16-27-9 peoples line
      18-19-malchuk
      4th line rotated lee halpern higgs
      helf rabbani watts

d1 5-8 one d one off guy
      d2 7- bailen

d3 lebouf quinn

york in net for 90 % of the starts
      Some comments. Laliberte and Polacek both are centers, although I guess that one could play wing. Also, it is far from a sure bet that Laliberte will show up, similarly for Quinn. I would be very surprised if Brutlag goes back to defense. I also hope that Helfrich gets back in the good graces of the staff. Personally I think that SA likes D'Amigo and Polacek together. Hopefully someone with size (Smith, G Burgdoerfer, Tinordi) plays regularly up front.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by ElGuapo34 View Post
        I guess it wasn't that big of a deal and shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. No big deal.
        Oh, I get it. I'm the a-hole.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Some comments. Laliberte and Polacek both are centers, although I guess that one could play wing. Also, it is far from a sure bet that Laliberte will show up, similarly for Quinn. I would be very surprised if Brutlag goes back to defense. I also hope that Helfrich gets back in the good graces of the staff. Personally I think that SA likes D'Amigo and Polacek together. Hopefully someone with size (Smith, G Burgdoerfer, Tinordi) plays regularly up front.
          Wow, I completely forgot about Justin Smith. He didn't play very much this year, did he?

Comment

Good thoughts-I also think Tinordi is going to fill a much lacking need and be a big force up front by the net. Way too early to think about lines until we know for sure who is coming. As far as helfrich, I only saw him once in person thia year but watching carefully on Ustream made me think he is just not at 100% for whatever reason. BTW I felt the same about Bergin the last few games. Something physical is just not quite right in both cases-but that is just this doctor's opinion. Laliberte is the key to the incoming class-he comes and we add instant offense. He doesn't come and we probably still have enough offense but will need the defense to be far more effective.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              I believe the late hit was by Patrick Cullen (I stand corrected if that is wrong). It was a mean spirited, blind sided, late hit and I am glad no one got severely injured. That being said-we need a lot more of that kind of spirited stuff. If we are going to get called for all sorts of nit picky junk, the least we should do is make sure we deserve it.
              It was a late hit, but it came after the Brown player sent a shot on net following the final horn, so justified in my opinion. I see a bit of attitude and tough, gritty - even chippy - play on the part of both Cullen and Pirri. I hope that the defensive corps displays more of that next year.

All that aside, I am impressed by the generally upbeat attitude of the posts on this site following what was a very disappointing loss to a less talented team. I was surprised that RPI was so thoroughly outplayed for so much of the series. It seemed that they had to have a loaded and cocked gun to their heads before they stepped up and matched Brown's intensity. I saw that as a problem most of the second half of the season; and Appert commented on it several times in media interviews. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope that the coaches can figure it out before next October. This is clearly one of the most talented teams in the ECAC and should make a lot of noise next season, if they can only figure out how to match the consistent level of intensity and execution of some of the other teams in the league.

Comment

Also, it is far from a sure bet that Laliberte will show up, similarly for Quinn.
                Ralph, for the first and probably last time, I'm going to go ahead and sorta disagree with you on this one and agree with RVD. God, that sounds weird.

Laliberte committed to RPI in the same fashion that everyone else who commits to RPI does - with a verbal. Until he's officially not coming, he's coming. Thus, we plan for his arrival until he's either here or we know he's not coming. Let's not stick in a rut here.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Good thoughts-I also think Tinordi is going to fill a much lacking need and be a big force up front by the net...
                  I think you can pencil in Greg Burgdoerfer for some ill-humor time in front of our opponents net. He's big (6'2" 205) as his brother and we're told he possesses the same on-ice tenacity (his favorite NHLer being Jerome Iginla.)

Don't forget Greg played in the USHL & has a year of D1 under his belt. He's the perfect foil for two free wheeling line mates...get to the net and cause some havoc. Having practiced with the team all year, he should hit the ground running next fall.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    I think you can pencil in Greg Burgdoerfer for some ill-humor time in front of our opponents net. He's big (6'2" 205) as his brother and we're told he possesses the same on-ice tenacity (his favorite NHLer being Jerome Iginla.)

Don't forget Greg played in the USHL & has a year of D1 under his belt. He's the perfect foil for two free wheeling line mates...get to the net and cause some havoc. Having practiced with the team all year, he should hit the ground running next fall.
                    I keep forgetting about him. He certainly fills a need for more size and ill humor in front of the opposing net.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

The same could have been said about Zarbo, but he turned out to be good for the practice squad. I realize that one played for Air Force while the other played for Bentley, but until I see him in game action, I have some doubts about what we picked up. What if he's the good twin?

Comment

You're right. His size will be a welcome addition up front.

Comment

I didn't realize that RPI led the ECAC in penalty minutes this season. If they could reduce those minutes by say 25% with a corresponding reduction in PPG's against with the same percentage of kills, that would lead to instant improvement without adding a player. Pretty obvious I realize but I have a firm grasp of the obvious. Union was heavily penalized a few seasons ago and were last in the league this year which had to have helped a lot, especially with the PK issues they were having early on. As SA also pointed out this weekend, even if you kill off penalties you're tiring out some of your most effective players. FWIW.

Comment

Somehow RPI's gotten a bad reputation for penalties here. They're not a team that does anything outstandingly obvious nor dirty.

Whatever.
                            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

What was the cause of the penalties? Aggressive play or stupidity? I think there were quite a few that were stupidity, and let's start off by eliminating those. Maturity and disciplining our game will help with that. If some of them are last gasp to prevent scoring chances, that's fine, we should take those. If it's truly aggressive plays, there's not much you can do about that, other than let the coach have at the refs and listen to the angry crowd.

Comment

FWIW, my road record with RPI this year was 1-3.
                                Mine was 3-0. I wish I could have gotten to more away games.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X