Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Michigan 2010 Offseason -- And the next head coach is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Michigan 2010 Offseason -- And the next head coach is...

as an outsider I have to ask...what is the relationship between the athletics department and the hockey program? It seems like your program is suffering from some of the boneheaded departmental issues that MSU faces. It's one thing to struggle on the ice, but for all the troubles WMU hockey has had, there has always been great camaraderie with the students and the community. Is the AD losing this now?
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
      as an outsider I have to ask...what is the relationship between the athletics department and the hockey program? It seems like your program is suffering from some of the boneheaded departmental issues that MSU faces. It's one thing to struggle on the ice, but for all the troubles WMU hockey has had, there has always been great camaraderie with the students and the community. Is the AD losing this now?
      I think the community involvement is still there, or at least waiting in the wings for a winner to return. And the student support, while down due to losing so much, is much better then it really should be given the current state of the program. And the fans will return in droves if they think the program is on the turnaround.

The real problem is that the AD simply doesn't give a **** about hockey. I think that may be on the mend with a new school president who understands the opportunity that hockey presents WMU with, but its going to be a slow mend. Until the AD is replaced the athletic department will always have the attitude that hockey is something to deal with instead of something to embrace and support.
      Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
        I think the community involvement is still there, or at least waiting in the wings for a winner to return. And the student support, while down due to losing so much, is much better then it really should be given the current state of the program. And the fans will return in droves if they think the program is on the turnaround.

The real problem is that the AD simply doesn't give a **** about hockey. I think that may be on the mend with a new school president who understands the opportunity that hockey presents WMU with, but its going to be a slow mend. Until the AD is replaced the athletic department will always have the attitude that hockey is something to deal with instead of something to embrace and support.
        It's doubly stupid when you consider that she frigging grew up in Kalamazoo. Hell, they're trying to build a downtown arena primarily for the K-Wings...a hockey team, not trying to attract a basketball team or Arena Football.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          It's doubly stupid when you consider that she frigging grew up in Kalamazoo.
          *And* she was a WMU student-athlete (gymnastics).

Kalamazoo Gazette is reporting that there will be a press conference at 9:30 Kzoo time tonight, ostensibly to announce that Jeff Blashill has been picked to be the new coach. It also states that there were two other considered candidates--Joe Bonnett (from CC) and Ron Rolston from the USA Hockey national team development program. Blashill will not be at the conference as he is still with the Ice.
          Last edited by BadgerAlum@WMU; 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM.
          Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
          My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Press Conference at 9:30 Tonight at Lawson
            Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

For a 9:30 pm presser, I'd think he'd be there. Otherwise, why not do it at a normal hour?
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

For a 9:30 pm presser, I'd think he'd be there. Otherwise, why not do it at a normal hour?
                Because they're probably already in Cedar Rapids tonight...that's where they start the playoffs.
                Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Can confirm 100% now that it is Blashill. A buddy emailed me a rumor that Blashill will be introduced tonight before he drives to Ceder Rapids for tomorrows USHL playoff game.
                  Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

So, what's involved in these "playoffs"? Is it a secret play like the Flying V?

I've heard rumors that the NCAA has them, but have never been able to confirm it. -

Comment

So, what's involved in these "playoffs"? Is it a secret play like the Flying V?

I've heard rumors that the NCAA has them, but have never been able to confirm it. -

Stranger yet, I heard a rumor that the CCHA has playoffs at the Joe!
                      B2
                      It will only get better!

Comment

Originally posted by BII View Post
                        Stranger yet, I heard a rumor that the CCHA has playoffs at the Joe!
                        Are you sure? I thought that was some sort of Michigan/Michigan State reward for playing hockey? I mean, the trophy is even named after a State coach.

Comment

Are you sure? I thought that was some sort of Michigan/Michigan State reward for playing hockey? I mean, the trophy is even named after a State coach.
                          We've been to The Joe as much as you guys have in the past 3 seasons...
                          MICHIGAN STATE
                          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                            We've been to The Joe as much as you guys have in the past 3 seasons...

How about the last decade?
                            B2
                            It will only get better!

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jdUr5hF0yGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jdUr5hF0yGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                              This space for sale.

Comment

USHL press release:

JEFF BLASHILL NAMED HEAD COACH AT

WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

Chicago, IL – Western Michigan University today named Jeff Blashill as head coach for the Bronco men’s hockey team. He has spent the last two seasons as the head coach and general manager of the Indiana Ice.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to lead the Western Michigan Bronco hockey team and begin our quest to establish Western as an elite Division I program,” said Blashill. “I'd like to thank President Dunn, Kathy Beauregard (WMU Director of Athletics), the athletic staff, and those whom I met while visiting Kalamazoo, for the trust they've placed in me to pursue this great challenge.”

In just his first season behind the bench in the USHL, Blashill guided the Ice to their first-ever Clark Cup title. During the 2008-09 regular season, he led them to a 39-19-2 record which tied the League season high in wins (39) and equaled a team record. The Ice also set team records for fewest goals allowed (177) and road winning streak (6) while matching team marks for longest winning streak (7) and longest home winning streak (11).

“I would also like to thank the many great people that represent the USHL, beginning with Indiana Ice owners, Paul and Cindy Skjodt, our great staff, and the Ice players who have given so much to this organization,” said Blashill. “A special thanks also to USHL Commissioner Skip Prince and his outstanding staff for their great leadership. Finally, thanks to the great coaches of the USHL, whom I have enjoyed competing against and learning from over the past two seasons.”

Blashill’s team again qualified for the playoffs this season after posting a 33-24-3 record. He will remain with the team this USHL postseason as they open the 2010 Clark Cup Playoffs with a best-of-five series against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders on Wednesday.

“While I look forward to arriving in Kalamazoo and begin our work there, my immediate focus remains with the Indiana Ice, as we compete to keep the Clark Cup in Indianapolis," Blashill stated.

Prior to coaching in the USHL, Blashill spent six seasons (2002-08) in the role of assistant coach for Miami University, helping the program to an 83-31-9 record during that span and qualifying for the NCAA tournament in each of his last three seasons. Before Miami, he was on the coaching staff at his alma mater, Ferris State University, for four seasons.

“Jeff’s intelligence, coaching talent, and commitment to the United States Hockey League have been singular over the past two seasons,” said Commissioner Skip Prince. “We were fortunate to have had the opportunity to know him in his role as the general manager and head coach of the Indiana Ice – and I know that Jeff will lead the Ice into the USHL playoffs again this year as an inspired, returning championship team. We’re not saying good-bye to him, as I know that he will be an instrumental part of our growing relationship with college hockey at Western Michigan. All I can say to all the CCHA fans out there is “Watch out for the Broncos.”

As a player, Blashill spent three seasons (1991-94) in the USHL as a goaltender for the Des Moines Buccaneers. He compiled a 43-11-0 record during that time and was a member of the team that captured the Clark Cup in 1992 and the Anderson Cup as regular season champions during the 1993-94 campaign. During a four-year collegiate career at Ferris State (1994-98), he was a three-time recipient of the program’s scholar-athlete award.

“The Indiana Ice family have lost a key team-player, but have gained both a Clark Cup and a friend for life,” said Indiana Ice CEO Paul Skjodt. “Jeff and our staff look forward to the defense of our title before he departs Indianapolis. We all wish him much success in the future.”
                                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                                ---
                                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X