X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Lake Show" - LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
    I realize saying there is no need to over react on a message board is a oxymoron, but inter league play will continue and the CCHA will be more competitive with ND / Miami leading the pack, in a BTC scenario.
    Sounds like Notre Dame has been handed a lifeline by the BTHC...

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/...rt=450#p313095

Re: Big Ten Expansion

Postby Orion » Fri 9/17/10 7:42 am
    Take it for what you want, but rumor has it that an announcement of a Big Ten hockey conference which would include Notre Dame is about a month away. Now since this is an internet message board, I believe this is a place for rumors. I don't know how much to trust who I heard this from, but I haven't been burned yet.

Comment

Any one make it to the Blueliners event today?

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
        Any one make it to the Blueliners event today?
        I just got home from it 3dog. With these stupid rumors swirling about the demise of Laker hockey it was awsome to get back and interact with the players and the other Blue liners. The players sure seemed to have fun playing with the little kids.

One thing that jumped out at me was Lain is one huge man child.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Has anyone been to any Captain's practices yet? If so, how do the Lakers look?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Lake State & Ferris looking into dropping hockey
            I am not surprised this is a possibility. I am hearing through the rumor mill this is very realistic and I would dismiss these sources too quickly.

The program has gone downhill ever since Frank Anzalone was swiftly railroaded out of town anyway. It is ashame that the powers that be did that to such an honorable and successful man. Guess that wasn't the best decision in the long run.

The Truth Is Out There....
            TBA

Comment

It is amazing. Five months ago LSSU announced a major commitment to take Lake State back to the top of college hockey and now they are going to shut down that same program. Seems too many people out of work have way too much time on their hands.

Comment

I can't speak for other Lakers fans, but I for one have had enough of hearing about all of these doomsday scenarios regarding Laker Hockey, the BTHC, etc. Penn State has been floating the possibility of starting D1 hockey for awhile now, this didn't come from out of the blue..The powers that be that donated all of the money for the Norris Center project didn't to get to be that wealthy by making bad investments like investing 5 million dollars into a hockey program that is about to close up shop...
                Whether you agree with that sentiment or not, the one thing we DO know for sure is that the Lakers will indeed be playing hockey this season, and with the start of the season only 9 days away (exhibition against Western Ontario) I think it's time to start chattering about the on-ice product this season.
                One would think that goaltending is as set as a position can be going into a season with BMW coming back from his senior season, He certainly made his mistakes at times last season but on the whole I felt he took a big step forward, assuming he did his due diligence in the off-season the biggest concern I have for him is staying healthy. It will be interesting to see who wins the back-up position or if it becomes 2A-2B situation. I have heard good things on both Kapalka and Ravn, but admittedly I am a little light on a wealth of info for either, perhaps Bill would be able to fill us in on who at least is "expected" to win the number 2 job?

The Lakers should be a very formidable offensive unit with a plethora of experience coming back, along with a lot of new faces. There are 15 forwards on the roster (not counting Hobbins, who is listed as a Forward but who probably wont find the ice time up front Roque seems hell-bent on giving him.) so competition for jobs should be pretty intense. Here is a guess at what the top 12 forwards might be (dont pay attention to line combos or even positions, necessarily, I'm just trying to put something on paper)

Acton-Schofield-Nehring
                Power-Cassiani-Campbell
                Monardo-Lain-Barczuk
                Mcparland-Radke- Jean

Bench:Wall, Cooper, Shkreli

Obviously Schofield, Acton,Nehring, Cassiani, Power, Monardo and Campbell (unless everything we've heard is way off) figure to be the top 7 forwards in my opinion. After that it gets tricky, with the sheer size and accolades that Lain has to his credit (although I know junior numbers and awards can be decieving) I would suspect that he is in place to be on the top 3 lines..Barczuk has a lot of spunk and can be somewhat of a sparkplug but has a knack for taking stupid penalties, if he has finally gotten that out of his system then I think he will also be a top 9 forward. Mcparland has good size but is slow and failed to produce even when put with linemates that were above his caliber. I don't know much about Jean, Radke, or Shkreli but I am more apt to think that the reason there are 3 players all coming off of one NAHL team to the Lakers has a lot more to do with the fact that a Laker alumni was their coach than I am to beleive that they all happen to be legit D1 players (especially since we don't recruit very much in the NAHL as it is.) Not that 1 or even 2 of them aren't capable of producing, just that until further notice I am skeptical. As far as this unit goes, one of the make or break factors I feel is the production of Cassiani, he plays with alot of grit and is probably the best 2 way forward on the team, but if his scoring numbers could return to that of his freshmen season I think it would be a major boost towards the Lakers chances. Other than that, I expect another big year out of Schofield. as well as Acton and Nehring, I am also very excited to see what Campbell can do.... Any improvement on our traditionally awful power play would be a godsend, and I suspect the Lakers will have to score a lot of goals to be successful this year thanks to a depleted defense.

Unfortunately the blue line may be the Lakers biggest downfall this season, graduated cornerstones Gysbers and Kaunisto will be very sorely missed. I know very little about the new freshmen coming in so here's my best guess

Trotman-Stonhouse
                Cowie-Haines
                Hobbins-Bruneteau
                Bench: Perrault, Sternberg, Pobur

Trotman obviously is the prize horse in this stable, and pairing him with Dillion Stonehouse (who seems to improve every year) I feel gives us our best chance at shutting down the opposition's top line. Cowie is a very smart player but simply lacks the physical tools to be a top-tier blueliner, Haines could turn out to be a solid 2nd liner, he has relative speed and isn't afraid to jump up in the play, he has a slight tendency to get burned however. Honestly from there anyone's guess is as good as mine, although he has come a long way form his freshmen season, I don't see how a team that wants to compete at this level can keep sending Hobbins out on the ice but that is neither here nor there, the bottom line is that Roque is going to make sure he plays and from where I sit his best chance for minutes is on the blueline...As for the 6th defenseman I honestly don't have a clue, Pobur is a poor man's version of Cowie as far as I'm concerned and I don't have a clue about Perrault, Sternbuerg or Bruneteau...the only reason I wrote in Bruneteau's name is because he played for years at the best high-school program in the U.S. at Shatuck-St. Mary's.

I am interested to hear what other's think about the Laker's on-ice product for this coming season!

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                  I can't speak for other Lakers fans, but I for one have had enough of hearing about all of these doomsday scenarios regarding Laker Hockey, the BTHC, etc. Penn State has been floating the possibility of starting D1 hockey for awhile now, this didn't come from out of the blue..The powers that be that donated all of the money for the Norris Center project didn't to get to be that wealthy by making bad investments like investing 5 million dollars into a hockey program that is about to close up shop...
                  Whether you agree with that sentiment or not, the one thing we DO know for sure is that the Lakers will indeed be playing hockey this season, and with the start of the season only 9 days away (exhibition against Western Ontario) I think it's time to start chattering about the on-ice product this season.
                  One would think that goaltending is as set as a position can be going into a season with BMW coming back from his senior season, He certainly made his mistakes at times last season but on the whole I felt he took a big step forward, assuming he did his due diligence in the off-season the biggest concern I have for him is staying healthy. It will be interesting to see who wins the back-up position or if it becomes 2A-2B situation. I have heard good things on both Kapalka and Ravn, but admittedly I am a little light on a wealth of info for either, perhaps Bill would be able to fill us in on who at least is "expected" to win the number 2 job?

The Lakers should be a very formidable offensive unit with a plethora of experience coming back, along with a lot of new faces. There are 15 forwards on the roster (not counting Hobbins, who is listed as a Forward but who probably wont find the ice time up front Roque seems hell-bent on giving him.) so competition for jobs should be pretty intense. Here is a guess at what the top 12 forwards might be (dont pay attention to line combos or even positions, necessarily, I'm just trying to put something on paper)

Acton-Schofield-Nehring
                  Power-Cassiani-Campbell
                  Monardo-Lain-Barczuk
                  Mcparland-Radke- Jean

Obviously Schofield, Acton,Nehring, Cassiani, Power, Monardo and Campbell (unless everything we've heard is way off) figure to be the top 7 forwards in my opinion. After that it gets tricky, with the sheer size and accolades that Lain has to his credit (although I know junior numbers and awards can be decieving) I would suspect that he is in place to be on the top 3 lines..Barczuk has a lot of spunk and can be somewhat of a sparkplug but has a knack for taking stupid penalties, if he has finally gotten that out of his system then I think he will also be a top 9 forward. Mcparland has good size but is slow and failed to produce even when put with linemates that were above his caliber. I don't know much about Jean, Radke, or Shkreli but I am more apt to think that the reason there are 3 players all coming off of one NAHL team to the Lakers has a lot more to do with the fact that a Laker alumni was their coach than I am to beleive that they all happen to be legit D1 players (especially since we don't recruit very much in the NAHL as it is.) Not that 1 or even 2 of them aren't capable of producing, just that until further notice I am skeptical. As far as this unit goes, one of the make or break factors I feel is the production of Cassiani, he plays with alot of grit and is probably the best 2 way forward on the team, but if his scoring numbers could return to that of his freshmen season I think it would be a major boost towards the Lakers chances. Other than that, I expect another big year out of Schofield. as well as Acton and Nehring, I am also very excited to see what Campbell can do.... Any improvement on our traditionally awful power play would be a godsend, and I suspect the Lakers will have to score a lot of goals to be successful this year thanks to a depleted defense.

Unfortunately the blue line may be the Lakers biggest downfall this season, graduated cornerstones Gysbers and Kaunisto will be very sorely missed. I know very little about the new freshmen coming in so here's my best guess

Trotman-Stonhouse
                  Cowie-Haines
                  Hobbins-Bruneteau

Trotman obviously is the prize horse in this stable, and pairing him with Dillion Stonehouse (who seems to improve every year) I feel gives us our best chance at shutting down the opposition's top line. Cowie is a very smart player but simply lacks the physical tools to be a top-tier blueliner, Haines could turn out to be a solid 2nd liner, he has relative speed and isn't afraid to jump up in the play, he has a slight tendency to get burned however. Honestly from there anyone's guess is as good as mine, although he has come a long way form his freshmen season, I don't see how a team that wants to compete at this level can keep sending Hobbins out on the ice but that is neither here nor there, the bottom line is that Roque is going to make sure he plays and from where I sit his best chance for minutes is on the blueline...As for the 6th defenseman I honestly don't have a clue, Pobur is a poor man's version of Cowie as far as I'm concerned and I don't have a clue about Perrault, Sternbuerg or Bruneteau...the only reason I wrote in Bruneteau's name is because he played for years at the best high-school program in the U.S. at Shatuck-St. Mary's.

I am interested to hear what other's think about the Laker's on-ice product for this coming season!
                  I agree that BMW is the #1 goalie going into this season, with Kapalka and Ravn being pretty much even going in and fighting it out for the 2-3 spots. Both Kapalka and Ravn had strong seasons in Juniors this past year. I don't think we have clear cut #3 goalie unlike most seasons in the past. BMW improved last season but from the games I actually saw he still needs to do a better job controlling rebounds. I'd like to see Kapalka and Ravn push him for the starting job.

Not sure what the plans are for Hobbins. There are enough D on the roster to play him at Forward as a big front of the net presence on the PP. But it could be that between he and the coaches, they've decided to keep him on the blue line. I wouldn't expect to see him bounce back and forth between positions as much as in the past depending upon injuries and how well the younger D develop.

Will get back later with more comments.

Comment

Acton-Schofield-Nehring
                    Power-Cassiani-Campbell
                    Monardo-Lain-Barczuk
                    Mcparland-Radke- Jean

Trotman-Stonhouse
                    Cowie-Haines
                    Hobbins-Bruneteau

re: NAHL/Traverse City - Certainly having Anthony Palumbo (and Mike Matteuci) as coach(es) means the Lakers will use TC as an easy way to watch recruits/potential recruits. I tend to think that some junior age players that the Lakers are interested in are steered towards playing in TC where they can hopefully develop under the tutelage of Anthony/Mike. e.g. I think there was a decent possibility that Kelin Ainsworth might have played in the USHL last season and this, but I suspect he was steered towards playing in TC instead. He committed to the Lakers long before he played in TC. And I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle Jean was traded from Marquette to TC so he could play for Anthony as well. The NAHL is a good league; not of the same calibre as the USHL, but still a good league.

I was a bit surprised by the late recruitment of Shkreli and Bruneteau. I'm not sure what to expect from them at this point. Bruneteau's Shattuck-St Mary's background speaks well of him; he didn't have many point in the USHL last season so you would tend to think that means he's a defensive minded D-man. Shkreli did decently at TC last season, but is maybe even more of an unknown. I don't know if either/both of these guys are recruited walk-ons; if so, we may have gotten them cheaply.

I think this season will give us a much better idea of what to expect from McParland. We have to remember that he didn't play hockey at all two seasons ago, and couldn't even practice with the Lakers due to NCAA rules. His reputation is for having good hands.

Wall played in the NAHL last season to get more ice time and have a better chance to develop. We'll have to see how much that may have benefited him. I don't expect Cooper to play much, if at all, unless he has improved considerably.

I expect either Sternberg or Perrault, and maybe both, to see a decent amount of playing time, and as I mentioned earlier I'm not sure what to expect from Hobbins in terms of whether he will play D or forward. If even 2 of the freshmen D play well, there shouldn't be a big need to play Hobbins on defense, unless of course that's where the coaches (and he) want him to play. Pobur is a smart kid; the main thing holding him back is size, but if he's at least improved his strength he could see more playing time. I think Haines improved quite a bit last season although injury slowed him down.

Cassiani had a bit of a sophomore jinx last season. He couldn't buy a goal the second half although he continued to be a hard worker on ice. Monardo showed some definite potential as last season progressed. Radke is highly thought of and may be a bit of a dark horse. I think we're all anxious to see what Campbell can do.

Comment

John Scrymgeour signed a tryout agreement with the Reading Royals of the ECHL.

Comment

I can't speak for other Lakers fans, but I for one have had enough of hearing about all of these doomsday scenarios regarding Laker Hockey, the BTHC, etc. Penn State has been floating the possibility of starting D1 hockey for awhile now, this didn't come from out of the blue..
                        Wow. Great post AW! It's good to be talking hockey again.

I'll start this year the same way I ended last year. For the Superior Showdown against our WCHA guests, I'll pledge to send the LSSU Foundation $25 per Laker's win and an additional $10 per goal the Lakers score. It's a drop in the bucket, but a show of support nonetheless.

I think we'll see Bruneteau get quiet a few minutes to start the year, at least for a freshmen. Roque made a comment at some point that Bruneteau would be physically ready for the D-I game sooner than the other 2 blue line recruits. Trotman looked so good as a pupil out there with the seniors last year. Let's hope he's ready to be a #1 shut down blue liner and maybe even chip in some offence this year.

I think Ravn is the recruited walk on, so on paper I bet he is the #3 or at least 2B goalie. Though his stats appear nearly as good as Kalpalka, so I'm sure it will be a great competition. And don't look now, but Tyler Marble is 4-1, with a 1.4 GAA and a .954 Sv% down in TC. (yes, I know it's early, but some of us had him written off as a D-I recruit after last year).

I think Jean was a guy who had some other teams interested in him fairly early, and I think he'll be a really good Laker eventually. He had some injuries which might have slowed his development a bit, but I bet he'll be a fan favorite once he adjusts to the D-I game. Hopefully he adjusts quickly, because I agree that we'll need some help scoring after the 6th or 7th forward.

The summer went fast, but it's good to be talking hockey again!

Comment

Originally posted by Mogerfan View Post

And don't look now, but Tyler Marble is 4-1, with a 1.4 GAA and a .954 Sv% down in TC. (yes, I know it's early, but some of us had him written off as a D-I recruit after last year).
                          I think Traverse City played mainly expansion/new teams in the early NAHL showcase. So although Marble performed well, I agree it's a little early to see how much he's improved. Still, it's nice to see him playing as the #1 TC goalie, and doing a good job in their first handful of games. Their one loss did come to an established NAHL team (Wenatchee).

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                            I am not surprised this is a possibility. I am hearing through the rumor mill this is very realistic and I would dismiss these sources too quickly.
                            Me too

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post

The program has gone downhill ever since Frank Anzalone was swiftly railroaded out of town anyway. It is ashame that the powers that be did that to such an honorable and successful man. Guess that wasn't the best decision in the long run.

The Truth Is Out There....
                              TBA
                              Truth,I just hope these sources are better than all the other sources yoiu have been using to make predictions the last 4 years with.

Comment

The last 16 games of last season,the Lakers went 3-13. If the recruits coming in can't contribute from the get go, how do we hope for a better season this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X