X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The same could have been said about Zarbo, but he turned out to be good for the practice squad. I realize that one played for Air Force while the other played for Bentley, but until I see him in game action, I have some doubts about what we picked up. What if he's the good twin?
    In fairness to Mark, he has a year left to contribute, so I am not ready to write him off. We also do not know what his injury status was this year....it sure would be nice if we had a beat reporter.

As for Greg B., Seth didn't give up a roster spot just because it'd be nice to have twins on the team. The coaches see an upside to his game -- that being physicality and tenacity at forward - he isn't going to be a prolific goal scorer -- it's not his mission. I for one look forward to seeing him on the ice.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Ralph, for the first and probably last time, I'm going to go ahead and sorta disagree with you on this one and agree with RVD. God, that sounds weird.

Laliberte committed to RPI in the same fashion that everyone else who commits to RPI does - with a verbal. Until he's officially not coming, he's coming. Thus, we plan for his arrival until he's either here or we know he's not coming. Let's not stick in a rut here.
      I hope that you are correct. I will be most happy to eat my words.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        I didn't realize that RPI led the ECAC in penalty minutes this season...

As SA also pointed out this weekend, even if you kill off penalties you're tiring out some of your most effective players. FWIW.
        RPI has been struggling with staying out of the box for the last twenty or so years. Wish I knew why...

Yes, and when two of your top forwards account for 9 penalties in a 3 game series, the hill is that much steeper. In all, we tallied 22 penalties vs. Brown.

Hopefully, we can learn from these mistakes and be the better for it next fall.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

For those hockey junkies out there Kenny Schott will doing a radio segment for the syrup suckers in Edmonton tonight...

"...Ken Schott is taking my college hockey knowledge to the Great White North tonight. I will be a guest on "The Pipeline Show" on the TEAM 1260 in Edmonton around 9:25 p.m. Eastern time. The show is online at www.thepipelineshow.com."

Comment

Congrats on your season, RPI. You're definitely a much improved team with some bona-fide stars in the making. I'm glad we don't have to play you next weekend, though it would have been a fun series.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I hope that you are correct. I will be most happy to eat my words.
              Eat your words? Ralph, how can you eat your words when you aren't saying either way? That doesn't make any sense. Why not just come out and say you don't think he's coming?
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                RPI has been struggling with staying out of the box for the last twenty or so years. Wish I knew why...
                It has gone on for much longer than that. In fact, I can't recall when it wasn't the case. I can only guess it has now become our reputation. The problem though is now we are even getting called for penalties frequently when we are already on the penalty kill. I have never seen so many 5 on 3 situations as in the past couple years. I frequently glance at other team's boxscores and maybe I am missing something but I don't see nearly as many double shorthanded situations. Kind of a shame because this year we really were not all that bad when we were down only 1 man.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

And I'm simply saying that it's not a big deal, because it wasn't unexpected.

Unless you're someone important, and you're not, kindly show yourself out of here. Nothing will come of this, so why bother? I'm not playing 20 questions on something this inane.
                  While I did not see this myself, I have friends who mentioned to me how rude the Brown players were leaving the rink. They sit near where the visiting team leaves and stated that they had not seen such rude actions in other teams. Same things that were mentioned - waving goodbye to the fans and pretending to be crying. While not obscene, it is not the type of thing that I would think that would be condoned by the aschool or coach. Doesn't leave a good impression regarding the school, as the team is representative of the school. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of what happened, but if it doesn't, oh well........doesn't really matter anyway.

Comment

Eat your words? Ralph, how can you eat your words when you aren't saying either way? That doesn't make any sense. Why not just come out and say you don't think he's coming?
                    I don't think that he is coming.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Where is the hemlock?

Comment

OK, there you go. And since there's been nothing concrete indicating that he won't be, WS won't be the only one who owes me a beer.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Of all the posters involved, I (and possibly burgie12, though he doesn't seem to be involved at this point) was the only one close enough to possibly hear anything they had to say. I did not hear anything. As for obscene gestures, as I said, I was not paying attention to that, so I can neither prove nor disprove.
                          I stopped paying attention to the Brown players as soon as the Cullen-Volpatti situation was resolved. I was giving my support to the Engineers as they were giving their stick salute and leaving the ice.

(Sorry for the late response, but I'm on break. )

Also, FD, I wouldn't be so sure that the Brown players were making their gestures towards us in 33... they may have been directing it more towards Section 8 / 9, as they were exiting the ice.

On other topics:
                          Talk of lines is clearly too early.

Yes, we take too many penalties. A bunch are dumb freshmen mistakes, but others are reputation based, and more are from going over the line / the refs not knowing where the line is on a given shift.

Is it hockey season yet?
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post

Yes, we take too many penalties. A bunch are dumb freshmen mistakes, but others are reputation based, and more are from going over the line / the refs not knowing where the line is on a given shift.

Is it hockey season yet?
                            Agree completely. Having watched most of the games broadcast I must say that this year the refs gave a confusing message almost every night. It has to be difficult to be a player and try to figure out what you can do on any given night. Some nights in some rinks with some refs you can get away with a completerly different game than the very next night. Years ago it seemed it was only one or two well known refs who were making most of the horrible calls-now it seems that there is just no consistency and at the risk of sounding like a homer-we did seem to get the brunt of the calls against us this year. I am not sure what coach SA can do about it other than to coach this team to play in such a way so as to minimize the chances for these calls being made (even at the expense of sacrificing some aggressiveness). I hope that does not become the situation because this team is fun to watch and there is an ocean of talent there. I just hope to see the same level of improvement next year as we had this year(if we do, we could be fighting for the top of the ECAC and grab an NCAA bid).

Comment

My dad brought up a good point. Maybe after fri Seth told guys to start playing browns style and get away from our style. Food for thought@
                              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                                My dad brought up a good point. Maybe after fri Seth told guys to start playing browns style and get away from our style. Food for thought@
                                I disagree wholeheartedly. RPI won on Saturday by speeding up and down the ice, playing an excellent transition game, and just all-around outskating Brown.

I don't blame the losses on Friday or Sunday on the wrong playing style, I blame it on being outworked by a team that was more willing to play clutch-and-grab.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X