You Guys Again? UNH Wildcats @ UMD Bulldogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You Guys Again? UNH Wildcats @ UMD Bulldogs

Can anyone explain just how we got this matchup? 2 vs 5 doesn't seem real obvious, and I can't see how it saves any money compared to other travel combinations.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 'Cats are up to it this year, but you never know until they actually play the game (duh!)
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      Can anyone explain just how we got this matchup? 2 vs 5 doesn't seem real obvious, and I can't see how it saves any money compared to other travel combinations. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 'Cats are up to it this year, but you never know until they actually play the game (duh!)
      Short version:

Pairwise simply determines the field, less any autobids from outside the Top 8.

IIRC, only the Top 4 teams are seeded. The Selection Committee has leeway in determining the matchups of teams 5-8.

In this case, the committee looked at the individual comparisons between UNH, Cornot, and Clarkson. Cornell won the comparison outright with UNH, and UNH beat Clarkson based on a slim RPI margin. They did not feel that a slim RPI advantage outweighed the H2H result.
      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        Can anyone explain just how we got this matchup? 2 vs 5 doesn't seem real obvious, and I can't see how it saves any money compared to other travel combinations.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 'Cats are up to it this year, but you never know until they actually play the game (duh!)
        I've answered this in other threads. The answer is the NCAA considered UNH to be No. 7. UNH would've been out of the tourney if OSU had won.

The NCAA does use discretion in terms of how it compares the various criterion. If a school beats another in a very tiny margin in any particular category, it may give that less weight than another category.

Also, head-to-head comparisons are generally more important than overall comparisons one.

Given that, you can conclude the following
        (1) The NCAA either considered Cornell the winner of its comparisons with Wisconsin and UConn, or completely ignored this. Cornell won the comparisons with UNH & Clarkson. Thus Cornell is No. 5.

(2) UNH was ahead of Clarkson in 2 criteria, while Clarkson was ahead of UNH in 2 criteria. Normally, RPI is the tiebreaker. UNH wins. But, UNH was ahead in RPI by .0003 which is basically a completely meaningless number. The committee decided Clarkson's H2H and common opponent advantage were more telling. Edge Clarkson. (another possibility is that USCHO's RPI calculation has some subtle differences with the NCAA's.)

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
          UMD home games are always on B2LIVE, but being this is an NCAA game Im not sure if that is still an option.....
          B2TV doesn't have it listed on their Saturday schedule. The NCAA is only streaming the Frozen Four games. So who knows? You'd think someone would jump on that.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
            B2TV doesn't have it listed on their Saturday schedule. The NCAA is only streaming the Frozen Four games. So who knows? You'd think someone would jump on that.
            Sometimes B2live doesnt post them until closer to game time......but it is possible they wont have it ......
            Thank you Seniors, Rasmussen,Blais,Tuominen,Murray ,Hakala...your contributions will never be forgotten.
            2010 National Champions!!!! And lets not forget 2008 as well!!

Comment

Hardy har har. You got me.

Guess I don't dedicate to much brain space to living in the past. I got it now, after wasting a half hour of my life to figure it out. The inside joke clearly shows I'm not part of the cool kids club. And given that I'm far from my high school days, I'm perfectly fine not reliving that kind of social structure again.

Regardless, I am looking forward to having UNH come to Duluth. Looks likes it's going to be a foggy, gray day here in Duluth this weekend. Typical spring-ish weather. I hope the UMD fans will be welcoming and social to the UNH crew. Like zoofer said, it's also about promoting the sport.

Comment

Nobody was trying to "get" you, just_a_fan.

It was just a joke; nothing more, nothing less.
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Agreed, Freak.

My apologies for lumping everyone on here in the same category of one person who does behave in such a manner.

Have I mentioned that I'm really looking forward to this game? Mostly because I have no idea what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
                    Agreed, Freak.

My apologies for lumping everyone on here in the same category of one person who does behave in such a manner.

Have I mentioned that I'm really looking forward to this game? Mostly because I have no idea what to expect.
                    Also, just a heads up.....

Often times if somebody uses red text, it is being used to represent overt sarcasm.

It's something that I (a BC football and basketball fan) and the BC guys brought over from a BC message board.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Agreed, Freak.

Such a manner as what exactly? You going to point a finger at me every time you fail to get the joke? Because it's my fault the joke goes right over your head?

You, and you alone are responsible for this post and it's inherent ineptitude. Don't reference me as some sort of excuse or reason for your own unenlightened misinterpretations.

Even if they didn't get the video do you really think it was mis-sent on purpose? C'mon.... Also, we live in a day and age where files can be compressed and sent digitally. So it's not like their aren't options as far as video goes.

And UNH having to stay 4.5 hours away seems odd to me. Worst case scenario if they had to stay in Minneapolis, it's 3 hours away at best. IF this is truly the case, how does UMD have any power over where they stay?

Really-- I don't hate UNH and I'm not sure why this has to be like this.
                      Last edited by brookyone; 03-09-2010, 01:53 AM.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Schulz View Post
                        Unknown as of yet. I'm talking to UMD about possibly going but I have to stand in line behind B2.
                        That would be very cool

The reason I won't be in Duluth is largely because I didn't see that trip coming

As late as the conclusion of the Cornell - Clarkson game, UNH fans were thinking the trip would be to either Clarkson or Harvard. I already have arrangements to go to the Frozen Four whether UNH is there or not (did the same for Lake Placid).

If I could come up with a reasonable way to ask my boss if I could only work 2 - 3 days a week throughout March, maybe it would have been a possibility, but I have one of those jobs that I have to be there to do, noone does it in my absence, and things kind of grind to a halt if it's not attended to, so I have to plan in advance
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Such a manner as what exactly? You going to point a finger at me every time you fail to get the joke? Because it's my fault the joke goes right over your head?

You, and you alone are responsible for this post and it's inherent ineptitude. Don't reference me as some sort of excuse or reason for your own unenlightened misinterpretations.
                          I'm not sure but I think this is quite possibly more entertaining than me not getting the joke! That's good stuff, Brooky. Keep it flowing!

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                            Short version:

......., ..the committee looked at the individual comparisons between UNH, Cornot, and Clarkson. .......

"Cornot"....Now there is a novel new nickname

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                              Also, head-to-head comparisons are generally more important than overall comparisons one.

Given that, you can conclude the following
                              (1) The NCAA either considered Cornell the winner of its comparisons with Wisconsin and UConn, or completely ignored this. Cornell won the comparisons with UNH & Clarkson. Thus Cornell is No. 5.

(2) UNH was ahead of Clarkson in 2 criteria, while Clarkson was ahead of UNH in 2 criteria. Normally, RPI is the tiebreaker. UNH wins. But, UNH was ahead in RPI by .0003 which is basically a completely meaningless number. The committee decided Clarkson's H2H and common opponent advantage were more telling. Edge Clarkson. (another possibility is that USCHO's RPI calculation has some subtle differences with the NCAA's.)
                              In the end the Clarkson/UNH comparison end result does not matter that much from a travel perspective, as both are heading out West.

Comment

See, you DO learn something new everyday. I knew what freak was referring to regarding the tapes, the hotels, etc . . . but I didn't know the red text was an indicator of extreme sarcasm on these here boards.

I thought he was trying to be as psychologically damaging as possible.
                                I haven't been on here in a year...
                                Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X