X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    IIRC, Jooris has also specialized in teaching face-off technique as a coach... that wouldn't suck. I have no idea who Seth would like to hire, but am willing to bet he will be to talking about the job in Detroit at the FF.
    Thanks for pointing out that Nolan Graham was Johnny Rogic's coach. He could be interested in returning to RPI and being much younger than Jooris is more likely to have an interest. I do agree that SA will be looking in Detroit.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

OK, time to break this down instead of just trading insults.....

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
      This confuses me...he has not had a good season yet
      A winning season isn't good? I bet 33-0-1 wouldn't be good either, eh?

attendance has been pathetic
      Yale might be close, but we are consistently either 2nd or 3rd for regular crowds in the ECAC. You may be making percentage compariosns, but I'm making body comparisons.

he had more than enough talent this past season with a junior/senior defense core + player of the year + 2nd best goalie in the league + rookie of the year...which all amounted to 6th place in a weak league and a first round loss to a first year head coach.
      Only 3 or 4 of our losses were blowouts. Close games can go either way, and individual mistakes in the heat of the moment can be the difference. But, you must want 20 robots playing that are programmed to not make mistakes.

Sure the team showed glimpses of brilliance, but they had more games where they were just not good.
      Ask anyone around campus about hockey and they'll tell you "I don't go because the team is bad".
      Burgie12, you're on campus, would you like to answer ThePeople's question?

I've been excited about every single year knowing how good the players are and how good the recruits are, but the result has been the same every year...will more talent even help? will we even get more talent? will another year of experience for Jerry + Pirri help or will they end up like AAG + Cullen playing mediocre hockey for most of the season and only really showing up for a couple games
      Look at who Jerry calls every other week, what they talk about, and call me again.

As a good player would you want to go to a team that is academically challenging, gets low attendance, hasn't showed any ability to win, and has a coach that is young and has openly blamed/insulted his players for losing games?
      They go to major juniors which usually has even lower attendance; I'll say it again: Winning Season; and the coach knows exactly where the issue is with our close games, so why not be blunt and call it out so the players know where to improve?

So theres basically reason to believe that Jerry might only play one more year, same with Pirri, and that Laliberte may not come. So now...explain.
      Two out of three are NHL draftees that are actively looked at by their respective clubs, and one we are debating on here about college eligibility. Next?

I'm open to opinions, please tell me why he deserves that large of an extension at this point. We should also keep in mind that Yale's coach came in the same time as Appert...look what hes done. Or how about what Leaman has done with significantly less talent.
      Persuade me without saying 'our recruits are good' or 'we have talented players', because we did last year and even the year before. Enlighten me on why Appert is such a great coach despite the team making the same mistakes all year long and losing to teams that were not good or teams that were playing without most of their best players
      Coach takes the talent we have and molds it for the betterment of the team. Let's look at some of the players you did NOT mention, like Paul Kerins, Joel Malchuk, and John Kennedy. Individually, I don't know if I'd pick them at the track right away. Look at how they take the talent they have and put it towards the team, though. That's what's the most important in a team sport. The "same mistakes" were at the individual level, and in the heat of the moment, that is completely up to the players, not to the coach. The coach gives clear and concise strategy, but the coach is not the one who executes it.

Comment

Now that we don't have a separate recruit thread, we have passed MTU's off-season thread again.

If we have periodic news events, like Rogic yesterday, we might be able to keep up with them.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM. Reason: speeling
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Chris Heisenberg is reporting that Clarkson has signed Patrick Koudys's defensive partner, Luke Juha, who someone once reported that we were after. I don't know if we actually were.
          Juha picked Clarkson over SLU, Harvard, Princeton and Notre Dame. Apparently RPI wasnt after him. I hope to hear some good news about Ming in the next couple weeks. If we can land him I believe that would be our first forward recruit for 2011.

Comment

FlagDude08,

RPI's attendance, while still better than most other ECAC schools, is definitely down and has been going down for many years. A more exciting team, which we had the past season and will have next season, should improve things.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
              Juha picked Clarkson over SLU, Harvard, Princeton and Notre Dame. Apparently RPI wasnt after him. I hope to hear some good news about Ming in the next couple weeks. If we can land him I believe that would be our first forward recruit for 2011.
              Do you have a link for Juha's choices? I figured that we probably weren't interested in him.

I hope that you are correct about Ming the Merciless.

Edit: never mind about Juha. I assume it was USHR.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Edit: never mind about Juha. I assume it was USHR.
                Yep.

Comment

Dude, that slime isn't worth the time OR effort. Just ignore his insane ramblings.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                    I truly hope that Mr. Ming still considers playing at RPI his "dream." Admittedly I'm not the best junior talent evaluator but it seems like he could be Polacek's replacement - the sooner we find one, the better.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

My apologies for entering a non-hockey related post, but I can't think of another forum where I would be more likely to find someone familiar with RPI's graduate admissions process.

My son will graduate from Muhlenberg College this spring with a degree in mathematics. He has been accepted at two graduate schools, one of which is RPI.

He visited RPI three weeks ago and was told that most, but not necessarily all grad students will receive teaching assistantships, which involve free tuition and an annual stipend of $17,500.

The other school he applied to told him a couple of weeks ago that they will give him a teaching assistantship, but the stipend will be only about $6,000.

He would prefer to come to RPI if he could get a financial deal even comparable to what the other school is offering, but RPI has yet to tell him whether he can have a teaching assistantship or not. For that matter, they haven't even told him how much the tuition would be if he had to pay it.

There is a deadline of April 15 for him to formally notify the two schools whether he's coming or not, so he has to make up his mind soon, and it's kind of hard when he doesn't have all the information about the financial aspects.

Does RPI always wait until the last minute like this before deciding whether to offer teaching assistantships?

Comment

And the soap opera continues. http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2524833

There could be other Colts moving on as well. Captain and leading scorer Jacob Laliberte is expected to head south and play NCAA Division I hockey along with Leboeuf at Rensselaer (RPI) in Troy, N.Y., however the 19-year-old still has a year of junior eligibility remaining, and MacInnis didn't completely shut the door on the chance of him returning.

Laliberte has already deferred his scholarship to RPI once in order to play in Cornwall this season, and MacInnis said he still has some academic issues to complete before he can make the move to the college level.

"At the end of the day, it's really up to him if he thinks he's ready to do it," said the coach. "He hasn't said one way or the other (if he plans on going)."

In an interview last month, Laliberte told the Standard-Freeholder that he was planning to make the jump to RPI next season.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          My apologies for entering a non-hockey related post, but I can't think of another forum where I would be more likely to find someone familiar with RPI's graduate admissions process.

My son will graduate from Muhlenberg College this spring with a degree in mathematics. He has been accepted at two graduate schools, one of which is RPI.

He visited RPI three weeks ago and was told that most, but not necessarily all grad students will receive teaching assistantships, which involve free tuition and an annual stipend of $17,500.

The other school he applied to told him a couple of weeks ago that they will give him a teaching assistantship, but the stipend will be only about $6,000.

He would prefer to come to RPI if he could get a financial deal even comparable to what the other school is offering, but RPI has yet to tell him whether he can have a teaching assistantship or not. For that matter, they haven't even told him how much the tuition would be if he had to pay it.

There is a deadline of April 15 for him to formally notify the two schools whether he's coming or not, so he has to make up his mind soon, and it's kind of hard when he doesn't have all the information about the financial aspects.

Does RPI always wait until the last minute like this before deciding whether to offer teaching assistantships?
                          As is always the case, my knowledge is very outdated, but I am pretty sure that I found out earlier than that. I do add that my assistantship was changed to something else during the summer of 1968 so I would qualify for an occupational deferrment, the draft being a big issue back then.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            I truly hope that Mr. Ming still considers playing at RPI his "dream." Admittedly I'm not the best junior talent evaluator but it seems like he could be Polacek's replacement - the sooner we find one, the better.
                            I agree that he could be Polacek's replacement, but with my new-founded optimism, I am penciling him as Halpern's replacement, since we are going to get a couple of forwards better than him also.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2524833

I will now just sit back and watch everyone go nuts over this.

Nevermind Ralph beat me to it haha...I should really read posts before I add one.
                              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                                http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2524833

I will now just sit back and watch everyone go nuts over this.

Nevermind Ralph beat me to it haha...I should really read posts before I add one.
                                It definitely seems that academics is the issue. I wonder if he doesn't get into RPI if he will go to another school. It's hard to believe that he won't qualify academically for other colleges (I won't provide suggestions ) if he doesn't get into RPI, and he has the hockey talent to play anywhere. SA wouldn't have made him an offer if he was far removed from qualifying. It's the same thing as our offer to Helfrich when he didn't get into Brown.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X