solution to ECAC-West problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solution to ECAC-West problem?

With the likely departure of M'ville to the ECAC-East and the ECAC-West likely dwindling to 4 teams, I thought of a possible solution to the autobid problem.
    Why not combine the ECAC-East and West teams for playoff purposes only. They wouldn't have to have an interlock for the regular season, but have a 10-12 team playoff combined tournament(depending on how many East teams jump to the MASCAC). Include every team like the East already does so no-one gets screwed.
    As all of the teams wouldn't be playing each other, a committee would have to seed the teams for the tourney, but this is the way it used to be. Back before 1992, when ECAC-West teams and SUNYAC were combined, and the ECAC-East and NESCAC were combined, committees used to seed the conference tourneys every year.
    This way everybody has an autobid in 2012, there will be 8 conference tourneys, and still 3 Pool C bids.
    Thoughts?

Re: solution to ECAC-West problem?

Originally posted by DH003325 View Post
    With the likely departure of M'ville to the ECAC-East and the ECAC-West likely dwindling to 4 teams, I thought of a possible solution to the autobid problem.
    Why not combine the ECAC-East and West teams for playoff purposes only. They wouldn't have to have an interlock for the regular season, but have a 10-12 team playoff combined tournament(depending on how many East teams jump to the MASCAC). Include every team like the East already does so no-one gets screwed.
    As all of the teams wouldn't be playing each other, a committee would have to seed the teams for the tourney, but this is the way it used to be. Back before 1992, when ECAC-West teams and SUNYAC were combined, and the ECAC-East and NESCAC were combined, committees used to seed the conference tourneys every year.
    This way everybody has an autobid in 2012, there will be 8 conference tourneys, and still 3 Pool C bids.
    Thoughts?
    My first and only thought is really can they still do this?

Actually, second thought too...Why would the ECAC East want to compete against more teams for the AQ when they don't have to. What incentive do they have?

I see that vote going 8-4....
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Actually, second thought too...Why would the ECAC East want to compete against more teams for the AQ when they don't have to. What incentive do they have?

I see that vote going 8-4....
      Exactly. Give the ECAC East one, just one, any one, good reason why in the world they should do this?

BTW, Thank God we have another thread on the ECAC West problem. I could not survive a week without one...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I didn't realize that ECAC-East had been begging Manhattanville to join them and Manhattanville said, "no thanks, we are just fine where we are as it is easier to get into the NCAA's out of the ECAC-West."
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
          I didn't realize that ECAC-East had been begging Manhattanville to join them and Manhattanville said, "no thanks, we are just fine where we are as it is easier to get into the NCAA's out of the ECAC-West."
          Whoever said the ECAC East is doing the begging?

I believe it is Manhattanville who has been knocking on the ECAC East door.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Duh...doesn't everyone remember the picture?
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Another season like this one in 2012 could find the ECAC-W SOL in the NCAA department. They need to do something.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Another season like this one in 2012 could find the ECAC-W SOL in the NCAA department. They need to do something.
                I agree but what can they do?

The ECAC East has no incentive to combine with them. The ECAC doesn't have the power to re-align the conferences.

The ECAC dropped the ball in trying to get Adrian last year. Imagine how much different things would be if that had happened?

The only solution is more programs. But, in this economy, who is going to be starting new programs or elevating their programs to varsity D-III status?
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

And they opened that door right up, right?????
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    I agree but what can they do?

The ECAC East has no incentive to combine with them. The ECAC doesn't have the power to re-align the conferences.
                    And that is the question....just what is the ECAC if they have no control over "their" conferences? A federation of organizations (or whatever they have on Prairie Home Companion)?

Of course this is all Adrian's fault.
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

The door is ajar until two things are decided. First is the interlock vote. That has an impact on what the ECAC-East might want to do as far as picking up another member. THe other factor is the two D-II schools, and their status.
                      (I might point out that if the interlock IS broken, and the door to the East is opened, Utica is a shorter drive than the one currently made to Hamilton. Food for thought....)

With the MASCAC due to get a Pool A slot soon, and the elimination of the pool B at that point, the competition for those remaining pool C's will be increased. Were that to be the case this year, what effect would that have had on the ECAC-West?
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Is there a solution??

I (for one) frankly don't believe that the ECAC/W will survive.

a) The CHA did not survive with eerily similar circumstances (ie schools in no one's primary catchment area)
                        b) The economy is so bad that hockey contraction is the only foreseeable movement in the next few years
                        c) Non-ECAC/W Schools have already made 'noises' over traveling to West-BeJesus
                        d) The ECAC is powerless to enforce re-alignment
                        e) The marketable schools, whichever they may be, will be begging to move to viable conferences.
                        f) Once the Pool B is gone, the ECAC/W will be Adrianized by the other Eastern conferences.

Once one more school does move / dissolve ... pull the plug.
                        Last edited by elbojpb; 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM. Reason: Added f)

Comment

Re: Is there a solution??

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                          I (for one) frankly don't believe that the ECAC/W will survive.

a) The CHA did not survive with eerily similar circumstances (ie schools in no one's primary catchment area)
                          b) The economy is so bad that hockey contraction is the only foreseeable movement in the next few years
                          c) Non-ECAC/W Schools have already made 'noises' over traveling to West-BeJesus
                          d) The ECAC is powerless to enforce re-alignment
                          e) The marketable schools, whichever they may be, will be begging to move to viable conferences.

Once one more school does move / dissolve ... pull the plug.
                          mmm, yes I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Seems to me;

A 5 team league + no pool B = an irrelevant ECACW.

here comes the boss!

Comment

Re: Is there a solution??

Originally posted by jim32 View Post
                            mmm, yes I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Seems to me;

A 5 team league + no pool B = an irrelevant ECACW.
                            Five or six teams...didn't matter once the MASCAC got its AQ.

Our only hope was to add another teams but since that doesn't seem like it has a chance at happening, we were screwed long before LVC dropped.

They dropped the ball when they had the chance to add Adrian last year and now the ECAC West is dwindling towards irrelevant status.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

That wasn't the point.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X