FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Within the hour I went to, and have returned from, the Coors Fitness Cneter in the Ricthie Center on the DU campus. The fitness center was essentially empty owing to the fact that students are finishing exams in order to get outta town ASAP to start spring break.

The weather outside as I drove home was sunny with the temps hovering near sixty degrees.

On my way to the parking lot I stopped at the ticket office and asked how many tickets were available for this evening's game. I was told in excess of two thousand are still on hand.

The "crowd" tonight at the game--actual bodies in the building, not some fictitious number of tickets distributed and/or sold--will be somewhere in the vicinity of thirty five hundred to four thousand, in a building which holds rtight at sixty two hundred when full. It's a shame for the players, coaches and fans of both teams that nothing about the atmosphere surrounding this series shouts "playoff hockey."

It's too bad that Denver seniors will play their final home games in an atmosphere which does nothing to rival the season they have helped author. Still, I'm looking forward to the games this weekend.
    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
      Within the hour I went to, and have returned from, the Coors Fitness Cneter in the Ricthie Center on the DU campus. The fitness center was essentially empty owing to the fact that students are finishing exams in order to get outta town ASAP to start spring break.

The weather outside as I drove home was sunny with the temps hovering near sixty degrees.

On my way to the parking lot I stopped at the ticket office and asked how many tickets were available for this evening's game. I was told in excess of two thousand are still on hand.

The "crowd" tonight at the game--actual bodies in the building, not some fictitious number of tickets distributed and/or sold--will be somewhere in the vicinity of thirty five hundred to four thousand, in a building which holds rtight at sixty two hundred when full. It's a shame for the players, coaches and fans of both teams that nothing about the atmosphere surrounding this series shouts "playoff hockey."

It's too bad that Denver seniors will play their final home games in an atmosphere which does nothing to rival the season they have helped author. Still, I'm looking forward to the games this weekend.
      1. School is going on on break, so there goes about 1,000 university connected people who tend to leave town. Happens every year and at a lot of schools, not just ours.

2. The #1 vs #10 matchup is unattractive. Plain and simple. DU just played Tech a few weeks ago.

3. The WCHA playoffs are a basically meaningless, protracted money grab by the league, and means very little in comparison to the regular season or the NCAA tourney. It's a little more than a sorbet in between two far more meaningful courses.

That said, I'll be there too.
      Last edited by Puck Swami; 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        1. School is going on on break, so there goes about 1,000 university connected people who tend to leave town. Happens every year and at a lot of schools, not just ours.

2. The #1 vs #10 matchup is unattractive. Plain and simple. DU just played Tech a few weeks ago.

3. The WCHA playoffs are a basically meaningless, protracted money grab by the league, and means very little in comparison to the regular season or the NCAA tourney. It's a little more than a sorbet in between two far more meaningful courses.

That said, I'll be there too.
        Enjoy the game.
        Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Well, DU got the job done in game 1, 2-1. DU controlled the play outshooting Tech 40-20, but Robinson played well in denying DU chances. DU is in final exams, so they looked like a team that hadn't slept well - misfiring on lots of chances. Now that finals are over, I expect they will be sharper tomorrow.

Tech played good road hockey and had some decent chances, but not a lot of sustained offensive momentum.

Comment

There were even less folks at the Merrimack @ Boston University Game, which surprised me.

DU doesn't get to keep any of the money for this event except expenses so they obviously put very little effort into marketing it. DU fans are not going to show up for a series like this unless they are playing Sconnie, UND, Minnesota or CC.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              There were even less folks at the Merrimack @ Boston University Game, which surprised me.

DU doesn't get to keep any of the money for this event except expenses so they obviously put very little effort into marketing it. DU fans are not going to show up for a series like this unless they are playing Sconnie, UND, Minnesota or CC.
              Attendance down big everywhere in the WCHA except UND, where the arch-rival is in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Attendance down big everywhere in the WCHA except UND, where the arch-rival is in town.
                It's not surprising when you consider that the only rivalry match-ups in the first round this year are MSU-M @ SCSU (which is a secondary rivalry to begin with), and MN @ UND.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

I don't care about any of your ****ing excuses, if you are the #1 team in country, in a city the size of Denver, you should pack your arena for a playoff game. NO MATTER WHO YOU'RE PLAYING.

****ing pathetic
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I don't care about any of your ****ing excuses, if you are the #1 team in country, in a city the size of Denver, you should pack your arena for a playoff game. NO MATTER WHO YOU'RE PLAYING.

****ing pathetic
                    You're biased and spoiled. Colorado is not Minnesota, there's actually life outside of hockey there.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      You're biased and spoiled. Colorado is not Minnesota, there's actually life outside of hockey there.
                      Not at all biased. Any team in the country, that is ranked #1 should pack their arena for a playoff game. Do you think Boston College wouldn't pack their arena if they were number 1 and playing Merrimack? Definitely. Michigan would pack Yost if they were 1 and playing Bowling Green. Cornell would pack Lynah if they were 1 and playing Brown. Hell, Air Force packs their arena when they play ****ing Canisius. The fact that Denver doesn't pack their arena when they're number 1 is pathetic, plain and simple. There are NO EXCUSES for that.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Not at all biased. Any team in the country, that is ranked #1 should pack their arena for a playoff game. Do you think Boston College wouldn't pack their arena if they were number 1 and playing Merrimack? Definitely. Michigan would pack Yost if they were 1 and playing Bowling Green. Cornell would pack Lynah if they were 1 and playing Brown. Hell, Air Force packs their arena when they play ****ing Canisius. The fact that Denver doesn't pack their arena when they're number 1 is pathetic, plain and simple. There are NO EXCUSES for that.
                        I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I also think the demographics are different. Denver is a private school in a state that has two major public universities, both of whom probably draw more casual fan interest for sports such as basketball. Since 1995 the city has had the Avalanche, a team that immediately contended for and won Stanley Cups and probably attracts a much greater following simply on the basis of being an NHL team. People have to choose how they spend their time and pocket money.

Cornell would fill their rink because it's smaller and one of the best options for entertainment in Ithaca, NY. Michigan and Boston College would pack Yost and Conte because they are Michigan and Boston College.

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Comment

Anyone know why Robinson made the start last night over Genoe.

If it was a hunch, it almost worked.

Probably Genoe tonight. Can we squeak out a victory without Olson.
                          I hope Royer is back.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

I hope Royer is back.
                            I asked Flashy Man that last night and he said:
                            Originally posted by Flashy Man over AIM
                            coach felt robo earned it after his play on saturday vs. und
                            Always a Wildcat...
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

I hope Royer is back.
                              In the postgame show, Jamie indicated he saw no reason why Robo wouldn't get the start again.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

After being mistakenly miscast by George Gwozdecky as a first and second line player through the entirety of his freshman and sophomore seasons, Brian Gifford was moved to spots on the third and fourth lines for Denver and has become a solid role player. He scored a goal in last night's game to boost his career scoring totals to 12-24-36. It's fair and accurate to say Gifford has been a complementary, rather than primary, source of scoring for Denver.

What's interesting to note is that of his twelve goals five have been game winners for the Pioneers, including the one he scored last night. It's heartening to see a senior get an important goal in what will be the final series he plays in Magness Arena in his college career. Nice job last night by the young man.

Comment

Working...
                                X