• Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Getting a little anxious Ralph?
    Must have.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Brandon Pirri is listed as Chicago's #10 prospect and Jerry D'Amigo as Toronto's #10 in the Hockey News's Future Watch issue.
      Here is what they wrote:

BRANDON PIRRI
      C, 18, 6-0 160
      RPI (ECAC)
      28-8-25-33-45
      Scouts call his skill and instincts exceptional; more of a playmaker than finisher.
      Acquired
      2009 draft, 59th overall

JERRY D'AMIGO
      RW, 18, 5-11, 196
      RPI (ECAC)
      24-8-14-22-12
      WJC was coming-out party, scoring five times in final three games to help U.S. to gold.
      Acquired
      2009 draft, 158th overall
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Here is what they wrote:

BRANDON PIRRI
        C, 18, 6-0 160
        RPI (ECAC)
        28-8-25-33-45
        Scouts call his skill and instincts exceptional; more of a playmaker than finisher.
        Acquired
        2009 draft, 59th overall

JERRY D'AMIGO
        RW, 18, 5-11, 196
        RPI (ECAC)
        24-8-14-22-12
        WJC was coming-out party, scoring five times in final three games to help U.S. to gold.
        Acquired
        2009 draft, 158th overall
        I'll be there are several teams that had choices they could have used before #158 that are kicking themselves pretty good right now.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I agree strongly-over the years RPI has been robbed of several of the ECAC awards. My question is why? Anyone have some reasonable explanation for this? Why the negative bias?
          Since this thread is populated mostly by rabid RPI fans, I think that sometimes a little paranoia breaks out. You may be right about RPI getting boned on post-season individual awards in the past, but if so, please provide some specifics. The top post-season awards usually find their way to the top 3-4 teams, since it is reasonable to say that they would have more of the better players. I would have to do a little research, but I think RPI has had only one or two winning seasons in the past decade and finished in the top four of the ECAC just once in that time. They had two terrific players in that time in Cavosie and Murley. I think both received some ECAC honors. I know Ralph or someone else will correct me if I missed something, but you get my point. RPI has not been among the elite in this league for some time.

They finished 6th in the ECAC this year and just one game over .500 overall, yet had one player on the ECAC first team, one on the 2nd team and two on the rookie team. Polacek is a finalist for the POY Award and D’Amigo is rumored to be the choice for Rookie of the Year. I think they are well represented and primed to make the jump to elite status in the ECAC next season. It is very tough to be patient, but I think we are just about there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
            Since this thread is populated mostly by rabid RPI fans, I think that sometimes a little paranoia breaks out. You may be right about RPI getting boned on post-season individual awards in the past, but if so, please provide some specifics. The top post-season awards usually find their way to the top 3-4 teams, since it is reasonable to say that they would have more of the better players. I would have to do a little research, but I think RPI has had only one or two winning seasons in the past decade and finished in the top four of the ECAC just once in that time. They had two terrific players in that time in Cavosie and Murley. I think both received some ECAC honors. I know Ralph or someone else will correct me if I missed something, but you get my point. RPI has not been among the elite in this league for some time.

They finished 6th in the ECAC this year and just one game over .500 overall, yet had one player on the ECAC first team, one on the 2nd team and two on the rookie team. Polacek is a finalist for the POY Award and D’Amigo is rumored to be the choice for Rookie of the Year. I think they are well represented and primed to make the jump to elite status in the ECAC next season. It is very tough to be patient, but I think we are just about there.
            Not sure I understand your point here. How do INDIVIDUAL awards have anything to do with TEAM STANDINGS? You are making a huge assumption that a better team-deeper in talent- would have the best player. Where is the logic in that? Both Di Amigo and Polacek win this year AND the issue with refs over calling penalties is in the past.

Comment

This goes back into the nineties, when the team was strong every year for the most part.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by IMO View Post
                Not sure I understand your point here. How do INDIVIDUAL awards have anything to do with TEAM STANDINGS? You are making a huge assumption that a better team-deeper in talent- would have the best player. Where is the logic in that? Both Di Amigo and Polacek win this year AND the issue with refs over calling penalties is in the past.
                Sometimes it has a lot to do with team standings. I think it is fair to assume that the better teams have more of the top players. Since it is a team game some, though not all, voters would like to see statistics translated into wins. RPI made great strides this year, but even Seth Appert has admitted that he believes they underachieved. I don't think that was Polacek's fault, but let's face it, if they were going to Albany this weekend, he would be a lock for POY.

Polacek had great stats this year, but that is not the end all in determining the best player. If voters went only by stats, Backman's teammate Broc Little would be a finalist, since he had more goals and more assists than Backman. I still think Scrivens will win because he has been the best goalie in the league for three years.

How did officiating get into the discussion of post season awards? Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that people were discussing RPI players getting overlooked for post-season awards. I agree with the officiating remarks, but that is for another discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  What are his chances? I would think Backman has "hurt" his badly. CP gets my (non)vote.
                  Don't be so sure! No disrespect to Brown intended, but you can't underestimate Backman's value to his team, especially since they failed to win their series.

I agree with WS regarding Chase. His performance this year was worthy of POTY recognition. I hope I'm wrong, but I see Backman as the dark horse in this race.
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    This goes back into the nineties, when the team was strong every year for the most part.
                    Exactly-I was thinking of the late 80's through the late 90's. I agree that the last 5 years we certainly can't complain much about not winning any individual awards. And I don't think individual awards should really be decided in any way by how successful the team has been.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Exactly-I was thinking of the late 80's through the late 90's. I agree that the last 5 years we certainly can't complain much about not winning any individual awards. And I don't think individual awards should really be decided in any way by how successful the team has been.
                      That is your opinion, but many voters use team performance as one criteria in determining how they vote.

Comment

Sometimes it has a lot to do with team standings. I think it is fair to assume that the better teams have more of the top players. Since it is a team game some, though not all, voters would like to see statistics translated into wins. RPI made great strides this year, but even Seth Appert has admitted that he believes they underachieved. I don't think that was Polacek's fault, but let's face it, if they were going to Albany this weekend, he would be a lock for POY.

Polacek had great stats this year, but that is not the end all in determining the best player. If voters went only by stats, Backman's teammate Broc Little would be a finalist, since he had more goals and more assists than Backman. I still think Scrivens will win because he has been the best goalie in the league for three years.

How did officiating get into the discussion of post season awards? Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that people were discussing RPI players getting overlooked for post-season awards. I agree with the officiating remarks, but that is for another discussion.
                        Still going with both DiAmigo and Polacek to take the awards. I added the official comment because I think it is time to move on from the past-not winning the awards our players deserved--beaten by the refs bad calls etc....just trying to make an effort to see all the good that has come to this program....new coaches, new style of play, talented players-it is time to see the good. You can't be a great program or team when you focus on the past and talk about why something did or didn't happen. I don't think this team does that so we should honor them and all stop. What counts is what this program has now and even though this team didn't make it past the first round what this YOUNG (we have 2 juniors that just turned 21 and one that is still 20)team accomplished this year has been exciting and fun to watch. I for one see good things ahead.

Comment

I'm not going to pitch a nutty over it. It's just the way things are. Eventually, you get used to it. Besides, getting upset over something that you have no control over is kind of a glaring characteristic of a certain subset of RPI fans with whom I have had intellectual clashes over the past season.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by IMO View Post
                            Still going with both DiAmigo and Polacek to take the awards. I added the official comment because I think it is time to move on from the past-not winning the awards our players deserved--beaten by the refs bad calls etc....just trying to make an effort to see all the good that has come to this program....new coaches, new style of play, talented players-it is time to see the good. You can't be a great program or team when you focus on the past and talk about why something did or didn't happen. I don't think this team does that so we should honor them and all stop. What counts is what this program has now and even though this team didn't make it past the first round what this YOUNG (we have 2 juniors that just turned 21 and one that is still 20)team accomplished this year has been exciting and fun to watch. I for one see good things ahead.
                            Agreed. I think that this team could make a huge leap next season. As I said after the Brown series, I was impressed by the positive attitudes that most posters took in regards to the season. It was frustrating and disappointing that the season ended the way that it did, but most saw the promise of this team and were looking to the future. I like that.

Comment

engineerhockeyfan you forgot to include the championship game score in the ECAC Pick the Playoffs. Please correct. Thanks. And a reminder, only 3 more days to get your picks in.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Today is 17 March 2010. There are 205 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X