X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East: Anyones Tournament

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    Location, Location, Location.
    Ya, I suppose they went to the 4-5 matchup and said no way we're going to Orono...

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
      I can't remember prior to BU's win vs. UNH in the HEA finals in 1997, but including that one and through the last meeting, I think its 2-2... but either way my post stands... I thought Bu was still the top overall seed heading into that tourney (if they were 4th, they would have been a 2 seed as they had the 6 team regionals... so they were either 1 or 2 in the PWR, no?) And it'd be sweet to see a repeat performance (though not as shocking) by MC this weekend

We're getting way off topic here so I don't want to stray too far for much longer...

FYI, the other one that BU won to tip the HE tourney record in Jack's favor was in 1993.

BU may have been the top overall seed (can't seem to confirm it but I'm sure some facepainter from Kenmore will be happy to look it up). Michigan State is the only other option as they were the top seed out West. Strangely, the top team in the final poll was North Dakota followed by MSU and BC and then BU. But in each of the regions, the 1 seed was the lower ranked team in the poll. I don't even know if they had PWR back then, I don't think they had as clear cut of a system. I can't find anything right now on who the top overall seed was.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        We're getting way off topic here so I don't want to stray too far for much longer...

FYI, the other one that BU won to tip the HE tourney record in Jack's favor was in 1993.

BU may have been the top overall seed (can't seem to confirm it but I'm sure some facepainter from Kenmore will be happy to look it up). Michigan State is the only other option as they were the top seed out West. Strangely, the top team in the final poll was North Dakota followed by MSU and BC and then BU. But in each of the regions, the 1 seed was the lower ranked team in the poll. I don't even know if they had PWR back then, I don't think they had as clear cut of a system. I can't find anything right now on who the top overall seed was.
        Ah, didn't realize they'd met back that far, good research
        Also, don't know if they used a PWR-like selection, but I think they did... Either way, it was a huge upset, and really kicked off SOME semblance of (believe it or not) post-season success for UNH for the next 6 years or so... Prior to that, BU had owned UNH in all phases (the all time record vs BU is still miserable, but at least its leveled off and not getting worse ) and UNH had stumbled down the stretch losing 6 of 7 prior to upsetting Wisconsin in the first round... But anyway... the point stands... BC is the only team that owns UNH in the hockey east tournament (they've never met in the NCAA's have they? I know they haven't in the last 15 years or so...)...

Comment

Back then, didn't the Regular Season and Tournament champion from each of the big four conferences get an automatic berth?

Don't think they used PWR, but could be dead wrong. I actually liked the two regional format, but whatever. If there were six eastern teams and six western teams in the tourney, usually they'd just send 5-6 from the east out west and vice versa.

Comment

My full quarterfinals preview and predictions.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Re: Carter Hutton - 1st Team Hockey East - All American

Originally posted by PaulG View Post
              #1 UNH beats #8 UVM in three
              #2 BC beats #7 UMA in two
              #6 MC beats #3 BU in two
              #5 UML beats #4 UM in two

#1 UNH over #6 MC, 5-4
              #5 UML over #2 BC, 3-1

#5 UML over #1 UNH, 2-0

Wow, you think MC will sweep BU on the road where they are 3-13-1 this year. That would be a huge upset. You have to be a UML fan.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

99% sure they had the pairwise back then.

I recall liking the super regional format better in those days. Top 6 east + Top 6 west (unless the 12 were unbalanced), swap the 5,6 team in each bracket tweaking to avoid first round interconference and away we go. 4 games in 2 days, buildings had more people (and more energy) in them as there were more teams.

WAY OFF TOPIC - wish they would go back to super regionals (just with 16 teams). 6 games 3 days (1 vs. 16 and 8 vs. 9 Friday, 4 vs 13 and 5 vs 12 Saturday, Thurs. winners early game and Fri. winers late game on Sunday). Travel planning would be easier as you would have a 50% of guessing right. Plus I would get to see more good hockey (I go to the Northeast Regional every year)
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  Agree on all the predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    99% sure they had the pairwise back then.

I recall liking the super regional format better in those days. Top 6 east + Top 6 west (unless the 12 were unbalanced), swap the 5,6 team in each bracket tweaking to avoid first round interconference and away we go. 4 games in 2 days, buildings had more people (and more energy) in them as there were more teams.

WAY OFF TOPIC - wish they would go back to super regionals (just with 16 teams). 6 games 3 days (1 vs. 16 and 8 vs. 9 Friday, 4 vs 13 and 5 vs 12 Saturday, Thurs. winners early game and Fri. winers late game on Sunday). Travel planning would be easier as you would have a 50% of guessing right. Plus I would get to see more good hockey (I go to the Northeast Regional every year)
                    I would also prefer two super regionals for the same reasons you mention. I was all for the expansion to 16 teams and still like that though. If there were 12 teams in, RIT would be the 12th. Looking back, MSU was the only 3/4 seed to win the title since going to 16 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      Prediction
                      BU in three, with at least one game featuring 10 combined goals and all three games featuring at least 15 combined penalties.
                      How many of those minutes will be Gryba's?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Wow, you think MC will sweep BU on the road where they are 3-13-1 this year. That would be a huge upset. You have to be a UML fan.
                        MC is 3-1-1 in their last 5 road games. It's not a huge stretch to think they'd continue that.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

You must be a BU fan if you can't even imagine this outcome. Has BU really looked all that dominant to you this year?

MC is 3-1-1 in their last 5 road games after going 0-12. I think they've turned a corner in that respect and are capable of bringing their "A" game on the road - an "A" game, by the way, which looks pretty **** good.

I'm thinking they go with Cannata, who has done pretty well against BU, and they win a couple of shootouts. They came up short in the two shootouts at Agganis this year and those where during that 0-12 stretch. I saw the Jan. 16th game and the only reason BU won was because Rollheiser stood on his head. I'm sure MC is dying to get another shot at BU and usually that kind of inspiration can turn the tide in otherwise close battles. I'm sure Jackie Parker isn't taking MC as lightly as you are.

What the hell does being a UML fan have to do with predicting MC over BU? When I'm not rooting for UML (my alma mater), I'm usually rooting for BU - where I also have some connections.

But, hey, hope that scarlet-colored vision works out for ya!
                          Last edited by PaulG; 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulG View Post
                            #1 UNH beats #8 UVM in three
                            #2 BC beats #7 UMA in two
                            #6 MC beats #3 BU in two
                            #5 UML beats #4 UM in two

#1 UNH over #6 MC, 5-4
                            #5 UML over #2 BC, 3-1

#5 UML over #1 UNH, 2-0
                            Lowell does seem to have BC's number, although I'm not sure whether that is a general thing or a 'Tsongas Arena' thing. If the game does come to reality, it will be interesting to see how Lowell plays at TD Garden versus their own arena.
                            Chris V
                            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              MC is 3-1-1 in their last 5 road games. It's not a huge stretch to think they'd continue that.
                              Where did MC get their first road win/points... I can't remember

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                                Lowell does seem to have BC's number, although I'm not sure whether that is a general thing or a 'Tsongas Arena' thing. If the game does come to reality, it will be interesting to see how Lowell plays at TD Garden versus their own arena.
                                I don't know if you caught the Hockey East Finals last year ....

"There's more to fighting than rest, sir. There's character. There's strength of heart. You should have seen us in action two days ago. We were a sight to see!" Colonel Shaw in "Glory"

Comment

Working...
                                X