This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

I have been away for a while but following developments closely. I must admit that I have mixed emotions about RPI's exit. Selfishly, I did not relish another Union - RPI showdown though I have no doubt that it would have been great hockey, regardless of the outcome. On the other hand, particularly over the course of this season, I have come to greatly respect and appreciate the RPI program and particularly its fans who are knowledgeable, loyal and perhaps above all, passionate about their team. So from an outsider, try to take solace in all of the positives and look forward to good days ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I have been away for a while but following developments closely. I must admit that I have mixed emotions about RPI's exit. Selfishly, I did not relish another Union - RPI showdown though I have no doubt that it would have been great hockey, regardless of the outcome. On the other hand, particularly over the course of this season, I have come to greatly respect and appreciate the RPI program and particularly its fans who are knowledgeable, loyal and perhaps above all, passionate about their team. So from an outsider, try to take solace in all of the positives and look forward to good days ahead.
      Classy post Wholin - thanks. Good luck down the stretch..I know I will be pulling for U to punch a few teams in the nose...
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
        Not to take away from any of your points but this is exactly how Yale, Princeton, and Quinnipiac have all had such success in the ECAC. Not only that, they were all able to beat out the kings of clutch and grab (Cornell) in decisive fashion for the past 3-4 years. This style should be successful at all levels and work the best against teams like Brown who will try and hit you and end up being left behind.

I think the difference is RPI really does not know how to use their speed throughout the entire game, in fact we regularly overskate pucks or go past the net on a 2on1 break leaving a rebound sitting their for a defender to pick up.

We have the talent and we will only be getting even more, if the team can't deliver better than this next year then you really have to start pointing at the coaching staff. Losing to one of the worst D1 teams in the entire country is a pretty serious issue. Part of a coaches job does have to be motivation and getting a team to be consistent, Appert did not provide anything in that respect this year.

Heres hoping for some after-game gambling and White House subs next year?
        That's 2... anyone else have tickets for the "Fire Appert" bandwagon?

I'm definitely up for White House subs, but I'd whoop your rear at the craps table.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

I'm definitely up for White House subs, but I'd whoop your rear at the craps table.
          With all due respect, you're starting to sound like rvd5star69!
          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
            With all due respect, you're starting to sound like rvd5star69!
            How can I? I know how to put capital letters, lower case letters, AND punctuation in my sentences!

I'm not on the bandwagon, I'm merely taking the mugshots of those who board.

Comment

Im not anywhere near a "Fire Appert" bandwagon, I believe in Appert's hair. But I also do not stand for the team being totally unprepared on Friday against Brown not to mention all of the other major letdowns like Army that just should not happen. Obviously the players have to be ready to play and have their heads in the game, but you have to put at least some of the responsibility on the coaching staff - even if it's just a fraction. We're going to get better and we will, but if we end up with the same record or worse next year(unless we have like York, Polacek, Jerry, O'Grady, Kennedy all get injured - thats a fair excuse) then Appert needs to take a real good look at what hes trying to accomplish.

That actually reminds me, Fridgen had some really bad injury and illness excuses for his last 2 years, so if you do look at everything including records, this team has still not become as good as it was before Fridgen left - although the difference in skill is pretty obvious.

Not sure why people can't just agree that something different needs to be done and that this season did not live up to the potential, of course we're not instantly going to be at the very top but we can certainly be better than average + having a bunch of losses to the lesser teams. Honestly, nothing spectacular was required this year; just beat the teams that you are supposed to beat and have a couple nice surprises (like both Yale games, UNH, BU, and maybe @ Q'pac) while competing in every game.

I'm actually pretty good at gambling, as long as it isn't on sports...
              The color of illusion is perfect blue
              Chase: What Matters.

Comment

Im not anywhere near a "Fire Appert" bandwagon, I believe in Appert's hair. But I also do not stand for the team being totally unprepared on Friday against Brown not to mention all of the other major letdowns like Army that just should not happen. Obviously the players have to be ready to play and have their heads in the game, but you have to put at least some of the responsibility on the coaching staff - even if it's just a fraction. We're going to get better and we will, but if we end up with the same record or worse next year(unless we have like York, Polacek, Jerry, O'Grady, Kennedy all get injured - thats a fair excuse) then Appert needs to take a real good look at what hes trying to accomplish.
                I cannot speak for game 1 because I was in Ithaca watching the women's game. However, based upon this entire paragraph, it sounds like you want him gone. As for the hair, I'll get you a glossy of a promo poster for The Mighty Ducks.

That actually reminds me, Fridgen had some really bad injury and illness excuses for his last 2 years, so if you do look at everything including records, this team has still not become as good as it was before Fridgen left - although the difference in skill is pretty obvious.
                Kirk MacDonald his final year..... who else?

I'm actually pretty good at gambling, as long as it isn't on sports...
                Can you count 8 decks?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  Good stuff Wholin, I know there's more than a few fans here that have come to the same understanding and respect level for Union as well.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I cannot speak for game 1 because I was in Ithaca watching the women's game. However, based upon this entire paragraph, it sounds like you want him gone. As for the hair, I'll get you a glossy of a promo poster for The Mighty Ducks.

Kirk MacDonald his final year..... who else?

Can you count 8 decks?
                    If I recall Farnyuk(sp?) was injured just before or during the playoffs one year and I know there were definitely other, but those players are certainly key enough to have a large affect on the team and morale

Not sure how my post seems like I want him fired, I said he has to look at what hes doing - hes a new coach, is he going to keep the same style for his entire career? Maybe he needs to do something else to get to the players motivated, maybe he needs to put something to another assistant (like the penalty kill going to Vines, worked wonders).

This RPI section just seems so single-minded in "you're for Appert or you're against, there is no inbetween". How about being for adapting to scenarios, giving your players the best possible environment to succeed in, and giving it your best shot. I am not in the locker room, but some of you act like you are even though you clearly are not. I'll believe what Appert tells us because I have no other choice, but how can someone put all the blame or all the praise on just the coaches or just the players especially when they don't even know whats going on? And how can someone blame a fan for having an opinion on the matter? If I or anyone else wants to say that the coaching staff has to have something to do with the record this season...is that wrong? They had nothing to do with it all? Honestly? Do you have to get worse to get better? Because I don't see that written in any contracts.

"I Seth Appert will make this team worse for 3 years and make a return to mediocrity in the 4th year before finally returning to the glory of the early 2000's.." Seriously, some people seem to think that it is literally written out and of course there are others that think the opposite "we have to be the best instantly and if not its a failure" which is just as wrong.

Stop making ridiculous assumptions and just say what we all know, this year was a disappointment(don't lie to yourselves, it was) and hopefully next year will be better but who knows the rest of the league is improving as well. All you can ask for is the team to compete 60 minutes every night and the coaches to do the best they can with the players they have.

I can count decks as long as I don't have to dress up in silly costumes or fake bad accents like some MIT students might.
                    also: boo to everyone that doesn't show up to games or leaves early, honestly. The attendance this year was pathetic despite some really great hockey (and some really bad) but what reason does the team have to play if we can't even fill the rink 3/4 every night. Not sure whats more disappointing, the alum section or student section.
                    Last edited by ThePeople; 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM.
                    The color of illusion is perfect blue
                    Chase: What Matters.

Comment

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

If I recall Farnyuk(sp?) was injured just before or during the playoffs one year and I know there were definitely other, but those players are certainly key enough to have a large affect on the team and morale

Not sure how my post seems like I want him fired, I said he has to look at what hes doing - hes a new coach, is he going to keep the same style for his entire career? Maybe he needs to do something else to get to the players motivated, maybe he needs to put something to another assistant (like the penalty kill going to Vines, worked wonders).

This RPI section just seems so single-minded in "you're for Appert or you're against, there is no inbetween". How about being for adapting to scenarios, giving your players the best possible environment to succeed in, and giving it your best shot. I am not in the locker room, but some of you act like you are even though you clearly are not. I'll believe what Appert tells us because I have no other choice, but how can someone put all the blame or all the praise on just the coaches or just the players especially when they don't even know whats going on? And how can someone blame a fan for having an opinion on the matter? If I or anyone else wants to say that the coaching staff has to have something to do with the record this season...is that wrong? They had nothing to do with it all? Honestly? Do you have to get worse to get better? Because I don't see that written in any contracts.

"I Seth Appert will make this team worse for 3 years and make a return to mediocrity in the 4th year before finally returning to the glory of the early 2000's.." Seriously, some people seem to think that it is literally written out and of course theres other that think the opposite "we have to be the best instantly and if not its a failure" which is just as wrong.

Stop ridiculous assumptions and just say the truth, this year was a disappointment(don't lie to yourselves, it was) and hopefully next year will be better but who knows the rest of the league is improving as well. All you can ask for is the team to compete 60 minutes every night and the coaches to do the best they can with the players they have.

also: boo to everyone that doesn't show up to games or leaves early, honestly. The attendance this year was pathetic despite some really great hockey (and some really bad) but what reason does the team have to play if we can't even fill the rink 3/4 every night. Not sure whats more disappointing, the alum section or student section.
                      Oh yea, I'm DEFINITELY disappointed with our FIRST winning season since I first began to attend RPI. I'll stop ridiculous assumptions when you stop defining when we tell ourselves the truth.

With the exception of Lynah and POSSIBLY Ingalls, most schools would give their right arm to have our regular crowd size. Yea, so we can't necessarily fill up the building. It's the largest capacity building in the league. Maybe in order to make ThePeople happy, we should move all of our games to Northford Ice Pavilion, or maybe some other dinky rink.

Comment

Oh yea, I'm DEFINITELY disappointed with our FIRST winning season since I first began to attend RPI. I'll stop ridiculous assumptions when you stop defining when we tell ourselves the truth.
                        Ignore that poseur. If he's willing to brand an entire season a failure based on one disappointing weekend, he deserves to be shunned.

This team was picked to finish TENTH. We were a goal away from having this past weekend off. If he's disappointed by that, he'll never be satisfied. **** him.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by crossbar View Post
                          What ARE you talking about? Please explain. But, don't give the "they're men of fine character"etc. I'm sure they are, I'm sure you probably are as well, but that doesn't mean I want to watch you play hockey. RC, the game is played to be won.
                          You see everything in black and white, but we live in a gray world. That is why you will never understand why your point of view on this is, quite frankly, idiotic.

Let's take a trip back in time, back when Dan Fridgen was the head coach. Let me start by saying this: I consider Mr. Fridgen to be a friend. I saw him last month for the first time in a couple of years and had a great conversation with him. I miss talking to him and having him around regularly.

That said, let's be all the way real here. By the time he left the Institute, his list of supporters among the boosters was getting pretty slim. Teams were underperforming - that is, playing more poorly than they had been expected to do - and the quality of recruits was down significantly. People were not happy.

A new coach comes in, and far too many people started expecting the sun and the moon and the stars right away. The approach was simple, perhaps too simple for a person such as yourself to understand - Seth Appert learned how to win from some of the best in the game. Now, he decided, he would work to emulate their success. But it just wasn't possible with the players he inherited. It was a different system than they were recruited to play. Some took to the system well. Others didn't. All should be commended for giving it their best (at least, those who did).

The "bedwetters," of which you are a prime example, were impatient. They didn't want to hear about what it took to build a foundation of a solid, winning program. They didn't want to wait for the cake to finish baking, they wanted to eat it now. They wanted results in 2007-08, not 2010-11.

The first three years were painful, it's true. No one was jumping for joy at the losses, the heartaches, the entire seasons of misery. But those of us who were willing to look past the records (the forest) and see the groundwork being laid for a successful future (the trees) had consolation. The bedwetters continue to refuse consolation.

Last season, I think, turned out worse than even those optimistic about the direction of the program thought it would be. Last season, the naysayers came out in full force, only to be oddly silenced after the win over Dartmouth in the first round. That will happen. The best laid plans of mice and men are often go awry. But we could still see the basis. The foundation. We could see the building blocks in place for future glory.

Tell me, crossbar, who is Jacob Laliberte? Who is Luke Curadi? Do you know these people? Vaguely heard of them? Did you know who Jerry D'Amigo was before October? If not, I can understand your trepidation, but your opinion of the state of the program comes from a position of extreme ignorance.

The best team doesn't always win, and the better team did not walk away from Houston Field House this weekend with a ticket to the next round. The team had a bad weekend and paid for it with the end of their season. Yes, I wish things had been different. The game is played to be won - but playing for the short-term means a longer, more difficult long-term. I had thought that was a lesson that had been learned with bitter tears in the early part of the last decade, but perhaps I was mistaken. Some people are content to repeat the mistakes of yesteryear if it earns them instant gratification. And that's why you are upset - you have no instant gratification.

Meanwhile, down the stretch, when the team IS more successful because of these last few seasons of tears (of which this season was NOT one of them - precisely BECAUSE they put together the record you so ruefully disdain), you will care not about what happened before it, or why it was that they are successful. All you will care about is that they are winning and now you're happy.

But you won't be anywhere nearly as happy as those of us who paid attention, who saw the building blocks going into place, who saw the greater plan, and are now watching it reach fruition.

You know what should be the most embarassing part of all for you? Fans of other teams - Union, St. Lawrence, and Colgate already in just this thread alone - see what is happening and have noted that they expect bright things ahead based on it. You're a supposed supporter of this team, and you don't see ANYTHING.

That's sad. I pity you.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

You guys are ignoring the fact that Fridgen left the cupboard completely empty for Appert when he took over. The local recruiting luck had completely filtered out of the system and the secondary benefits we'd had from when he had the local guys had also completely faded. We were signing far less talented guys far later than other ECAC school; we were just picking up the scraps. If a change wasn't made, we would have become what Brown has been the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                              You guys are ignoring the fact that Fridgen left the cupboard completely empty for Appert when he took over. The local recruiting luck had completely filtered out of the system and the secondary benefits we'd had from when he had the local guys had also completely faded. We were signing far less talented guys far later than other ECAC school; we were just picking up the scraps. If a change wasn't made, we would have become what Brown has been the past few years.
                              Hey Ken, completely empty is not accurate! That is a slap in the face to the players that were at RPI for four years. Let's blame Coach Appert's lack of success on Fridgen scraps! (Croxton, Lange, McDonald, Eizenman) If it were completely empty, the 2005-2006 record would have been worse.

Why even compare the two? Different time, different parameters, different players, and different administrative support, not to mention the budgets.

This weekend was totally unexpected. Coach Appert will learn from it and move forward, as will the players. Time for us fans to do the same.

Sorry for the intrusion.
                              Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                                Hey Ken, completely empty is not accurate! That is a slap in the face to the players that were at RPI for four years. Let's blame Coach Appert's lack of success on Fridgen scraps! (Croxton, Lange, McDonald, Eizenman) If it were completely empty, the 2005-2006 record would have been worse.

Why even compare the two? Different time, different parameters, different players, and different administrative support, not to mention the budgets.

This weekend was totally unexpected. Coach Appert will learn from it and move forward, as will the players. Time for us fans to do the same.

Sorry for the intrusion.
                                Don't worry one bit about intruding. You want to talk about RPI men's hockey? This is definitely the place to do it. I think some of the concern was whether or not the NHL had their eye on any of Fridgen's players, or whether they decided to make something of themselves while playing in college. They all had their talents. Farynuk and Croxton were impressively good at "Squish the Midget". MacDonald was an offensive powerhouse, and if he were on the present-day team, I'm sure he'd give Chase Polacek a run for his money on the scoresheet.

There is some merit to what knsmith is saying, because Appert's system is so much more different than Fridgen's system. This is why some of the players like Kipp, Cyr, and Harvard-player-who-must-not-be-named were either cut or left. I wouldn't put all the blame on the recruits, but it has to be a shocker to suddenly have to play a different system than what you were recruited for.

Comment

Working...
                                X