X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    when the students are there , how many thousands more do they add, other schools had similiar attendance woes.
    Is what you're asking, "how many more students would there have been if it weren't spring break?" Certainly not "thousands", sad to say. I'm guessing a few hundred, maybe more, I don't know.
    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
      Is what you're asking, "how many more students would there have been if it weren't spring break?" Certainly not "thousands", sad to say. I'm guessing a few hundred, maybe more, I don't know.
      oooops that wasnt the answer i was looking for , they usualy fill the back bowl , sometimes on both ends , thats a few thousand no . i would have gone but was going to watch in boston , as i live in RI. my Guess the economy had something to do with it , will not mention this years record

Comment

Its hard for them not to get in , but im sure Priceless has one scenario
        There are a bunch of ways they can be out. However the more I play with the predictor the more I think they are most likely in. Before I started playing with the predictor I figured they were out except a few cases. Now I think they may be in except a few cases.

OUT Scenarios

1. All higher seeds win except BU beats Vermont - UNH 14 and OUT
        2. All higher seeds win except Manie beats Vermont - UNH 14 (13 tied) and OUT
        3. All higher seeds win except BU beats Vermont - UNH 14 and OUT
        4. All higher seeds win except UMD beats UND and SCSU - UNH 15 and OUT
        5. All higher seeds win except UMD beats UND and Denver and drops the game with WISC, Denver beats SCSU - UNH 15 and OUT
        6. All higher seeds win except UMD beats UND and Denver and WISC, Denver beats SCSU - UNH 15 and OUT

Most of these UNH is back in if RIT has a single loss. Seems like UNH fans should be big fans of who ever is playing RIT. Unfortunately looking at how RIT is playing I don't think they are going to drop a game. Funny thing is looking at RIT schedule it is amazing it impacts UNH as much as it does. RIT didn't win a non-conference game. However it is clear if RIT is not a TUC it is very good for UNH. Therefore it is not RIT that impacts UNH it is whoever comes in as a TUC (not always the same team) that impacts somebody else.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by unh_insider View Post
          Agreed.
          Beating the trap takes a little planning, but is not impossible.
          You'd think Umile and the crew could figure it out.
          Also, can someone explain why the line changes in potentially the last game of the year. On Friday night, Leblanc's line produced 7 or so points, and lately has been almost as productive as the TBD.
          It is not beating the trap that was the problem. They were OK with that. The problem was UVM very rarely let up odd man rushes and when they did kept the play to the outside and denied the pass. UVM took away the center of the offensive zone and UNH rarely went there. Easy for a quality goal to make lots of saves from low percentage areas. UNHs only real offense was on the break out / transition. UNH is clueless how the generate a goal against a good D cycling the puck.

UVM made UNH play UVMs game.

As for the line switch I thought it was a good try. The second line was getting nothng going Saturday because they had no size and UVM was just forcing all the play wide. Burke added size and created space for the other two on the 2nd line, he did go to the hard areas. Also Burke was getting lost / left behind on the 3rd line and Moses was leaving this linemates in the dust on the 2nd.

My biggest issue was no 4th line ice time. McCarey and Henrion have scored some big goals as of late and have some size. At a minimum they could have gone out there with a hard forecheck and hit Vermonts D.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

when the students are there , how many thousands more do they add, other schools had similiar attendance woes.
            Yep - Munn arena was half empty and it was MSU v Michigan. I remember back in the days if Snively that the playoff rounds would not be sold out and the noise level was almost never the same as a regular season game.

Comment

Can someone describe UVM's goal? Was it a good goal? Garbage goal?
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                Can someone describe UVM's goal? Was it a good goal? Garbage goal?
                Kessel tried to flip the puck off the glass out of zone from about the faceoff dot. It took a weird bounce off the glass, Borisenok couldn't control it with either stick or skate. The UVM player picked it up going cross ice below the top of the circles, when he got to about mid ice he shot back across to the top corner. Foster wasn't screened but it was a well placed shot with the goalie tracking away from the puck.

Good goal, weird bonuce of the puck to set it up.

I have noticed in recent years BC and now UVM are much better at coralling bouncing pucks. BC has scored a fair number out of mid air. It may not just be recent years and goes back to UNH always having a hard time manufacturing dirty goals, they aren't good at controlling twisting & bouncing rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  It is not beating the trap that was the problem. They were OK with that. The problem was UVM very rarely let up odd man rushes and when they did kept the play to the outside and denied the pass. UVM took away the center of the offensive zone and UNH rarely went there. Easy for a quality goal to make lots of saves from low percentage areas. UNHs only real offense was on the break out / transition. UNH is clueless how the generate a goal against a good D cycling the puck.

UVM made UNH play UVMs game.

As for the line switch I thought it was a good try. The second line was getting nothng going Saturday because they had no size and UVM was just forcing all the play wide. Burke added size and created space for the other two on the 2nd line, he did go to the hard areas. Also Burke was getting lost / left behind on the 3rd line and Moses was leaving this linemates in the dust on the 2nd.

My biggest issue was no 4th line ice time. McCarey and Henrion have scored some big goals as of late and have some size. At a minimum they could have gone out there with a hard forecheck and hit Vermonts D.
                  Henrion wasn't even dressed. How do you trade him and his potential for Pavalski on the last day? And I disagree with you on the second-line switch as a "good try". Cutting back Moses's (25 points) playing time and adding Burke's (8 points) does not seem like a statistically logical choice...especially when your team desperately needs to generate offense. Trying Speelman with Borisenok instead of McCarey didn't seem to pan out either.
                  Also, the size difference between UVM and UNH wasn't obvious on Friday night.
                  When you're at the prom, you should be dancin with the one that brung ya.

Comment

Henrion wasn't even dressed. How do you trade him and his potential for Pavalski on the last day? And I disagree with you on the second-line switch as a "good try". Cutting back Moses's (25 points) playing time and adding Burke's (8 points) does not seem like a statistically logical choice...especially when your team desperately needs to generate offense. Trying Speelman with Borisenok instead of McCarey didn't seem to pan out either.
                    Which ones that brung ya, the ones that played the most uninspired game in the last 10 years that I've seen? The ones that didn't come close to scoring Saturday night?

The truth is, why not try a switch, and that line had the better of the scoring chances last night. There was a stretch in the third period where they won several faceoffs in a row and generated the best offensive chances from within the zone all weekend. I understand what you're saying, but disagree, and as far as Henrion, who cares who's on the 4th line if you're only going to see 2 shifts in the game....

Comment

Considering UNH basically went 1-2-3-1-2-3 there wasn't much difference in ice time for any of the lines.

The difference between Friday and Saturday-Sunday was the style of play UVM was determined to impose. If you had left the lines like Saturday the result Sunday would have likely been the same. UNH need to find some way to change the style of play to one more of UNHs style. I think the idea was to add a physical presence to the 2nd line and put the very fast 3rd line back together.

UVM was determined to make it "1/2 ice" hockey. The second line was lost much of Saturday because of the style by UVM they just had nothing. Burke on the second line at least gave that line some chance to cycle which they did. He is one of the few UNH forwards all weekend that could beat the UVM D along the wall.

You would have thought it smart if one of the three failed attempts by Leblanc to pass the puck to the open Burke in OT would have worked, it would have been a tap in goal. I think they generated more good opportunities Sunday but had the same result of not converting.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        We have an all-star team of recruits who don't show up. Who is to blame? i only wish Dick applied the same accountability standards elsewhere as he does to the kids.

Time to send out a batch of new emails to 14 year olds.
                        Couple pages back I agreed missing the NCAAs would be a good boot in the butt. Walking to the Whitt Sunday I was certain UNH wouldn't win that game, I still went a cheered but I just knew. Today I have the same feeling that they will be in the NCAAs. Things have to break "right" for them not to get in as a 4 seed and with a little "luck" a 3 seed.

Has Umile ever canned an assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          Which ones that brung ya, the ones that played the most uninspired game in the last 10 years that I've seen? The ones that didn't come close to scoring Saturday night?

The truth is, why not try a switch, and that line had the better of the scoring chances last night. There was a stretch in the third period where they won several faceoffs in a row and generated the best offensive chances from within the zone all weekend. I understand what you're saying, but disagree, and as far as Henrion, who cares who's on the 4th line if you're only going to see 2 shifts in the game....
                          These ones:

12 Butler, Bobby 37 27 23 50
                          17 Thompson, Paul 37 17 19 36
                          20 Kessel, Blake 36 9 26 35
                          09 Leblanc, Peter 37 14 20 34
                          39 DeSimone, Phil 37 9 25 34
                          19 Sislo, Mike 37 12 15 27
                          22 Moses, Stevie 37 6 18 24
                          14 Borisenok, Mike 37 6 9 15
                          4 Kipp, Damon 37 3 12 15

Uninspired or not, they have to be on the ice as much as possible to have the best chance of winning. PP, PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4...it doesn't matter.
                          Simple as that.

Comment

UNH Fan Forum Awards*

Player of the Year
                            Co-Winners: Bobby Butler and Brian Foster

Most Improved Player
                            Co-Winners: Mike Borisenok and Phil DeSimone

Defensive Defenseman
                            Matt Campanale

Offensive Defenseman
                            Blake Kessel

Defensive Forward
                            Peter LeBlanc

Rookie Defenseman of the Year
                            Brett Kostolansky

Rookie Forward of the Year
                            Greg Burke

*(This probably is premature but it beats feeling crappy about this weekend).
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

interesting reading this last page...thanks Gents....it does suck having a weekend past like UNH did...I hope you guys follow the women's program, if only to see that they played a great game against UMD, only to lose by a PP goal.....anyway the other games hopefully will play out correctly...if too many lower seeds pull the upset, that will b cuirtains for us, for sure....you have that right JB.....this is what happens when the league gets the parity it wants! Talked with Bertagna on saturday night....talking about the attendance for Friday nghts games around the other leagues.....interesting discussion....we all know it was pitiful at the Whitt.....student break or not a real poor showing by supposed UNH fans....talk about losing out n the NCAA's as a kick in the butt? What should be done to kick this spoiled fan base in the Butt? Is anyone aware of what UNH does given the lack of monetary support it gets from Alumni and the State? If not for the Friends group and a handful of loyal sponsors, we wouldn't be D-1 for very long......I'm just saying.
                              CHC, how were the DVD's? The golden age of UNH hockey or what )

Comment

Wrote on other threads before the UNH-UVM quarters that team that skated hardest would win. And UVM skated hardest and won.

In pairwise, UVM is ahead of UNH. If they lose to BC in semis, given this last weekend, still deserve to be in NCAA before Wildcats. BU and UMaine close behind in pairwise and play each other; one should move up and probably ahead of UNH. And if either beats BC in final, will surely pass UNH. Not only is 20 win streak over, NCAA string probably as well. I have a cap that sums up being a Wildcat fan at this time: "Life is Crap."

Comment

Working...
                                X