it has been effective. As a former goalie, he has gotten just about every goalie UNH has had over the past 15 years to perform. The last flame out was Trent Cavicchi in '96, the back up was Brian LaRochelle, who they refused to play. The next season, with Sean Matile ineligible for the first 10 games, LaRochelle went, I think 10-1 (note: I just checked the media guide and Brian is not listed! What kind of message is that?) after Lassonde drilled him with the puck machine. The next weakest, I guess, was Matt Carney but he was a soldier in 2002.

Offensively, I just don't think we're effective. Too much reliance on transition, terribly ineffective when we have to establish a presence in the offensive zone and grind out goal. It wasn't always that way (2003 sticks out), but as the years have progressed we have become reliant on speed and scoring off transition and now, at least it appears that way, have no ability to maintain possession in the offensive zone and produce dirty goals. Being around the net, getting tips and rebounds, has always been the surest way to victory. Now if we can only get some players who are effective in that sort of game. I can only wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Offensively, I just don't think we're effective. Too much reliance on transition, terribly ineffective when we have to establish a presence in the offensive zone and grind out goal. It wasn't always that way (2003 sticks out), but as the years have progressed we have become reliant on speed and scoring off transition and now, at least it appears that way, have no ability to maintain possession in the offensive zone and produce dirty goals. Being around the net, getting tips and rebounds, has always been the surest way to victory. Now if we can only get some players who are effective in that sort of game. I can only wish.
                Agree 100%. All aspect of offense have dipped since McCloskey left. For me the PP% is the easest stat to look up.

09-10 = 16.9
                08-09 = 11.6
                07-08 = 18.2
                06-07 = 19.5
                05-06 = 19.8
                04-05 = 24.2
                03-04 = 20.0
                02-03 = 23.9
                01-02 = 29.4
                00-01 = 13.8
                Before this USCHO stats are funny and I am not looking up elsewhere. The trend is going the wrong way from a team annually in the 20's to now one around 15%.

But UNH has no 1/2 ice offense. Before it was just passable now it is absimal.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Congrats to Butler for being named at top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker.
                  UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Dick Umile was named Hockey East's Co-Coach of the Year along with Merrimack's Mark Dennehy.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      Dick Umile was named Hockey East's Co-Coach of the Year along with Merrimack's Mark Dennehy.
                      And Bobby Butler wins Hockey East Player of the Year!

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...ar18awards.php

And Bobby Butler
                      Brian Foster and
                      Blake Kessel are 1st Team ALL STARS!

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...18allstars.php
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

The only surprise in those awards is Foster on the First Team. Hutton had a way better year, and probably deserved to be 1st team all-HE. Voters are strange, at times, though. Congrats to the guys!
                        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                        -Fred Shero

Comment

Is it possible to simply feel pride and satisfaction with the accomplishments of the UNH hockey team and its players?
                          Is it necessary to succumb to the pressure of fans from other teams who insist on dumping on UNH (e.g. Umile didn't deserve Coach of the Year; Foster on the 1st Team is absurd; etc.)?
                          For the record, Brian played in 8 more Hockey East games than the UML goalie and his save percentage (which is more reflective of the goalie's performance than goals against) was better. These are the Hockey East awards so logically, Foster was the better goalie in Hockey East competition.
                          Last edited by C-H-C; 03-18-2010, 09:39 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                            Is it possible to simply feel pride and satisfaction with the accomplishment of the UNH hockey team and its players?
                            Is it necessary to succumb to the pressure of fans from other teams who insist on dumping on UNH (e.g. Umile didn't deserve Coach of the Year; Foster on the 1st Team is absurd; etc.)?
                            For the record, Brian played in 8 more Hockey East games than the UML goalie and his save percentage (which is more reflective of the goalie's performance than goals against) was better. These are the Hockey East awards so logically, Foster was the better goalie in Hockey East competition.
                            Per hockeyeastonline.com, Foster's Sv% was .913, Hutton's was .920. Foster did play in more games (almost all of them), which is probably why he made 1st team. I'm not trying to knock Foster, I just think Hutton was the better goalie this year.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Foster saved 764 out of the 837 shots on goal. The UML goalie saved 481 out of the 523 shots on goal. Hutton had a slightly better save percentage but Brian stopped a lot more rubber.

But whatever - the point is UNH fans have to swallow the disappointment of not being in the Hockey East semifinal game and possibly/probably not making it to the NCAA tournament. I refuse to feel crappy or ashamed of the team's accomplishments in the regular season.

Comment

so y'all excited?!?!?! i got you to win the NC at 25-1 tuesday
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X