X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    and Gare wouldn't have busted his shoulder.. (though I'm not sure how much difference he would have made vs. Minn' it would have been nice to have a full roster
    Or, Thomas Vanek to be more specific; that was a great game until Vanek broke it open......yeah, why cannot we recruit guys like dat?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
      I think the articles on the Friends' website compare favorably to what appears in the sports pages in the various NH papers. Gibber's pictures are tremendous, as always. Speaking of his photos, I wonder if he took the ones at Sunday's game for the AP. The one with the puck fluttering in the air while Madore has his eyes closed captures how close UNH came to scoring on a number of occasions.
      Thank you for the compliments, all of the AP photos were mine this weekend

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Thanks for the good words. I saw Gibber at the game on Sunday, working as an AP photographer. The pics he sends me are the ones that don't appear in the paper. Gibber is self taught and does a great job. He's a great fan too, on the Friends Board of Directors for the last few years.
      Its actually been 11 years (save for a few months away in California )
      And thank you too for the compliments... I spaced on sending you pix for the website, if you need some, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        I think the articles on the Friends' website compare favorably to what appears in the sports pages in the various NH papers. Gibber's pictures are tremendous, as always. Speaking of his photos, I wonder if he took the ones at Sunday's game for the AP. The one with the puck fluttering in the air while Madore has his eyes closed captures how close UNH came to scoring on a number of occasions.
        Better to be lucky than good (Madore)..or use "the force" whichever works best..

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
          I'm really having a hard time getting my head around this thread, after UNH's play/record has had a steady decline since the new year, and since the abysmal showing against UVM (with all due respect to that program), I wonder why any UNH fan would want to see them continue in the post-season with the likelihood of further embarrassment.
          We had a consensus a few years back that Mr. Umile has not had the exposure to a winning atmosphere, has not shown the ability to impart the necessary winning mentality to his players, in fact, does not have the coaching ability to carry his squad to the national title, recruiting notwithstanding, to wit, UNH has had a pathetic power play all season, and he was unable to make whatever adjustments were necessary to defeat UVM in this year's HE tourney.
          I'm a bit hesitant to totally indict the recruitment process at UNH, but I do put a lot of weight on the development and proper use of talent. So, UNH had a good year, exceeding many of our expectations, and Mr. Umile got his +/-$400,000/year salary plus perqs. Get out the golf clubs, right now in one form or another, that's the best we are going to see from UNH Hockey.
          Now that's how to comment on a game (team) without insulting the other team. As a UVM fan I appreciate the way you guys (UNH fans) can comment on your teams success (or lack thereof) without being condescending to the other team. Best of luck getting into the tourney and hope you do well (aside from if you play UVM)

Comment

Umile's 2008 salary was $382, 299.85 which was the highest paid salary for the state of NH employees. That is approx. $80k more than the UNH President and about 3x the salary for the Governor. Was too lazy to link the article, but you can Google the info.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlS View Post
              Umile's 2008 salary was $382, 299.85 which was the highest paid salary for the state of NH employees. That is approx. $80k more than the UNH President and about 3x the salary for the Governor. Was too lazy to link the article, but you can Google the info.
              I'm on that list too -- I have something in common w/ Coach!
              I haven't been on here in a year...
              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                Thank you for the compliments, all of the AP photos were mine this weekend
                Any chance of a link to the picture of Madore with his eyes closed?
                I haven't been on here in a year...
                Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                  Any chance of a link to the picture of Madore with his eyes closed?
                  It's on the Concord Monitor website, complete with a zoom feature.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p.../1009/SPORTS02
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 03-18-2010, 06:54 AM.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
                    in fact, does not have the coaching ability to carry his squad to the national title
                    Went to OT in Anahiem, doesn't get much closer than that does it? I've said it before and I will say it again, a bounce of the puck and UNH would have a banner, and Durham would have statues of Dick. Not to say I am not frustrated with past (and recent) playoff performances, but to say Umile does not have the ability to carry a team to a NC is not completely fair.

As far a the salary goes, it pales in comparison to many D-I head coaches. Do you suggest lowering his pay, or paying less for what, a less experianced lower profile coach?
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

it's a no brainer though so i don't want to give him too much credit for this, but at least ambrose is right about one thing when he says umile isn't going anywhere. if i was paid 382,299.85 i guess i wouldn't quit either

man, that's a hefty salary though. good for him
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

d.Gerry - I believe you are correct that his salary is lower than many D1 coaches. Someone can look that up. Personally, I don't have a problem with his salary. I have a problem with the state and what they can fund for overall salaries for the University System, but that is a whole other thread.

Comment

Guys, look on the bright side. You did finish #2 this year. Not in hockey mind you, but your state is the second highest in the nation in beer consumption per capita:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35897718?slide=15

In my state's defense, Mass should have been higher but all of the heavy drinkers (myself, BU2K, DavidB, etc) have switched to hard stuff and Brian Gentry moved out of state.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by CarlS View Post
                            d.Gerry - I believe you are correct that his salary is lower than many D1 coaches. Someone can look that up. Personally, I don't have a problem with his salary. I have a problem with the state and what they can fund for overall salaries for the University System, but that is a whole other thread.
                            Things that make you go hmm!

I may have to change my tune a bit on this one. After a brief search here is what I found for base salaries for some other D-1 positions. If Umile's $382K "base" pay is correct then he is paid pretty well. Again these are base pay amounts, they said Red earns another $145K from other deals.

Michigan - Red Berensen, $190,000 in 2008
                            Alaska Anchorage — Dave Shyiak, $110,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                            Minnesota – Don Lucia, $222,789 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                            Minnesota Duluth – Scott Sandelin, $150,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                            Minnesota State- Mankato – Troy Jutting, $138,000 in 2008-09, expected to sign contract extension
                            Michigan Tech – Jamie Russell, $116,759 in 2008-09, contract through 2011-12
                            North Dakota – Dave Hakstol, $210,000 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                            St. Cloud State – Bob Motzko, $167,000 in 2008-09, contract through 2014-15
                            Wisconsin – Mike Eaves, $229,511 in 2008-09, contract through 2013-14

Arguably some of these guys are not at Umile's level (ie, Minnesot State, Alaska Anchorage) but given recent results many are equal or better. Info on coaches such as York and Parket could not be found, but given their recent success (and private college) I would expect a much higher pay than Dick.

Also, does NH make Umile report "other income" as part of his salary? I am not sure, it is just a question, that to be fair we sould know.
                            Last edited by d.gerry; 03-18-2010, 08:33 AM.
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              Things that make you go hmm!

I may have to change my tune a bit on this one. After a brief search here is what I found for base salaries for some other D-1 positions. If Umile's $382K "base" pay is correct then he is paid pretty well. Again these are base pay amounts, they said Red earns another $145K from other deals.

Michigan - Red Berensen, $190,000 in 2008
                              Alaska Anchorage — Dave Shyiak, $110,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                              Minnesota – Don Lucia, $222,789 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                              Minnesota Duluth – Scott Sandelin, $150,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                              Minnesota State- Mankato – Troy Jutting, $138,000 in 2008-09, expected to sign contract extension
                              Michigan Tech – Jamie Russell, $116,759 in 2008-09, contract through 2011-12
                              North Dakota – Dave Hakstol, $210,000 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                              St. Cloud State – Bob Motzko, $167,000 in 2008-09, contract through 2014-15
                              Wisconsin – Mike Eaves, $229,511 in 2008-09, contract through 2013-14

Arguably some of these guys are not at Umile's level (ie, Minnesot State, Alaska Anchorage) but given recent results many are equal or better. Info on coaches such as York and Parket could not be found, but given their recent success (and private college) I would expect a much higher pay than Dick.

Also, does NH make Umile report "other income" as part of his salary? I am not sure, it is just a question, that to be fair we sould know.
                              Per The Union Leader, Umile's actual salary is a little over $170k... As I recall the $382 figure included All of his earnings (i.e. from other deals, deferred compensation... etc.)

Comment

Whatever it was, he owes about half of it to McCloskey, the man who made him.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X