X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Maybe it should be termed the Substandard-Freeloader.
    This appears to be a bit more accurate. What a terrible newspaper. That story was filled with more information than anything we've seen out of there all year.

I also don't like being proven correct on the apparent academic issues.
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      No, but that's not to say that it was a legitimate post. ThePeople is an established whiner who's never had word one to say about the team that was positive.
      This makes me wonder if there would still be something to complain about had we won a national championship. Your faux article comes to mind.

Plus, Yale won as many games as we did in the ECAC playoffs this year. Given their regular season performance, take it for what it's worth, but the same bodes true or nearly true for Colgate (did SLU sweep them? I can't remember). Complaints there?
      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        No, but that's not to say that it was a legitimate post. ThePeople is an established whiner who's never had word one to say about the team that was positive.
        Yes, there was a good deal of whining in that post, but also some legitimate questions. You can't deny that the team made great strides, but that the ending was disappointing. An upgrade in the blue line corps should help next year.

Comment

Attendance could continue to be an issue as ticket prices will likely be rising with $746M in debt.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...sdate=4/8/2010
          Last edited by Wholin1; 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM. Reason: Forgot the link.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
            Sadly, he may be right on this one. A full graduating class that went through this school without seeing a winning season definitely killed some of the enthusiasm on campus. However, the freshmen were initiated correctly this season and I think their enthusiasm will hold and bring in more fans.
            Sadly, I must agree with you here. Section 33 hasn't been the same since the inception of the Red Army. I do not put anything upon them as reasoning, but it used to be a rocking place, and I was proud to have season tickets there. I spent a lot of time with good local and college friends with whom I still go to games to this day (OK, I graduated two years ago, but it still could have ended when Jackson handed the sheepskins out).

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              Attendance could continue to be an issue as ticket prices will likely be rising with $746M in debt.
              They didn't go up all that much (if at all) this year at RPI, with the exception of the prestige pricing games. Unfortunately for your wallet, Union falls into that bracket. I do trust the Student Union with their budgeting capabilities and to keep a decent price on the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                Yes, there was a good deal of whining in that post, but also some legitimate questions. You can't deny that the team made great strides, but that the ending was disappointing. An upgrade in the blue line corps should help next year.
                Coming in yelling about looking towards making coaching changes is not asking questions, it's being a creep. A young team having issues closing out games or playing smart shouldn't shock anyone. It's all part of the ride.

But hey, if he wants to toss the coach out on his ear after the first good season this team has seen in a few years, I'll let him be the village idiot.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  They didn't go up all that much (if at all) this year at RPI, with the exception of the prestige pricing games. Unfortunately for your wallet, Union falls into that bracket. I do trust the Student Union with their budgeting capabilities and to keep a decent price on the games.
                  According to publicly available Union (RPI Student Union, that is) financial documents, the team is expected to raise $95,000 in ticket sales for the 2010-2011 season, while expenses are budgeted at $497,983.48, up 7.03% from last year. The students end up eating that increase in the form of a 3.37% increase in the activity fee, which will be $537.50 per undergrad next year.

It's important to remember that RPI students directly pay for all non-Salary hockey expenses through the activity fee. I'm under the impression we're unique among Div1 hockey teams in this regard.

I'm a student government/budgeting insider, if you have any additional questions feel free to post.
                  RPI Class of 2012
                  Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                    According to publicly available Union (RPI Student Union, that is) financial documents, the team is expected to raise $95,000 in ticket sales for the 2010-2011 season, while expenses are budgeted at $497,983.48, up 7.03% from last year. The students end up eating that increase in the form of a 3.37% increase in the activity fee, which will be $537.50 per undergrad next year.

It's important to remember that RPI students directly pay for all non-Salary hockey expenses through the activity fee. I'm under the impression we're unique among Div1 hockey teams in this regard.

I'm a student government/budgeting insider, if you have any additional questions feel free to post.
                    Thank you for the details. As an alum, I don't keep good tabs on current student happenings, unless my friends are complaining about it on Facebook.

$95,000 seems a bit conservative, however it's probably best to be conservative than aggressive when budgeting potential income. Is there a discretionary fund for the next year if actual income overtakes expected?

I didn't realize the Union Activity fee was that high; I don't know if my Union fee went above $450. I could be wrong, though, I usually didn't look at the bill THAT closely.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Ticket prices and parking pass fees for the public did indeed increase this season. I don't have the forms nearby by to check but I'd guess that it was somewhere in the vicinity of a 10% increase. The fees for the Let's Go Red Booster club room increased dramatically ....and was sparsely populated all season long.
                      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Congrats to Jerry and Chase for being the subjects of Tom Boggie's ECAC column in this month's THN.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

While attendance is down, FlagDUDE makes the point that we are still consistently top 3 in the conference...
                          If, despite lower attendance numbers, we are consistently among the Top 3, then the rest of the league's attendance must also be suffering, No?

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Ticket prices and parking pass fees for the public did indeed increase this season. I don't have the forms nearby by to check but I'd guess that it was somewhere in the vicinity of a 10% increase.
                            Student ticket prices remained constant. The season ticket price actually decreased because we didn't have the games at the TUC which cost an arm and a leg.

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            If, despite lower attendance numbers, we are consistently among the Top 3, then the rest of the league's attendance must also be suffering, No?
                            I will look into trends tomorrow, but I have two tests tomorrow, so it will not be tonight.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              Juha picked Clarkson over SLU, Harvard, Princeton and Notre Dame. Apparently RPI wasnt after him. I hope to hear some good news about Ming in the next couple weeks. If we can land him I believe that would be our first forward recruit for 2011.
                              No offense to Tech'ers out there, but if he picked Clarkson over those schools, his parents need to be incarcerated...

Comment

I will look into trends tomorrow, but I have two tests tomorrow, so it will not be tonight.
                                Good god man, where are your priorities?

Comment

Working...
                                X