Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

If Shatt and CC leave the squad will be thin on D as well.
    Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
      Any guesses as to what the line up will look like next year? I know it's early but with the likely losses of Bonino, Shatt, and Colby Cohen the roster is looking pretty thin. Warsofsky will be the likely leader but will they be hungry?
      I'll bite...

Connolly - Trivino - Vinny Saponari
      Chiasson - Megan - Nieto
      Pereira - Gaudet - Santana
      Ruikka - Coyle - Cisse
      Glass, Gilroy, Courtnall, Victor Saponari

Warsofsky - Nicastro
      Escobedo - Clendening
      Rosen - ???

The forward group could look worse, especially if Nieto plays well. I love that third line. The fourth line could really be any combination of those last seven guys; just went with Ruikka, Coyle and Cisse because, well I want to see them play I guess.

Of course, that assumes Cisse does come next year, and Ruikka's healthy.

The top 4 on defense should be pretty solid, though not quite as strong as the last two years. Rosen needs to take a step forward, but either way, it's a numbers game for BU on the D-man recruiting front right now, especially if both Shattenkirk and C. Cohen leave.
      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

What do you guys think hurt more: losing Quinn or Wilson and Strait.
        Quinn. In 07-08 and 08-09 for the first time in years the center wasn't behind our own goal line on every possession, and the defensemen could carry the puck up 1/2 or 2/3 of the ice on most offensive possessions. Leaving the forwards to focus on the offensive zone, and have the energy they needed to crash the net and cycle for prolonged periods of time.

Hope he moves into Parker's office within 10 minutes of their being a vacancy there.

If Shatt and CC leave the squad will be thin on D as well.
        Understatement of the thread. Assuming Clendening comes Ruikka would be the 6th D, if he chooses the major junior route we will be down to 5 D

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
          I'll bite...

Chiasson - Megan - Nieto
          Ruikka - Coyle - Cisse

Warsofsky - Nicastro
          Escobedo - Clendening
          Rosen - ???

The forward group could look worse, especially if Nieto plays well. I love that third line. The fourth line could really be any combination of those last seven guys; just went with Ruikka, Coyle and Cisse because, well I want to see them play I guess.

Of course, that assumes Cisse does come next year, and Ruikka's healthy.

The top 4 on defense should be pretty solid, though not quite as strong as the last two years. Rosen needs to take a step forward, but either way, it's a numbers game for BU on the D-man recruiting front right now, especially if both Shattenkirk and C. Cohen leave.
          A couple of thoughts:

Ruikka is a D-Man, I believe. I don't know if he can play forward, also.

I'd hope Coyle and Cisse are better than 4th line players. I'd hate to think otherwise.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            I'd hope Coyle and Cisse are better than 4th line players. I'd hate to think otherwise.
            Yeah, IMO the question "where are the extra goals going to come from next year" has two possible answers "Coyle and Nieto" or "nowhere."

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Yeah, IMO the question "where are the extra goals going to come from next year" has two possible answers "Coyle and Nieto" or "nowhere."
              Don't forget about Sahir Gill coming next year as well to join the forward corps.

Comment

Whoops on Ruikka and Gill. For whatever reason, had Ruikka as a forward in my mind and just forgot to double check. Then just forgot to add Gill to the list.

Not sure what happens with the third and fourth lines, but I'm not sure I see the top two lines unfolding any differently. Maybe some combination of the new freshies and Glass/Gilroy et al will make up a third line with that Gaudet group on the fourth line. My guess is it'll be something like that, though.
                Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

So forgetting my stupidities from above...

Chiasson - Megan - Nieto
                  Gill - Coyle - Cisse

Warsofsky - Nicastro
                  Escobedo - Clendening
                  Rosen - Ruikka
                  Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                    Don't forget about Sahir Gill coming next year as well to join the forward corps.
                    He should be solid, however he isn't leading goal scorer on the U18's or likely first round pick solid, like the other two.

And don't write BU back off into the early 2000's doldrums just yet, take away any team's first line center with 3 weeks before the playoffs and see what happens. Imagine playing BC in last year's semi's, or any NCAA game after OSU without #33

However, after seeing BU Hammer's projected lines post I think a "Don't go just yet Kevin and/or Colby" banner somewhere on campus may be a necessity.

Comment

Chiasson - Megan - Nieto
                      Gill - Coyle - Cisse

Warsofsky - Nicastro
                      Escobedo - Clendening
                      Rosen - Ruikka
                      Not sure I like Santana on the 3rd line with those two. He's more of a grinder, and I feel hed have trouble keeping up with Joe and Ross. Maybe a quicker freshman or even Andy Glass if he shows some more improvement.
                      time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                        Not sure I like Santana on the 3rd line with those two. He's more of a grinder, and I feel hed have trouble keeping up with Joe and Ross. Maybe a quicker freshman or even Andy Glass if he shows some more improvement.
                        I actually love the speed on that line –– Santana is plenty quick enough to hang with Pereira and Gaudet. The three of them were the best pure "hustle" players for BU this year.
                        Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          certainly an early candidate for "mr obvious" statement.

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                          Not sure I like Santana on the 3rd line with those two. He's more of a grinder,....
                          i would describe Vincent like this. his goals come off hard work in tight (on the backhand ). until he shows us continually that he can fire the puck and hit the goalie [let alone the back of the net], he is not a 1st line winger on a team that wins titles.

--it is going to take a big leap for one or two of these incoming freshmen to score and prove to Jack that they can play the defense he demands. because honestly there is not the shooting, sniping, flashy, goal scoring talent up front to staff a 1st line for a top tier hockey team.

(returning goal scorers)
                          crisco 20
                          vincent 20
                          joe p 12
                          chaisson 7
                          trivino 10
                          gaudet 10
                          megan 5
                          gilroy 3
                          glass 3

..and vincent, joey, and chaisson i think have scored all those goals banging rebounds or stuffing short loose pucks in from 0-10 feet out. crisco is perhaps the only shot up front, and he was gone 10-10 in 81 career games.

people had better started working hard yesterday.

(channeling bomber:

08-09 BU Hockey: Burn The Boats
                          09-10 BU Hockey: Burn The Tapes)
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Chiasson - Megan - Nieto
                            Gill - Coyle - Cisse

Warsofsky - Nicastro
                            Escobedo - Clendening
                            Rosen - Ruikka
                            Coyle will be higher than the 4th line right from the get-go. My guess:

Connolly - Trivino - Saponari
                            Chiasson - Megan - Coyle
                            Nieto - Gaudet - Pereira
                            Gill/Glass - Gilroy - Cisse/Santana

Warsofsky - Cohen
                            Escobedo - Nicastro
                            Rosen/Ruikka - Clendening

If Cohen leaves, bump Nicastro and Clendening up a rung and move Ruikka to the right side. If Clendening doesn't come, too, bump Ruikka up and pair Walk-On with Rosen.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Unfortunately, my low expectations for this season's team was on target. I felt they lost too much talent and would have too much of a celebratory hangover to really go far this year. I dreaded a season ending defeat at the hands of the Iggles so I guess reviving Tim Whitehead's career isn't half bad. I've been waiting for awhile to post about next season's recruits and college recruiting in general but wanted to wait for a decent interval after we buried the corpse. Thought I'd go on the BU recruiting thread but all the chatter is on this thread so here I am. First , with the loss of Bonino ( boy was I praying he'd stay) and the imminent departure of Shattenkirk ( and maybe C. Cohen, about whom I have very mixed feelings) does Parker have an extra scholarship or two to play with at this late date? Are they all accounted for? There appear to be one or two quality D-men out there ( at least according to Heisenberg) though I don't know if they're Junior A or collegiate material. Second,has anyone else noticed the change in player development in this country? We all know Mass schoolboy hockey ain't what it used to be ( and BC seems to have a competitive edge over our Terriers for most of the high-end locals) but what's going on in the rest of the country? Take a look at the invites to to NTDP evaluation camp. 12 of 47 come from ILLINOIS! Not Minnesota, not Michigan, and certainly not Massachusetts. What gives? Have I been asleep? Michigan has six, Minnesota, New York and Massachusetts five each. BTW, between BC and BU, they've already earned commits from three of the locals. IIRC, isn't Zach Cohen from Illinois? Anyone else? Does this mean the center of the college hockey universe is changing? I hope Jackie P and minions are planning to spend a little time in the Land of Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                                ...... -- I hope Jackie P and minions are planning to spend a little time in the Land of Lincoln.
                                i recall now when Buddy was hired and i wondered out loud what he would contribute as an assistant coach only a handful of years younger than Jack??? I was told he had connections in CA (not the state ) to go and farm.

well......?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X