Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
    So there is a fairly good chance that next year's senior class could be Pereira, Victor Saponari, and Kraus?
    Kraus was redshirted IIRC

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Good luck to Nick, the real Most Outstanding Player of last year's Frozen Four.

I loved the way the kid played. Worked hard on his shortcomings, and very rarely gave us a truly poor game. Unfortunately I think he went out with one of his worse efforts but, unlike his classmate #25, I'll never doubt the effort and heart he put into being a member of this team. If he's healthy this whole season, I feel like not only are his numbers better, the entire team is better.

I will proudly add a #13 jersey to my 33 jersey and fondly remember the kid who scored the greatest goal I've ever seen in person. (97 made the perfect play to set him up, but we should never forget the shot he drilled there).
      I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Nick was the first Terrier since Drury to get over 100 pts and average better than 1pt/g for his career. Congrats and good luck.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Millan and Muse are a wash when they're on their game and BU has some name guys on defense (but BC had the best team d in the league). You can't tell me there isn't a talent gap up front between the two teams. BC has a clear edge.
          BC does seem to have the edge for sure, but when BU actually came to play head to head they were able to hold off BC and each game was quite competitive. I think most on here would maintain that if BU had even a little bit more consistent, they would have made the NCAAs and made some noise there, but it is clear to me that this team didn't have the talent overall to come close to repeating.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
            BC does seem to have the edge for sure, but when BU actually came to play head to head they were able to hold off BC and each game was quite competitive. I think most on here would maintain that if BU had even a little bit more consistent, they would have made the NCAAs and made some noise there, but it is clear to me that this team didn't have the talent overall to come close to repeating.
            The real problem was that this team wasn't deep. It had that nice 9-3 run after New Years, but was just 5-5 after Trivino got hurt. Who knows what would have happened if that hadn't happened, but that 9-10-11 line was playing great hockey. Nothing seemed to gel when he was out.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
              The real problem was that this team wasn't deep. It had that nice 9-3 run after New Years, but was just 5-5 after Trivino got hurt. Who knows what would have happened if that hadn't happened, but that 9-10-11 line was playing great hockey. Nothing seemed to gel when he was out.
              Well if Bonino is the only forward departing early and Cisse comes next year despite his injury, we'll have 3 reserve forwards. Still a ton of young guys. The situation on defense will be much thinner.
              Boston University 2009 Champs
              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by 3hock View Post
                The name on the back of the jersey seemed to be more important then the name on the front.... That is the difference between BU and BC this year, not talent or coaching....
                That has been the problem for most of the teams for the last decade. I would disagree and say that is an issue with the coaching.

Right again on Bonino I see.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                  Well if Bonino is the only forward departing early and Cisse comes next year despite his injury, we'll have 3 reserve forwards. Still a ton of young guys. The situation on defense will be much thinner.
                  could have 30 reserve forwards... if we don't have 3-4 1st line caliber, and 3-4 2nd line caliber, with 3-4 3rd line caliber, etc --- we'll be looking at roughly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                    Going to disagree but more on a technicality. I think everybody who was regularly in the lineup proved they could play at the D-1 college level (thinking specifically of the freshie D-men, Santana, Courtnall, Megan, Chiasson).

The problem, especially after Trivino went down, was that BU didn't have that go-to top scoring unit with the talent to score even on a down night. That Trivino line was great defensively, and it was freeing up Bonino's line to go ahead and play offense, which was working well, but still couldn't compete with a lot of HE's best top scoring lines.

All that said, count me among those agreeing with 3hock about the whole, "name on the back" deal.

I think I should have known the team was in trouble during the first couple weeks, when I'd ask the same question of both Parker and the players, and the player's answers would often be amazingly different than what Parker was saying.

There was just something strangely off about the team's mental state from the get-go.
                    Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

How can you watch BC this year and then look at BU and say it was just coaching?

There was a vast talent disparity between the two teams, especially at forward. BC's third line would rival our first.

Maybe that's coaching philosophy and our talent is closer to BC's...but it sure doesn't feel like it. It seemed like every time a BC player had a one on one to enter the offensive zone they got it done. BU couldn't enter the zone against Maine with any sort of ease on Friday.

BC had the speed, the playmaking, from three lines. We barely had one line that could do that.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                        How can you watch BC this year and then look at BU and say it was just coaching?

There was a vast talent disparity between the two teams, especially at forward. BC's third line would rival our first.

Maybe that's coaching philosophy and our talent is closer to BC's...but it sure doesn't feel like it. It seemed like every time a BC player had a one on one to enter the offensive zone they got it done. BU couldn't enter the zone against Maine with any sort of ease on Friday.

BC had the speed, the playmaking, from three lines. We barely had one line that could do that.
                        BU could skate with BC when those two played. The only team BU couldn't skate with this season was UNH, and those 2 losses against UNH were 2 of those "We didn't show up, we weren't ready to play" games. The talent was there; the effort wasn't.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          BU could skate with BC when those two played. The only team BU couldn't skate with this season was UNH, and those 2 losses against UNH were 2 of those "We didn't show up, we weren't ready to play" games. The talent was there; the effort wasn't.
                          BU got up for BC, fine. But when you watch BC playing at their best can you really honestly say BU at their best wouldn't have been blown out of the building?

I'm not really sure the talent was there. Maybe enough talent to make the tourney but not enough to make any sort of noise. I think BC's third line was about equal to our first line. How can you not say there wasn't a disparity in talent?

Comment

TBA.. Maine seemd to hang pretty tough last night (along with their 2nd or 3rd string goalie).. was their talent up there with BC s?
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              TBA.. Maine seemd to hang pretty tough last night (along with their 2nd or 3rd string goalie).. was their talent up there with BC s?
                              It's not over the course of one game, but over the course of a season. Also BC could have and should have scored 5 goals in the first period against Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                ah, last year's team played these aforementioned UNB team and beat them 4-1 a week before opening our eyes vs the sioux and sparty.

at no point last year did i feel that they needed an excuse. an, "hey, it's only an exhibition game." or "they haven't even practiced yet".

at every point last year i expected them to score when they needed to. late when behind. early when tied.

at some points last year players took stupid penalties, sure. at no point was it one of the captains in the final minutes with a one goal lead.

luckily, for us and some of them, we know how things go when the team is serious and plays with a purpose from day 1. we also know how things go when teams treat games as "exhibitions" and will 'work on things later'.

will i change my tune after a run of BU 4-1 v USNDT, BU 5-1 @UMass, BU 4-2 v Notre Dame, & BU 4-3 v UMich?!?! yep.

but i'm too old. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice...

(and that's pretty cool that our boys also knocked off the Canadian National Champions too )
                                Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                i'll channel Bomber...

BU Hockey: Not your father's terriers (er, even your recently graduated brother's terriers)

......tonight was probably both the best and worst outcome imaginable.-----

-i thought the defense had a strong game. i liked all three freshmen. rosen had that "i'm gonna hip check you, oh-wait, i'll just skate under you and steal the puck and turn up ice" move that was beautiful. not big (though playing with eric that may alter perspectives a bit). nicastro though does look big out there. poised. escobedo had one iffy moment, but played strong every other minute. i could live with these six (i would seriously consider playing ccohen at fwd).

-trivino is gonna score 20 this year. he grew. stronger on the skates. more confident. lot to like.

-big game by megan. liked everything i saw.

-other freshman forwards played well.

-nice to see bulldog is the same old bulldog.

-----however.....

-the final 40 faceoffs went 31-9 in favor of the X-men.

-there is no way that any of matt/mccarthy/strait take a hooking minor at center ice with a 2-1 lead and 2 minutes left.

-kgilroy has to be ready. too many missed chances when the chance was there.

-skill level isn't what it was (though they may think otherwise). yes there were 100 sog, but all of them were in the goalies belly.

-crisco needs to make a pass as though he wants it to get to the person he is intending it reach. i lost count of all the times he half-azzed a pass that was able to be deflected or stolen or knocked away. lazy.

-too many "employee #6 all star" passes.

-where's popko?!?!

-and WHO IN THE HELL TAKES A CENTER ICE HOOKING PENALTY WITH TWO MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME HOLDING A ONE GOAL LEAD?!?!?!?!

-----------------HAA.........

-anyone order nachos?!?! there were seriously 15 chips in each bowl. i laughed and ask the girl if that was a 'small'. she giggled an embarrassed laugh and dumped another bowl in my tray. it was still well less that the usual amount you've come to expect.

-nice to see students there while the school is obviously on break... since the back end food stands were closed .

-we replaced the ice cream next to the men's room corner with a beer stand???

-and the early renewal list is somewhat incomplete. my name was missing. the girl gave me a slip with email instructions...OFF OF A STACK OF NEAR 100 SIMILAR SLIPS. (gee, did someone realize a f'up was occurring??)

we know that we can tie a team of big, under talented, overaged canadians. tonight merrimack college and the university of maine-orono sleep well.

i don't exactly have a good feeling about the 09-10 season.
                                ----went and found my thoughts after the first exhib. nostramookie

Comment

Working...
                                X