Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

I was at the game for the first two periods last night and then watched the third from a bar. Is it me, or did Shattenkirk and Cohen play over 30 minutes? I hardly saw Nicastro and not too much more of Escobedo. Does anyone have any actual figures on how much ice time #3 and #25 had? I can't imagine Warsofsky and Gryba were too far behind.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
      I was at the game for the first two periods last night and then watched the third from a bar. Is it me, or did Shattenkirk and Cohen play over 30 minutes? I hardly saw Nicastro and not too much more of Escobedo. Does anyone have any actual figures on how much ice time #3 and #25 had? I can't imagine Warsofsky and Gryba were too far behind.
      At the end of the second, Shattenkirk had about 21 minutes, Gryba 19, Cohen 18 and Warso 17, if I'm remembering correctly. Nicastro played three shifts in the first then didn't play again, and Escobedo probably only had 8-10 shifts the whole game.
      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
        This comment proves you don't have a clue about hockey or what you're talking about.
        You and your buddies' repeated trashing, belittling and blasting college players, including kids on your own team, over at your Eagle Action cess pool proves that you don't have a clue about college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
          Seemed like it was those top two D-lines 90% of the time. Nicastro HAS to be given a pass though. After I saw what happened to him only a week ago tonight and then to play is amazing. He's very tough and deserves a ton of credit for giving it a go.

He went down in the corner in the second with a Maine player and then skated off favoring his arm. I think that was pretty much it for him.

He'll be a good one next year.
          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
            At the end of the second, Shattenkirk had about 21 minutes, Gryba 19, Cohen 18 and Warso 17, if I'm remembering correctly. Nicastro played three shifts in the first then didn't play again, and Escobedo probably only had 8-10 shifts the whole game.
            Was Nicastro limited due to his arm?

By the way, I liked the analysis of the 5-on-3 on the blog. Another thing I've been thinking about over the course of the season is the repeated statement that BU is the leader, or among the leaders, in short handed goals, so it's not so bad we had so many penalties. USCHO doesn't have a comprehensive team stats page (I don't think), so I can't look that up, but what I've been arguing is essentially "of course we lead the nation in shorties, we spend most of the game on the penalty kill." It'd be a lot of work, and may not be of any interest to anyone else, but I personally would be interested in seeing some type of short handed goals/penalty minute ratio. I think that's the best way to truly measure short handed goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Beantownhitter View Post
              3hock,

Your posts have alwys been spot on, and this one is no exception. Team chemistry is a very fragile thing, and this year's was a bit off. It wasn't the talent, though a lot of talent left after last year's NC run. And it's a bit too convenient to always blame the coaching when the final results aren't what we'd like. Successful teams play for the name on the front of the jersey, and the players commit to their teammates unselfishly. Parker has often talked about wanting and needing more "BU guys" on the team. This year's squad was a few short.
              I agree. I'm not going to single any specific players out, but I think we need some fresh leadership next season, similar to 08-09 who lead these guys by being "BU hockey players" was the term used. I think #6 fits this role perfectly as someone who leaves everything he's got out on the ice every time and is willing to go to bat for anyone on his bench. Someone who leads by the example of, we're down 3-1 in the 3rd, and I'm busting my *** because this game's not over, why aren't you? Or, we're leading 3-1 in the 3rd and I'm busting my *** because this game's not over, why aren't you? Perhaps pair him with a "skill player" captain, a la #97, #3, maybe #5, who can lead by example with his accomplishments.

These guys underperformed a bit this year in terms of the amount of talent on the squad. They weren't a FF caliber team, but were a couple of *** games away from not needing to win the HET to get to the NCAAs. There was complacency, lack of effort, an mental lapses at times that ultimately doomed them, and the responsibility falls on everyone. Next season begins today, and I'd hope that everyone in the locker room last night left with a bad taste in their mouth that they could've done more, and commit themselves to going the extra mile this summer and fall.
              time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                Was Nicastro limited due to his arm?
                He had to have been, there's no other rational explanation as to why he didn't play much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  He had to have been, there's no other rational explanation as to why he didn't play much at all.
                  Rational and Jack Parker don't always go together. There was no rational reason why Ben Rosen couldn't have seen ten minutes in the last game against Merrimack. He's an okay player; certainly competent to see a little bit of action. Any little bit of rest for one of the "good" four helps when you're playing your third game in a row.

Comment

I saw the same thing Jacques saw when Nicastro was holding his arm close to his body after a hit. I didn't get a chance to ask about it (at these big games, we end up getting in a lot fewer questions in than during the regular season), but I'm sure that had something to do with his limited minutes. However, his and Escobedo's minutes were gonna be limited anyway due to the TV timeouts. Regardless of how solid Escobedo and Nicastro have been (especially Nicastro), they're still not on the level of Cohen, Shattenkirk, Warsofsky and Gryba, regardless of how "down" you think those guys have been. The top four were going to get more ice time than usual anyway; Nicastro's arm only added to it.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Rational and Jack Parker don't always go together. There was no rational reason why Ben Rosen couldn't have seen ten minutes in the last game against Merrimack. He's an okay player; certainly competent to see a little bit of action. Any little bit of rest for one of the "good" four helps when you're playing your third game in a row.
                      Rosen was not ready for college play this year, he looked slow and behind in every game I remember seeing him in. Mack had quick forwards who would've skated right around him every time. A week's rest is more than enough to recover, so the 8-10 minutes Rosen would've played wouldn't have made any difference.

And while Parker has done some wacky things, I 100% believe he would not intentionally dress an injured player and play him, knowing he couldn't play, and purposefully back himself into the corner of having to play only 4 dmen. On that note, why didn't Escobedo play more? He didn't look that bad out there, not spectacular, but certainly serviceable rest for the other 4.

Comment

Originally posted by 3hock View Post
                        Bonino supposed to play with the big club down the stretch.....

This team felt entitled.... from the way the freshmen treated people around campus , to the leadership playing to leave..... they had a good year, out and about in Boston, and it showed on the ice.... I my opinion.

The name on the back of the jersey seemed to be more important then the name on the front.... That is the difference between BU and BC this year, not talent or coaching....

We may have a few guys play in the show from this team, but they did not finish their careers here as they should have...

The fans put themselves behind these guys, with visions of a repeat, all americans, and even talk of another hobey during the pre-season, the guys did not do their part....

We can go back and forth all day on this team, but for the seniors and the early departures this year fell short and it did not have to be that way.
                        Well said coach Bavis. I agree with what you are saying. I also believe we will see other departures because as much as you are right about everything you said there are also issues on the bench and those issues won't be addressed.

Now let the negative reps begin......

Comment

Muse is carrying your team. Sneep is carrying your team.
                          You are a sweet little nitwit, BUFan84. I have to give you credit. I've never seen a BU fan or anyone for that matter come over the top of a hardcore BC fan and tell them they are a BC expert more than the BC fan. How many times have you actually seen BC play this year MR Expert??

Muse has carried the team. HAhahahahaha. Yea, he's played in 3 of the last 8 games. Sure!!!!

Sneep isn't even in the top 10 in plus/minus on BC. A whopping +6 on a team with a ridiculous goal differential to go along with 25 pts. He's carrying BC!! You're joking, right? Let me guess, you picked the highest scoring defenseman on BC by looking at stats, huh?

And Dumoulin and his +28 can't be carrying the team. No no no. Not possible. He's a freshman and I said so, so that must be false!!!

Atkinson and Gibbons are carrying your team. You saying Krieder is carrying the team would be like saying Connolly or Z. Cohen carried BU last year.
                          Breaking news, two of BC's best players are carrying the team (and 2/3rds of the top line in the league)!! You picked the top two point scorers on BC by looking at some stats again. Oh you're such a hockey genius BUFan84.

I guess Kreider can't possibly carry the team because he's a freshman. But... 12 of Kreider's 14 goals this year are in the last 16 games. Atkinson only has 10 goals in his last 16 games. Hmmmm.... why doesn't the stats section on HEonline show this so you can not look so stupid in these arguments!!!!!! Never mind the fact that Kreider sacked a GWG goal vs. UML with under 20 seconds left, an OT GWG vs. UMass, key goals in the Beanpot vs. BU and QFs vs. UMass and a great goal and assist last night in the semis... he must be filling a role for BC as a lowly player since he's a freshman. Christ, you're a freaking genius. Do John Buccigross and Barry Melrose know about you? I bet they think their job is in jeopardy with you on the loose!!!

I'm going to stop there as you've been exposed as a facepainting nitwit that doesn't know a thing about hockey time and again over the years here. You belong with that fanboy that thinks frozen pucks are more bouncy than pucks at room temperature.

You have a less than average day.
                          Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                            Big holes to fill and so far, just Clendening in the recruit class.
                            According to hokydad, you won't be seeing Adam "The Waffle" Clendening.

Originally posted by 3hock View Post
                            The name on the back of the jersey seemed to be more important then the name on the front.... That is the difference between BU and BC this year, not talent or coaching....
                            Millan and Muse are a wash when they're on their game and BU has some name guys on defense (but BC had the best team d in the league). You can't tell me there isn't a talent gap up front between the two teams. BC has a clear edge.

You and your buddies' repeated trashing, belittling and blasting college players, including kids on your own team, over at your Eagle Action cess pool proves that you don't have a clue about college hockey.
                            So, you read Eagle Action? Carmine already schooled you, but to put another slant on it, BC is now playing four freshman d every night. If that isn't them carrying part of the team, I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              According to hokydad, you won't be seeing Adam "The Waffle" Clendening.
                              I'm sorry....did you just take the word of Hokydad as gospel truth?? Really???? That's just......yeah. OK. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                                You are a sweet little nitwit, BUFan84. I have to give you credit. I've never seen a BU fan or anyone for that matter come over the top of a hardcore BC fan and tell them they are a BC expert more than the BC fan. How many times have you actually seen BC play this year MR Expert??.
                                Carmine I think your anger with BUfan84 is a little over the top. He compliments the play of the BC upper classman and realizes that the Freshman class is a key component of BC's success as well. From what I have seen no one class "is carrying the team" but its a whole lot of talent from top to bottom. Depth of talent is what is carrying the team. Kreider has been getting some big goals and if he wasnt getting them Gibbons, Atkinson, Smith or JWhitney would be getting them. The word "carrying" implies that there is a need to compensate for less talented or less productive players. I dont see that.

Comment

Working...
                                X