Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I'm sorry....did you just take the word of Hokydad as gospel truth?? Really???? That's just......yeah. OK. Hmmmmm.
    Ha, I should certainly know better, but it wouldn't surprise me with this particular kid.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Ha, I should certainly know better, but it wouldn't surprise me with this particular kid.
      Me either, but I certainly wouldn't credit someone like Hokydad with coming up with the news. There are several of us who have better sources.

Comment

gallery added to recap - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/03/19/me-bu.php

(captions will be added tomorrow)

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
        HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
        HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          You and your buddies' repeated trashing, belittling and blasting college players, including kids on your own team, over at your Eagle Action cess pool proves that you don't have a clue about college hockey.
          Now you sound like Hokiedope.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
            Was Nicastro limited due to his arm?

By the way, I liked the analysis of the 5-on-3 on the blog. Another thing I've been thinking about over the course of the season is the repeated statement that BU is the leader, or among the leaders, in short handed goals, so it's not so bad we had so many penalties. USCHO doesn't have a comprehensive team stats page (I don't think), so I can't look that up, but what I've been arguing is essentially "of course we lead the nation in shorties, we spend most of the game on the penalty kill." It'd be a lot of work, and may not be of any interest to anyone else, but I personally would be interested in seeing some type of short handed goals/penalty minute ratio. I think that's the best way to truly measure short handed goals.
            Actually wasn't too hard -- just got PM's and short-handers from HockeyEastOnline...

In HE play, BU was second in shorties per PM with .013 SH/PM (5 shorties, 398 minutes), trailing only UNH at .025 (6 SH, 238 PM). After that is BC with .009 (3/318), Maine at .009 (4/427), UMass at .005 (2/366), Northeastern at .005 (2/341), and Vermont with .003 (1/341). Merrimack, Providence, and UML did not score shorthanded in HE play.

Basically, what that tells us, is that you really can't put anything into "Well we can get take more penalties because we can score short-handed," or anything like that.

If you look at it as, "Scoring one shorty nullifies one goal let in," then BU's PK in HE play jumps from 78.2% to 81.4%, which is something. Still isn't as good as Providence's 83.7% mark though, and they didn't get any shorties.
            Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
              Had some people asking at various points this year about the BU 5-on-3s, so I sat down this afternoon and scoured over the BU boxscores from this season and calculated the team's 5-on-3 conversion rates. There's a post on the blog in my signature where you can read about just how bad (and oh boy, was it bad) the BU 2-man-up unit was.

The blog entry should be below the live blog for tonight's HE finals, [shamelessplug]which you are obviously all welcome to follow along to tonight starting at 7 p.m.[/shamelessplug]
              You beat me to it. I'd planned on researching the 5 on 3 "efficiency" this coming week. By my observation, not only was BU unproductive with the 2 man advantage, it was usually a harbinger of doom once the second penalty was over (opponents scoring within 3 - 5 minutes).
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                You beat me to it. I'd planned on researching the 5 on 3 "efficiency" this coming week. By my observation, not only was BU unproductive with the 2 man advantage, it was usually a harbinger of doom once the second penalty was over (opponents scoring within 3 - 5 minutes).
                You'd have to look into that yourself, although there were at least a few times I saw BU scored after the 5-on-3 was over, but while still on the PP. Maybe 2 or 3 additional goals of that nature, something like that.
                Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

I don't think #6, by himself, would be an optimal choice as captain. Sure he always works hard, but he seems to try to be the friend of everyone on the team, reminds me of McGuirk in that regard. And while he skates his arse off, nothing that I have seen indicates he would get in the face of someone who wasn't doing the same themselves.

I would definitely support a cocaptaincy with him and #5. Who when the players were meeting with their families and friends after QF game 2 didn't seem to say a word, except when 3 players were talking amongst themselves and laughing he told them there was nothing to be laughing about and then left the room.

A little good cop/bad cop between the two of them, a la Gilroy/McCarthy and Zancanaro/Vandergulik would be my desired result. Maybe an A for 12 also.

Also thanks to all the players leaving for all they have done during their years in Boston. I just hope 25 doesn't also end up going, the team would be seriously undermanned on D if that happens. Maybe the coaches would try converting Kilroy back to D, it worked the first time.

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                  Had some people asking at various points this year about the BU 5-on-3s, so I sat down this afternoon and scoured over the BU boxscores from this season and calculated the team's 5-on-3 conversion rates. There's a post on the blog in my signature where you can read about just how bad (and oh boy, was it bad) the BU 2-man-up unit was.
                  Good stuff. However the ridiculously small times for some of these PP's just reconfirms my belief that with the status of technology nowadays PP's should be graded in goals per 2 min of penalty time, not conversion percentage.
                  Last edited by Agganis; 03-20-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Question for anyone still out there: if the 2 uvm-bu games at the gut went to bu would we have gotten the last at large bid?
                    Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Question for you all - if BU went out the way Maine went out tonight, would you all be as disappointed? I know I wouldn't be. Maine played great and stayed with BC the whole game. It was a great game and a shame someone had to lose it. I wish the BU-Maine game had been like that.

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                        Question for anyone still out there: if the 2 uvm-bu games at the gut went to bu would we have gotten the last at large bid?
                        Prob not..my guess is UMD or Ferris....UMD would move up with that loss to UVM dropping UVM down. BU would also but too many teams to jump over.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Question for you all - if BU went out the way Maine went out tonight, would you all be as disappointed? I know I wouldn't be. Maine played great and stayed with BC the whole game. It was a great game and a shame someone had to lose it. I wish the BU-Maine game had been like that.
                          Probably but I, like many others, came to grips with the fact that this team would come up short either way. That was a great hockey game tonight no matter who you support.
                          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer
                            Not that anybody here was doubting 3hock, but just got official word from the team that Bonino is in Anaheim, will sign with the Ducks and forego his senior season.
                            So there is a fairly good chance that next year's senior class could be Pereira, Victor Saponari, and Kraus?
                            "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Bonino expected to sign with Ducks
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Sorry Nick, while you're with that organization, I can't root for you to do well. Especially if you're up with the big club.

Here's to hoping you get traded soon!
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X