Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    As someone said, the Roof only holds 1,800. I don't think WBA is an option because last I knew, they don't have a court anymore. Got a new one for Agganis and got rid of the old one. This conversation doesn't really matter because UNH beating UVM would be a big upset and that doesn't even factor in that UNH is missing two players, one of them one of the best on the team.

I don't know how much you follow college basketball, but Dredrick's son, Kyrie, is the number 1 point guard recruit for next year and is going to Duke, and Shawn Teague's son, Marquis, is the number 1 point guard recruit for 2011, probably going to Louisville to play for Pitino.
    i don't follow at all.. .but Dredrick had one sweet shot. very smooth.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
      Time for my dream of seeing a Men's hockey game in Walter Brown
      Maybe you should have been born a few years earlier, ever think of that

Interesting conversation... Agganis is a tremendous building... but Walter Brown is a classic building. I'd rather go to games at WBA than Agganis.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        The wooden end seats at WBA add another 500-1000, iirc... Perfeect for 118-108. Currently, they're folded in. Idcl love to see this happen, but fear the smaller sheet would help that small college in hockey east.
        the ice is only 5 feet smaller iirc, so not much of a difference.

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        I'm pretty sure the game would be at Case. It was in 2002 AND 2003, so unless they changed the rules, I can't see how it can be at Agganis. I know they would rather have a packed gym instead of a cavernous, half-empty arena. I didn't know (and I'm not sure it is the case) about the "3000" rule. Certainly the games at Vermont's gym (of which there have been many) didn't feature 3000 fans. I will check with BU play-by-play man, Doug Brown, after this current game (if it is not a moot point by then, which it will be if Vermont wins).
        Patrick Gym at UVM holds 3,200+

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Ditto. I found this video a few months ago and even though it's BU beating BC, I couldn't help but think the atmosphere at that place must have been one of the best in the country.

Even at the women's games there, it gets freaking *loud* even with only about 5 of us chanting. The low metal ceiling does wonders.
        that was one of the five loudest sporting events I've ever been to. WBA and Yost are the two loudest hockey venues I've ever been to. You could put a boombox in Section 8 and it would sound like a full orchestra. Problem is the acoustics are SO bad that you can't make out what anyone is saying most of the time, but that tin roof is magical.
        time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
          ... Problem is the acoustics are SO bad that you can't make out what anyone is saying most of the time, but that tin roof is magical.
          which is why i had no idea "******* em up" was being said which killed the song until after the fact from sec 5

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Interesting conversation... Agganis is a tremendous building... but Walter Brown is a classic building. I'd rather go to games at WBA than Agganis.
            WBA was a great place to see a game, but the facility itself was subpar by HE standards. They're renovating it this offseason for the women's team because the boards suck and the ice is horrific. Agganis has proven to be a huge help in recruiting and the extra seats have been filled helping to increase revenues. It's sad, I love WBA and Section 8 was unlike anything, but Agganis has really helped to keep the program ahead of the standard.

Comment

Five feet does in fact make a difference. I remember reading that one reason for agganis was that bu would win on the 85 feet WBA sheet, then have troubles when it got to the 90 foot rink at other schools.

Also you have the shape of the rink... What are the corners like? I believe that WBA's corners are more square than agganis. So there worry for by should they play at WBA is that the ice is unfamiliar, essentially a neutral ice game
              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                Five feet does in fact make a difference. I remember reading that one reason for agganis was that bu would win on the 85 feet WBA sheet, then have troubles when it got to the 90 foot rink at other schools.

Also you have the shape of the rink... What are the corners like? I believe that WBA's corners are more square than agganis. So there worry for by should they play at WBA is that the ice is unfamiliar, essentially a neutral ice game
                True, but IIRC doesn't the team still practice there on occasion? Certianly if this were to happen, the decision would be made within 24 hours of the NH-VM game ending (btw, UNH's gym apparently holds 3,500..who knew) so if the game were to be moved, the team could practice there for the week. Hell, I'd just move the whole series if that was going to happen so it wouldn't be back and forth.

In reality, this is not going to happen at all. There's a better chance of winning the lottery.

Comment

Hey, they played the Measles Quarantine Game against Siena in front of nobody. (That was for the NCAA bid, too.) Maybe if we want home court we should encourage a little bacterialogical intervention . . .

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  wba was the home court for bu basket during my years (86-90). just like any other hockey rink they'd lay covering over the ice and build a court with a bullgang. we'd sit in the seats and watch ron moses, dredrick irving, russell jarvis, jeff timberlake, et al and do homework on the empty seats to our left AND right
                  Mook, were you there the night Coach Jarvis and NE's coach (Vogel?) went toe-to-toe? Ah, good times.
                  Bugs Bunny - 96
                  Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                    Just think Tony back then you were interested in going to BU, the outcome probably didnt bother you at the time.
                    It's funny you should say that. Back when I was growing up I would watch NESN Sportsdesk before getting on the bus to school, and I grew up loving the city of Boston. Whenever they should highlights of BC and BU, I would always be so conflicted, because I knew I couldn't just root for a 'good game.' I didn't follow college hockey at the time but I knew enough about sports rivalries to know that that is just not acceptable.

I think I ended up just being happy for whoever won.

I was interested in going to BU for a while though. Then I finally got my BC acceptance letter and financial aid package (which was gumming up the works) and that went out the window.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

If this game were at WBA I would seriously consider going as a casual fan and missing the BC game for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. What a great place that must be to watch a hockey game as far as atmosphere goes.

Plus Conte sucks, I wouldn't feel too bad about missing my last home game as a student. I would just celebrate Friday accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                        Hey, they played the Measles Quarantine Game against Siena in front of nobody. (That was for the NCAA bid, too.) Maybe if we want home court we should encourage a little bacterialogical intervention . . .

Mook, were you there the night Coach Jarvis and NE's coach (Vogel?) went toe-to-toe? Ah, good times.
                        Great word. Was the NU coach Calhoun or was that after '86?

Comment

Oh, but it's a really fun game to play.

And while you are right that Sessme Street Live warrants a trip cross babcock, I wonder how much they tested the boards, or did corner drills. I doubt they did much more than laps and open ice drills. I haven't watched them much there and don't know how many practices they've had there this year.
                          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

I realize this is a stupid idea to begin with, but why not have the BU game featured as part of a doubleheader at Conte? That would get butts in the seats to both games.

Comment

uvm up 4 at halftime (24-20. wooo! burning the nets!! )

i remember this happening.

this, i don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                I realize this is a stupid idea to begin with, but why not have the BU game featured as part of a doubleheader at Conte? That would get butts in the seats to both games.
                                uh, isn't it supposed to be above 45 degrees next weekend?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X