Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching change needed???

Originally posted by RJDJR View Post
    Anyone can play the smear game. Let's just try this purely hypothetical example:

I hate the idea of spreading rumors...but I have heard some ummm..."goofy" stories from a highly reputable source about some things that have happened at NiceIsIce's workplace over the past couple of seasons. I say reputable source, and yet I guess it's still third person. For that reason I don't feel comfortable going into detail, but if the stories I have heard are true then yes....NiceIsIce's employer should most certainly be taking a look at what's going on.

Se how easy it is!
    That was pretty clever, RJDJR! I wish I thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by irishbridie49 View Post
      That was pretty clever, RJDJR! I wish I thought of it.
      Didn't RMU lose an Olympic goaltender this year? I bet if you looked deep into their stats and games against even their conference opponents, the difference would be goaltending and a very young team. I see them making huge jumps in the next two years. I believe the first staff was a complete gong show and probably set them back a couple years anyway. To be let go after one year, you must be doing something pretty wrong. Their classes are getting better every year and I don't believe any players have left the program on their own, so retention is high and I just looked at their academics and they have a ton of players on the all-academic team. And put players on all conference teams every year. They can't be doing to much wrong when they look at that way.

Comment

Originally posted by guy View Post
        Their classes are getting better every year and I don't believe any players have left the program on their own, so retention is high .
        Their incoming class also includes the scoring leader from the PWHL. Not too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
          Their incoming class also includes the scoring leader from the PWHL. Not too shabby.
          That is the steal I was referring to in my earlier post......

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          I can tell you that one of the current RMU recruits is a real steal. She makes that program better in a hurry and will light up the lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            That is the steal I was referring to in my earlier post......
            Onmaa... my only question is...why is she a steal?

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
              This player had both the top end skills and top end smarts to play for virtually any program in the country. She was one of THE most coveted recruits.

So it surprised most that she would deliberately choose a low profile school, and with a struggling hockey program too.

Comment

This player had both the top end skills and top end smarts to play for virtually any program in the country. She was one of THE most coveted recruits.

So it surprised most that she would deliberately choose a low profile school, and with a struggling hockey program too.
                I know exactly who she is. My question is why?

Comment

Well she is a steal, since she is at the top end of her class. IMHO any program near the bottom end of the standings landing a player of that caliber is landing a steal.

This player had both the top end skills and top end smarts to play for virtually any program in the country. .....
                  I know exactly who she is. My question is why?
                  As far as wondering why she choose that program, that is really between her and the school she choose. None of our business.
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Maybe she chose it for the academics, maybe they have the best program in her chosen field. For women, with no professional hockey to follow their college careers, maybe chosing a school for their academics is the way to go.
                    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by FranchisePlayer View Post
                      So instead of going into detail, you do this instead? If you won't go into detail, then please think carefully about posting something like this. I know nothing about RMU, its hockey program, or even the name of their coach, and quite frankly I couldn't care less about them. But upon reading your post, it naturally makes me think that you are alluding to some sort of sexual misconduct. How many others are "filling in the blanks" with their own ideas of what it is you mean?

Please, that's not fair to the coach or to the players. If you have something to share, then share it. If not, then it's probably best to not say anything at all.
                      It really is pathetic that there seems to be only one rule in women’s collegiate athletics that coaches need to abide by when they’re jobs are being critiqued. This Golden Standard has nothing to do with hockey what so ever or their job performances, it’s simply do not have sexual relations of any sort with your players.

And this isn’t meant to knock college coaches because there definitely are a ton of great ones out there. But there are a handful of coaches that seem to be keeping their jobs solely because they’re keeping their pants on? Could we please start a discussion on what the terms would be for terminating a coach that would also be deemed appropriate by this forum?

I’m just getting fed up with a coaches’ termination becoming more seemingly accompanied by some scandal as a bare minimum for why they’re getting fired. Title 9 is great and all, but maybe excluding similar standards for critiquing coaching and team management for both men’s and women’s teams is still a huge flaw. Or the actual implementation of whatever standards or bylaws that do exist is probably more the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by guy View Post
                        Didn't RMU lose an Olympic goaltender this year? I bet if you looked deep into their stats and games against even their conference opponents, the difference would be goaltending and a very young team. I see them making huge jumps in the next two years. I believe the first staff was a complete gong show and probably set them back a couple years anyway. To be let go after one year, you must be doing something pretty wrong. Their classes are getting better every year and I don't believe any players have left the program on their own, so retention is high and I just looked at their academics and they have a ton of players on the all-academic team. And put players on all conference teams every year. They can't be doing to much wrong when they look at that way.
                        First off:
                        The previous staff were not terrible, they were actually far more liked than the current staff. They actually listened to the players needs and had a genuineness to them about the best interests of the school, program, and most importantly the players. Bottom line they were technically sound, and compassionate about the players, just young.

Biggest Point
                        Who recruited the programs Olympic Goalie
                        Who recruited the player that is going to the NCAA skills competition this year
                        Not the current staff.
                        Majority of their top players were not recruited by the current staff.
                        Good for them they got the leading scorer but in 3 years of recruiting this is what they have one player to speak for.

Just throwing it out there, maybe their record hasn't improved because the head coach doesn't treat his players with respect, and therefore by the end of the year they don't want to play for him. Girls are coached different than guys.

Look at this, all of their big wins came in the first month of play, while the season was still fresh and players did not hate it yet. Also you can't speak to transfer rate, because many players stay in bad situations because of the scholarship dollars.

Comment

Anyone have any opinions about the coaching staff at Vermont? It seems like they had a lot of talent this year, but only minor improvements in record...other Hockey East teams (with similar numbers of talented players) consistently played much better....

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan8811 View Post
                            Anyone have any opinions about the coaching staff at Vermont? It seems like they had a lot of talent this year, but only minor improvements in record...other Hockey East teams (with similar numbers of talented players) consistently played much better....
                            I recall there was much ado about the impressiveness of the credentials of the coach when he was brought in 3 (?) years ago, and how the changes signalled a much brighter future for Vermont.

I confess to not following that program a whole lot, but it really doesn't seem to me that much has changed there at all since that time--either in the performance of the program or in securing the kind of recruiting classes that would signal a dramatically different future still in the making. Granted, bringing in a top goalie for next season is a fine acquisition...but not a whole lot of progress in itself to show for 4 years work.

Certainly no comparison to what Seeley, Flanagan, Derraugh et al managed to accomplish in far less time.

Comment

On the D-III side, I just spotted this note in the Star Tribune in Minneapolis...

Augsburg women's hockey coach Jill Pohtilla resigned Monday.

Pohtilla, the only coach in the 15-year history of the program, had a 171-177-30 record with the Auggies. She is third among NCAA Division III women's hockey coaches in career victories and 20th among all college women's hockey coaches.
                              EDIT: Here's a link to the full press release from Augsburg College.
                              Last edited by CrazyDave; 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM.
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X