HE Quarterfinals: #8 Vermont @ #1 New Hampshire: "Spooning Since 1791"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HE Quarterfinals: #8 Vermont @ #1 New Hampshire: "Spooning Since 1791"

After a crazy finish, the 'Cats finally find out who they're playing: the Cats' (I think that's where the apostrophe goes).

UNH won the only game at the Gutt, 5-2, IIRC.

The two games at the Whit last month were two very odd games; UVM carried played much of the first game, and lost in OT 4-3. The second night, UNH flew around the ice in the first period, gained a 2 goal lead, then fell behind 3-2 before tying 3-3.

Should be a very interesting weekend at the Whit. Will the loss of Milo (for Vermont, dismissal) and more recently Kostalansky (for UNH, injury) play into this?

GAME ON.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Re: HE Quarterfinals: #8 Vermont @ #1 New Hampshire: "Spooning Since 1791"

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    Will the loss of Milo (for Vermont, dismissal) and more recently Kostalansky (for UNH, injury) play into this?

GAME ON.
    He was gone before the last 2 games, the only question is does Vermont get either Stacey or Frazon back?
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I actually liked the way uvm played a few weeks back at the whit because they were able to do what they do best which is control play and generate offense off the cycle and out of the corners. You can really set up a give and go out of the corners here a lot easier with the added width. All we can ask is if our Cat's are going to go down, they go down fighting hard.

Comment

I would like to hear a "We want jcarter" chant at the Whit on Friday.

Thanks.
        BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
        National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
        Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I am looking forward to this series. Should be good hockey. Madore is going to have to be really good for UVM to challenge. Still, UNH has had UVM's number going back quite a few years now.... UNH is 10-2-3 vs the Catamounts since UVM entered Hockey East and starting play in the 05-06 season. I like this. Should be a fun series!
          Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
          ECAC Tourney Champs 79
          Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
          Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
          Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
          NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
            I am looking forward to this series. Should be good hockey. Madore is going to have to be really good for UVM to challenge. Still, UNH has had UVM's number going back quite a few years now.... UNH is 10-2-3 vs the Catamounts since UVM entered Hockey East and starting play in the 05-06 season. I like this. Should be a fun series!
            UNH is 68-16-4 all time against UVM. UVM has beaten UNH once at the Whittemore Center in the last 13 years, on the last game of the 2008 regular season on the night after UNH had clinched the regular season title. The teams have never met in the playoffs, a fact that I think is compelling. You never know how teams will react after the emotional weekend they both had. UNH coming from three goals down to get the tie and clinch first place, UVM coming off the mat to get the W in their last game to salvage eighth place. The key to the series, I think, will be goaltending. Both goalies played well this past weekend, the one who better withstands the inevitable pressure they both will face is the one who will backstop his team to victory. Stating the obvious, but when a goalie makes a couple of key stops here and there to bail out his team, it has a tremendous impact. Should be fun.

Comment

If these two teams met at the Garden, I'd pick UVM for the upset.

At the Whit, I don't see them being able to slow down NH.

NH sweeps.
              BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
              -
              Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                UNH coming from three goals down to get the tie and clinch first place, UVM coming off the mat to get the W in their last game to salvage eighth place..... Should be fun.
                That would be coming off the mat to get the T. Or better yet, being up by a 1-0 score and letting the opposition get the T. Kind of like the last time they played UNH (Saturday game).

Hopefully Stacey will be able to go. Need someone to score or set up a play to allow someone to score. Did not see much of that this weekend.
                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                  That would be coming off the mat to get the T. Or better yet, being up by a 1-0 score and letting the opposition get the T. Kind of like the last time they played UNH (Saturday game).

Hopefully Stacey will be able to go. Need someone to score or set up a play to allow someone to score. Did not see much of that this weekend.
                  At the end of the night it had to feel like a W, just like UNH's tie on Friday

Comment

To be fair, uvms tie and 1 point weekend was really no better than a pair of L's

They needed 2 points to clinch a playoff spot. They did not get it done against a very mediocre uml squad.

They got in because bu got the job done and nu did not

I thought uvm had momentum going into the weekend but they squandered it somehow, now they have none and little to build on

I don't see any reason for an upset next weekend unless uvm somehow finds a cause to rally around

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post

They didn't let Lowell get anything. Lowell dominated the game from whistle to siren. Vermont's goal was a fluke that went completely against the flow of play. UVM spent the last 40 of that game clinging to the tie. Unfortunate that Lowell couldn't put another puck past Madore, who was fighting the puck all weekend. And by fighting I mean looked scared ****less.

Vermont was the beneficary of an awful 5 min. major/game misconduct to Lowell Captain Ben Holmstom six minutes into the game. Not to mention that the refs decided to put the whistles away right after that call and seemed perfectly ok with Vermont's numerous holds, hooks and a laughably obvious running the goaltender.

UNH sweeps, and it shouldn't even be close.
                      Last edited by Patronick; 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM.
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                        To be fair, uvms tie and 1 point weekend was really no better than a pair of L's

They needed 2 points to clinch a playoff spot. They did not get it done against a very mediocre uml squad.

They got in because bu got the job done and nu did not

I thought uvm had momentum going into the weekend but they squandered it somehow, now they have none and little to build on

I don't see any reason for an upset next weekend unless uvm somehow finds a cause to rally around
                        Vermont's in 8th place, barely snuck into the playoffs, just got their lunch handed to them by Lowell, and LOWELL is the mediocre squad. Makes perfect sense.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                          having a laugh.

Comment

That's right. Thanks for your feedback and confirmatio. Uml is mediocre this year. But probably better than they will be next year and maybe for a while. Get used to it.

Now back to the unh uvm series discussion.....

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                              Vermont's in 8th place, barely snuck into the playoffs, just got their lunch handed to them by Lowell, and LOWELL is the mediocre squad. Makes perfect sense.
                              Wine all you want but UML didnt achieve anything this weekend that Vermont didnt. Both made the playoffs and both are on the road.

And both could have only 2 games left.

But this was supposed to be UML's year.
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                              X