What happens to the tournament ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to the tournament ratio?

What will happen to the tournament ratio now that LVC has dropped its program and has gone to ACHA?

Scranton is still considered a Div. III Independent do they count towards that ratio of teams and since Lebanon Valley is still being funded by the Athletic department I assume that it will also be considered an Independent. Help me to understand this process as Alvernia University also funds there program under the athletic department but I wonder if they have to follow and report them to the NCAA, because if they do then they also should be considered an NCAA Div. III Independent.

Re: What happens to the tournament ratio?

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
    What will happen to the tournament ratio now that LVC has dropped its program and has gone to ACHA?

Scranton is still considered a Div. III Independent do they count towards that ratio of teams and since Lebanon Valley is still being funded by the Athletic department I assume that it will also be considered an Independent. Help me to understand this process as Alvernia University also funds there program under the athletic department but I wonder if they have to follow and report them to the NCAA, because if they do then they also should be considered an NCAA Div. III Independent.
    To count as an NCAA D3 program, you must play a majority of your games against NCAA D3 competition.

The ratio is on the cusp. 71.5 programs are required for an 11 team tournament. Dropping LVC leaves it at 71. We went from 10 to 11 teams when the number of programs went from 70 to 71 with the addition of Westfield last year. UNE was added this year to make 72.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

What Prof is saying is that the NCAA kind of "gave" us that half a team a year early, and the hope is that they'll continue to maintain an 11 team tournament even with 71 teams.

Where things get interesting is if we drop back to 70 when the MASCAC gets its AQ. That could give us 8 AQs in a 10 team field and no ECAC-West teams guaranteed a bid. In that scenario, it almost becomes incredibly likely the ECAC-West doesn't have a team in the tournament in any given year, since it would take somebody beating up on the rest of the conference to get into at-large consideration. It may be that the ECAC-West needs to look less at realignment to get an AQ, but recruitment of new programs entirely to keep the tournament size at 11 teams.
      2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
      2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
      2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
      Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
        What Prof is saying is that the NCAA kind of "gave" us that half a team a year early, and the hope is that they'll continue to maintain an 11 team tournament even with 71 teams.

Where things get interesting is if we drop back to 70 when the MASCAC gets its AQ. That could give us 8 AQs in a 10 team field and no ECAC-West teams guaranteed a bid. In that scenario, it almost becomes incredibly likely the ECAC-West doesn't have a team in the tournament in any given year, since it would take somebody beating up on the rest of the conference to get into at-large consideration. It may be that the ECAC-West needs to look less at realignment to get an AQ, but recruitment of new programs entirely to keep the tournament size at 11 teams.
        Josh,

The Pool B will definitely still exist next season right?

It's the following season when its in trouble if nothing changes?
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Josh,

AFAIK, This is correct. MASCAC is still Pool B, thus there are more than 7, thus there is a Pool B.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The possibility of this:

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
            Caused me to post this:

Originally posted by jim32 View Post
            A 5 team league + no pool B = an irrelevant ECACW.

here comes the boss!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Josh,

Correct. You'd need some kind of magical MASCAC waiver saying the NCAA rules don't apply to them and they can get an AQ in only one year for Pool B to disappear next year.

(And since I brought that up in jest: the MCHA waiver was granted because the teams had played together for two years, but didn't file the paperwork in a manner to have the first year counted. The NCAA ruled the spirit of the rule was followed, if not the letter of it, and granted the conference its bid this year. Of course all that did was screw SNC out of a bye and make them unjustly play on Wednesday, but who's paying attention to that?)
              2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
              2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
              2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
              Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26
                With any luck (and a lot of hope), there will be avote that allows the DII schools to be considered DII for hockey, not only solving this problem, but might allow an expansion to 12 playoff slots.
                to be considered DII for hockey

Do you mean DIII for hockey?
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  to be considered DII for hockey

Do you mean DIII for hockey?
                  He left out an I

The problem is now that that would leave us at 77 with 78 required to make 12 teams (12*6.5 = 78) If LVC hadn't disappeared it would have made 78.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    He left out an I

The problem is now that that would leave us at 77 with 78 required to make 12 teams (12*6.5 = 78) If LVC hadn't disappeared it would have made 78.
                    ...wonder if Crookston would consider resurrecting their program....

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                      That's a good question. I bet they'd at least look at it, but then the question is what conference do they play in? The MIAC is out, the MCHA is balanced as is and I doubt they'd be so fond of breaking the balance and adding that travel. The NCHA could use an 8th but I have no idea how open the league would be to taking a look at Crookston.
                      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Didn't Crookston build a new rink just before they got kicked out of the MCHA? Are the playing ACHA?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                          That's a good question. I bet they'd at least look at it, but then the question is what conference do they play in? The MIAC is out, the MCHA is balanced as is and I doubt they'd be so fond of breaking the balance and adding that travel. The NCHA could use an 8th but I have no idea how open the league would be to taking a look at Crookston.
                          Maybe Lake Forest would be willing to jump ship....

Looks like Crookston's playing at the ACHA level though:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/umcweb/news/...of-m-croo.html

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            Didn't Crookston build a new rink just before they got kicked out of the MCHA? Are the playing ACHA?
                            ...and yes, they did just build a new rink. Their old one was a dump (though it was fun to play in when they packed the house).

Comment

...and yes, they did just build a new rink. Their old one was a dump (though it was fun to play in when they packed the house).
                              Sort of - it, the "Crookston Sports Center" really isn't "their" rink, it belongs to the city of Crookston, though they did make - and keep - financial commitments to the new rink, including a 5yr lease, running from 2010-2015. As noted, they do field an ACHA Division II team (2009-10 ACHA roster here - 2008-09 NCAA roster here). They had entertained an ACHA Division I team, but decided it wasn't in their best interest.
                              Last edited by norm1909; 03-12-2010, 09:44 PM.
                              Larry Normandin
                              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X