X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08
    Inaugural award? I almost want to call this the "Ken's p'd off that Trabucco didn't make first team so I'm going to make my own" Award, and a bunch of other broadcasters decided to follow suit. However, I'm very happy that they recognized Pirri's talents. I think, if anything, putting Paul Kerins with him and Marty was one of the best moves, because Paul really was a very underrated player this year, and his talents deserved a terrific playmaker in Pirri.

DrD, you're absolutely correct that we have a lot to look forward to next year. This thread will be buzzing throughout the off-season.

BTW, I know we're a couple months out still, but any predictions on the NHL Draft? Most of our players have either already been drafted or are too old to be drafted (not sure about Marty O'Grady, though), but how about also with our prospective recruits?
    Though you are correct that Schott was unhappy about how Union got boned - and I agree with him on that issue - in the post-season awards, this bogus media all-star team was probably in the works before the league team was announced.

And please, don't cal him a broadcaster; that is not really fair to the professional broadcasters in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Not surprising to me Ralph-RPI has had the habit of playing to the level of the competition for as long as I can rememer-47 years. It an be terribly frustrating that we were 4-1-2 against NCAA tournament teams and 0-2 against Army an Niagara
      Add loses at the end to Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and Brown, the rebound win over Q'Pac and the ties with SLU and Cornell and you have the season in a nut shell; a rollercoaster of a second half. After starting 2010 at 6-2-2, they limped home at 2-5-1.

Comment

Does anyone know if RPI season tickets will be offered again this year at a discount price if you order them before June 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Rensselear?
          I tell ya, we just get no respect!!!

I've been away for about a week, nice to see Chase make the second phase.
          I made sure to vote enough to make up for the days I was away.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
            Add loses at the end to Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and Brown, the rebound win over Q'Pac and the ties with SLU and Cornell and you have the season in a nut shell; a rollercoaster of a second half. After starting 2010 at 6-2-2, they limped home at 2-5-1.
            We beat Harvard. The only game that I have a problem with leading up to the playoffs, was Colgate. Getting beat out of the bye on a head to head match was disappointing. We just have a hard time beating that team.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              We beat Harvard. The only game that I have a problem with leading up to the playoffs, was Colgate. Getting beat out of the bye on a head to head match was disappointing. We just have a hard time beating that team.
              Ooops; you're right about beating Harvard. I disagree about the Colgate loss, however. They were a good team, and RPI has a lot of trouble in that barn for some reason.

I think the Dartmouth and Princeton losses and losing three out of four to Brown in the second half were much more disheartening. Those were teams in the bottom four in the standings, with clearly less talent that RPI. Posting a 1-5 record against them is much worse than losing by a goal at Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Any chance we could sneak into the locker room each week and put up a copy of the polls saying the teams we are playing that week are #1 and #2 in the nation?
                Brillinat!!! Maybe having them go to a different locker room in HFH between the first and second period would also help. The team has had difficulty playing well in the second period at home the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  It's the curse of Fridgen, I tell ya!

But, going back to posting something that doesn't have me on a losing streak, when was the last time we had a winning record in February for the regular season? I know we made 500 this year (beat Harvard, CCT, and Q-Pac; lost to Dartmouth, Princeton, and Colgate; tied SLU and Cornell).

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    Agree on Curadi-he will go somewhere an probably in those rounds. Laliberte is borderline because of his lack of size but he has ben followed closely by a couple of NHL teams and we might see him picked in a later round.
                    I feel like we've heard that same story with guys like Laliberte before (see, e.g., Brad Tapper, Ornelas) and it never seems to pan out. As you've said in the past, it really is for the best for the player to not get drafted rather than get picked in the 6th or 7th round.

Comment

[W]hen was the last time we had a winning record in February for the regular season?
                      2005-06. 3-2-3 with wins over Yale, Brown, and Cornell (all home); losses to Union (away) and Colgate (home); ties to Union (home), Princeton, and Quinnipiac (both away).

Playing to the level of their opponent is maddening, but I really think that the truth is that only the truly elite can consistently dominate even the weaker teams. For example, Miami lost twice to Robert Morris this season and Denver struggled to get past Michigan Tech in the playoffs a couple weekends ago (MTU's goalie played outstanding, but that's another conversation).
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                        I feel like we've heard that same story with guys like Laliberte before (see, e.g., Brad Tapper, Ornelas) and it never seems to pan out. As you've said in the past, it really is for the best for the player to not get drafted rather than get picked in the 6th or 7th round.
                        So it was best for Jerry D'Amigo to not get drafted?

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          2005-06. 3-2-3 with wins over Yale, Brown, and Cornell (all home); losses to Union (away) and Colgate (home); ties to Union (home), Princeton, and Quinnipiac (both away).

Playing to the level of their opponent is maddening, but I really think that the truth is that only the truly elite can consistently dominate even the weaker teams. For example, Miami lost twice to Robert Morris this season and Denver struggled to get past Michigan Tech in the playoffs a couple weekends ago (MTU's goalie played outstanding, but that's another conversation).
                          Hockey is different from most other sports in that a hot goalie on an average team can be the difference in a game against a more talented squad.

Comment

So it was best for Jerry D'Amigo to not get drafted?
                            I definitely think he would have been better off to not be drafted than to be picked in the 7th round, if that's what you're asking?

Comment

Saw this headline today:

Red Cloud weighing complaint over officiating in regional title game
                              A bit premature??
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Back from the Diet pepsi times onion kknick area. Atlantic City had representatives at a table giving out what to do in AC info, ticket applications, and salt water taffy. I got a ticket application but their was no address to send mail it in. I mentioned it to the staff they wrote it on the back for me. Big oops. During the games the announcer referred to the info booth and was booed every time. It got to be almost like last minute of play and Clarkson....Pretty funny. Games were kind of boring low scoring. StL dominated Union in the third but somehow managed to loose. I might just go to AC to see RPI and meet DR D!

Comment

Working...
                                X