Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gustavus Adolphus @ SNC - who will represent the west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustavus Adolphus @ SNC - who will represent the west?

It's the Gusties vs. the Knights at the CCC on Saturday with a bid to the Frozen Four on the line.

The two teams did not meet this year. SNC beat GA 7-5 in the second game last season.

SNC is 12-11 all-time vs. GAC, 5-5 at home.... although I believe Gusties won the first 10 games in the series - twice a year for SNC's first five years as a varsity team. That means since then SNC is 12-1 vs. them...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Gustavus Adolphus @ SNC - who will represent the west?

GAC, played well

An unusable penalty all the best

Reagh

Comment

The Gusties' win in the recent history of the series was actually early in the 07-08 season, the sole loss in SNC's National Championship run.

Has anyone seen a bracket for the tournament? I noticed one for D3 women on the NCAA's hockey page, but the men had very little outside of handbooks for the tournament. I'm just trying figure out which semi-final the winner of this game will play in. Anybody have any insight on that?
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
        Has anyone seen a bracket for the tournament? I noticed one for D3 women on the NCAA's hockey page, but the men had very little outside of handbooks for the tournament. I'm just trying figure out which semi-final the winner of this game will play in. Anybody have any insight on that?
        Here ya go!

If SNC wins, enjoy Oswego (or Bowdoin)

Time-wise, still TBD. Whichever NCAA thinks will get the biggest draw will be the evening game.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I think if the game has few penalties, Gustavus will end up winning, however if both teams get multiple powerplay chances, Norberts will be tough to beat. Smaller ice sheet is an advantage for Norberts, Gustavus has great speed, but needs to stay away. We know the place will be rockin, should be a great game!

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Here ya go!

If SNC wins, enjoy Oswego (or Bowdoin)

Time-wise, still TBD. Whichever NCAA thinks will get the biggest draw will be the evening game.
            Thanks. Ah the dreaded TBD. That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to put Friday plans together for some things, but I don't want to lock into anything until I know A) if SNC will be playing Friday, and B) if they are what time. There is a lot of drinking and gambling on the line here so this is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by imafan View Post
              I think if the game has few penalties, Gustavus will end up winning, however if both teams get multiple powerplay chances, Norberts will be tough to beat. Smaller ice sheet is an advantage for Norberts, Gustavus has great speed, but needs to stay away. We know the place will be rockin, should be a great game!
              I kind of see it the other way. SNC needs to stay 5 on 5 and I'll take my chances with them against anyone even strength. I don't see another team's speed being a problem. They'll skate with anyone. However, their PP has been just OK and if it becomes a special teams game I don't see them having an advantage over another good team.

Comment

Decided to take a look at both teams statistics in the past 7 games.

St. Norbert (5-0-2)

GF: 30
                GA: 8
                PP: 8/44 18.18%
                PK: 1/28 3.5%
                PIM: 36-79

Gustavus (5-2-0)

GF: 27
                GA: 16
                PP: 6/32 18.75%
                PK: 3/17 17.64%
                PIM: 23-46

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                  Thanks. Ah the dreaded TBD. That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to put Friday plans together for some things, but I don't want to lock into anything until I know A) if SNC will be playing Friday, and B) if they are what time. There is a lot of drinking and gambling on the line here so this is a big deal.
                  THe drinking can be more than satisfied at L.P.! Gambling, not tooo far away either.
                  Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by delfan View Post
                    GAC, played well

An unusable penalty all the best

Reagh
                    This is the worst haiku ever!
                    "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Special teams... even strength, it doesn't matter, Gustavus is headed back to Lake Placid. I don't feel the NCHA was as strong this year as the year before or better said, last years Superior and Stout were better than this years St. Norbert. The Gusties were in the National Finals last year and anything less would be considered a failure by the eleven seniors who want to win their last college hockey game. "They've been to the puppet show... and they've seen the strings".

The four OT semi-final game vs Augsburg may have put the Gusties in a little funk (muscle memory perhaps) for the finals vs St. Thomas however IMO that loss has turned out to be their wake up call. They came back and took care of business.

Sounds like Adrian got off to a slow start and finished strong. The Gusties will be in sixth gear right around "rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air...", they won't need thirty minutes to shake off the "WOW, we're in the NCAA's".

The Gusties will get the puck out of their end, through center ice (with speed) and create chances... for sixty minutes. They're disciplined, they'll minimize turnovers, they'll stay out of the box and they'll capitalize on mistakes.

All in all, an intense, back and forth, best game you've seen in a long time kinda game.

Gustavus 3-2 late, ENG 4-2

Comment

Cocky confidence... sad speculation... complete disrespect for SNC when SNC supporters have been civil and spoken so well about both teams... sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by CV998 View Post
                          Special teams... even strength, it doesn't matter, Gustavus is headed back to Lake Placid. I don't feel the NCHA was as strong this year as the year before or better said, last years Superior and Stout were better than this years St. Norbert. The Gusties were in the National Finals last year and anything less would be considered a failure by the eleven seniors who want to win their last college hockey game. "They've been to the puppet show... and they've seen the strings".

The four OT semi-final game vs Augsburg may have put the Gusties in a little funk (muscle memory perhaps) for the finals vs St. Thomas however IMO that loss has turned out to be their wake up call. They came back and took care of business.

Sounds like Adrian got off to a slow start and finished strong. The Gusties will be in sixth gear right around "rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air...", they won't need thirty minutes to shake off the "WOW, we're in the NCAA's".

The Gusties will get the puck out of their end, through center ice (with speed) and create chances... for sixty minutes. They're disciplined, they'll minimize turnovers, they'll stay out of the box and they'll capitalize on mistakes.

All in all, an intense, back and forth, best game you've seen in a long time kinda game.

Gustavus 3-2 late, ENG 4-2
                          How about we let them figure it out for themselves on the ice?
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Ha, I was just thinking that if you put that entire post in the past tense it would be a dead-ringer for the voiceover on one of those NFL Films "Season In Review" DVDs.
                            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                            Some National Championships:
                            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Cards and stnick... C'mon, are you guys serious? This thread asks "who will represent the West", right? This is the FAN forum right? How would you prefer I present my opinion?

schtick, with respect, maybe you should go back to last years posts around this time and read how others have posted and I think you'll agree... its all in the spirit of competition.

If we cannot speculate here, then HOW ABOUT we throw out the entire thousand post "definitive tournament speculation thread" as well.
                              Last edited by CV998; 03-11-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X