Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I'm just lurking but I'm actually pretty enthralled by this conversation. Interesting stuff.
    The very mention of hockey @ Walter Brown has me interested... even though I was the first one that mentioned it.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

All made more interesting by the fact that WBA was supposed to close Friday for renovations. Not sure if they've actually started working yet -- I'm guessing they were planning on starting on Monday.
      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
        The very mention of hockey @ Walter Brown has me interested
        Ditto. I found this video a few months ago and even though it's BU beating BC, I couldn't help but think the atmosphere at that place must have been one of the best in the country.

Even at the women's games there, it gets freaking *loud* even with only about 5 of us chanting. The low metal ceiling does wonders.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/alSvaF1hpqs&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/alSvaF1hpqs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA didn't notice it the first time, but at 2:09 you see a bu fan flipping off the BC players.
        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Didn't see the whock game. But from the box score, it should def be watched!
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
            does wba have a basketball court at all? Edit: Per BU website they've hosted bball in there before... really though, I know we don't like our basketball team as much as our hockey team, but putting them in a makeshift place where they haven't played all season for their conference CHAMPIONSHIP... I don't know about that.

Case is listed as 1800, could you really get 1200 extra?
            wba was the home court for bu basket during my years (86-90). just like any other hockey rink they'd lay covering over the ice and build a court with a bullgang. we'd sit in the seats and watch ron moses, dredrick irving, russell jarvis, jeff timberlake, et al and do homework on the empty seats to our left AND right
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: WBA. They can't renovate; whock needs to practice. Mhock at WBA would not surprise because of the really low expected turnout during the break.
              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Does bu have the thurs-sat qf? If so, there is a way bu could - ahem - sweep all the speculation aside. Cue scarlet in 3...2...1....

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                  Does bu have the thurs-sat qf? If so, there is a way bu could - ahem - sweep all the speculation aside. Cue scarlet in 3...2...1....
                  No Thurs-Sat series this year. I'm really intrigued by this conversation. Trying to get an answer as I type. I'd love for men's hockey to be moved to WBA for a night. They never draw that much for these QF games anyway.

Edit: I should have an answer once the UVM-UNH game is over. Of course, if UVM wins, it's a moot conversation.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Re: WBA. They can't renovate; whock needs to practice. Mhock at WBA would not surprise because of the really low expected turnout during the break.
                    That's what I'm hoping...

I thought somebody on another thread said HE no longer does thur-sat qfs... they didn't last year at least.

Honestly, the basketball program is trying to do better, Chambers is trying to recruit better players.. one of the draws has been more games in the world class facility that is Agganis, and now you're going to tell them they made the conference final, and (if this happens) did well enough to host it, and they don't get to play there because the barely above .500 hockey team is hosting a quarterfinal? Talk about the short end of the stick.

Last years QF attendance:
                    3825, 4094, 3642

WBA listed as 3806... now clearly you'd get some more people because it's in Walter Brown but it wouldn't be too unreasonable to do it. They could even raise the ticket prices to make up for it if they thought they were losing seats, haven't we always said the problem with a throwback WBA game is too many people would want to go?
                    Last edited by quiddlet; 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM.
                    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Ditto. I found this video a few months ago and even though it's BU beating BC, I couldn't help but think the atmosphere at that place must have been one of the best in the country.

Even at the women's games there, it gets freaking *loud* even with only about 5 of us chanting. The low metal ceiling does wonders.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/alSvaF1hpqs&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/alSvaF1hpqs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA didn't notice it the first time, but at 2:09 you see a bu fan flipping off the BC players.
                      Cant believe its been 5+ years since Bourque left was shocked when I heard his name.

I miss Zancannaro (and Vander Gulik)

Kaltinenean (sp) didnt look very good wonder what BC guys thought of him.

Just think Tony back then you were interested in going to BU, the outcome probably didnt bother you at the time.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        wba holds 3k. heck, you could get 3k in case.
                        As someone said, the Roof only holds 1,800. I don't think WBA is an option because last I knew, they don't have a court anymore. Got a new one for Agganis and got rid of the old one. This conversation doesn't really matter because UNH beating UVM would be a big upset and that doesn't even factor in that UNH is missing two players, one of them one of the best on the team.

I don't know how much you follow college basketball, but Dredrick's son, Kyrie, is the number 1 point guard recruit for next year and is going to Duke, and Shawn Teague's son, Marquis, is the number 1 point guard recruit for 2011, probably going to Louisville to play for Pitino.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          wba was the home court for bu basket during my years (86-90). just like any other hockey rink they'd lay covering over the ice and build a court with a bullgang. we'd sit in the seats and watch ron moses, dredrick irving, russell jarvis, jeff timberlake, et al and do homework on the empty seats to our left AND right
                          I'm pretty sure the game would be at Case. It was in 2002 AND 2003, so unless they changed the rules, I can't see how it can be at Agganis. I know they would rather have a packed gym instead of a cavernous, half-empty arena. I didn't know (and I'm not sure it is the case) about the "3000" rule. Certainly the games at Vermont's gym (of which there have been many) didn't feature 3000 fans. I will check with BU play-by-play man, Doug Brown, after this current game (if it is not a moot point by then, which it will be if Vermont wins).

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                            Not a question of wanting it at Agganis - it has to be at Agganis. AE conference rules say the championship game has to be held in an arena holding at least 3,000 people. Of course if we can't do it, UNH would get to host.
                            Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the game would be at Case. It was in 2002 AND 2003, so unless they changed the rules, I can't see how it can be at Agganis. I know they would rather have a packed gym instead of a cavernous, half-empty arena. I didn't know (and I'm not sure it is the case) about the "3000" rule. Certainly the games at Vermont's gym (of which there have been many) didn't feature 3000 fans. I will check with BU play-by-play man, Doug Brown, after this current game (if it is not a moot point by then, which it will be if Vermont wins).
                            If the 3,000 seat rule is in effect, I think UNH would have to host at the Whitt (pretty sure the Fieldhouse doesn't hold 3,000). Of course, that doesn't solve any problems as they're also hosting men's playoff hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              The rule is a new rule. It has come up in recent conversation because Stony Brook starting renovating their arena and were playing in a gym that held less than 1,000 people. As the number 1 seed, they were most likely to host the game and they started getting a little scared. The game will not be at the Roof.

Comment

The wooden end seats at WBA add another 500-1000, iirc... Perfeect for 118-108. Currently, they're folded in. Idcl love to see this happen, but fear the smaller sheet would help that small college in hockey east.

Comment

Working...
                                X