Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Bonino is an interesting question. There is a lot of talent coming in up front next season, and Nick could pile up the points and have a great senior year. And yet the Ducks or Sharks (I can never remember which one he went from/to) will lose him if he completes the season without signing, right?
    The Ducks would still maintain his rights until August the season he finishes his NCAA career. So they could still let him play his senior season. However, since Bonino will be 22 to start next season, they can only sign him to a 2-year entry-level deal, bringing him to RFA status once that ELC is done. If they sign him this year, he is still required to sign a 3-year ELC, so that they have control of him for longer. It's up to the Ducks if they want to bring him up this year or next. My guess is this year as they will have at least 1 C spot open with Saku Koivu on a 1-year deal.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by mkak18 View Post
      So who wears the C and the A's next year?
      Depends on who's wearing jerseys next year...
      Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

As disappointed as I am by the result, I must give Maine credit. They did a terrific job clearing their end of the ice. BU had no forecheck through the first two periods.

Quite a performance by JP during the timeout. I speculate he wasn't "discussing" the finer points of the game with the boys.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I'm frustrated. I'm concerned. Seeing Parker on TV - he is getting old. Old men yelling is not a good image. If we get all those talented forwards next year, we better get back into top-10 territory.

Sorry for the long vent. Part of my season ending process.
          But freshmen coming in aren't going to carry the team. Look at BC - they had two supposedly great forward classes in the last two seasons and they certainly didn't propel the team into the top 10 last year and this year it wasn't because of them. We're going to need pretty big seasons from returning players and any of Shattenkirk, Bonino and Cohen that stick around. And we're going to need a goalie, because we didn't have one this season.

Comment

While BC's rookie class didn't carry them last year, the rookie class this year has been a HUGE part of their success. Throw in the development of the current sophomore class and you're talking about 12 of BC's 18 skaters tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              While BC's rookie class didn't carry them last year, the rookie class this year has been a HUGE part of their success. Throw in the development of the current sophomore class and you're talking about 12 of BC's 18 skaters tonight.
              But we're talking about freshmen, so the development of the sophomores is irrelevant. Samuelsson and Domoulin have been good, but I don't think any of the other freshmen did anything other than add depth - they certainly haven't carried the team. My point is that if BU wants to be better next year, we're going to need more than that from the freshmen and I don't think that's reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                But we're talking about freshmen, so the development of the sophomores is irrelevant. Samuelsson and Domoulin have been good, but I don't think any of the other freshmen did anything other than add depth - they certainly haven't carried the team.
                BC's freshmen certainly have helped carry the team. Dumoulin and Samuelsson are ok and the others are only adding depth? You must be smoking something funny. Then again, you haven't actually shown that you know what you're talking about since you started posting. Kreider has helped carry this team down the stretch with huge GWG goals against UMass and UML, and large goals vs. UMass and UVM in the playoffs already (not to mention smoking Nicastro for a big one in the Piszpot that ended up being a 1 goal game). Dumoulin has helped carry this defense - to say that he is phenomenal is an understatement considering he is an 18 yo freshman. Samuelsson has been quite good - there's 33% of your much improved defense with him and Dumoulin. Mullane has been very good all year. Steven Whitney has been making things happen all year and has had a great 2nd half. And Parker Milner has some insane numbers for a freshman goalie in net while pushing Muse to bring of almost losing his starting job.

The freshman class is the reason for BC doing what they're doing this year. They're absolutely carrying BC - especially because of what Kreider and Dumoulin are doing right now.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

This is app well and good, but if I am a duck front office type, what have I seen from bonino that indicates he is close to being ready to be a regular contributor in the Nhl?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan12 View Post
                    This is app well and good, but if I am a duck front office type, what have I seen from bonino that indicates he is close to being ready to be a regular contributor in the Nhl?
                    I agree he looked sub par this year.

I'm willing to bet it was his shoulder never came back and he's playing hurt.

OR...he misses Yip and McCarthy.

Yip and McCarthy were the foundation of his line last year. Never afraid to go into the corners and take the hit to get the puck. I imagine that took a lot of heat of Bonino which freed him up a bit?

I think Z. Cohen tried but he doesn't have the speed, passing, or scoring of the other two guys.

Hopefully Jack works some power play practice into the mix next year. Geez, BU actually looked worse with the man advantage than 5-5 the second half of the season. It's nice to pass the puck, but you can't just stand around. Somebody has to move, don't they????
                    Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

This one was tough to watch because this team's problem all season was working for 60 minutes. They kept saying they realized it and would correct it, then never did.
                      They didn't have the talent of last year to make up for taking shifts and periods off.

That being said, looking at how much talent we lost from last year's team, making it to the HE semis is not bad.

There are a ton of good, young players who should blossom next year and with the new recruits we could be poised to climb back to the top of the standings.

So who wears the C and the A's next year?
                      This is a huge leap b/c who knows but...

If Shatt stays he keeps the "C".

Bonino gets an "A"
                      Warsofsky gets and "A" and is next in line for the "C"
                      Colby Cohen really seemed to pick up his Defense and I like how he stands up for his teammates so he gets an "A"

Hopefully all these guys are back...
                      Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Well, we get to watch hockey from here on out, stress free.

#3 is gone.

I think #13 stays.

#25? Who knows.

About the penalties. Isn't this like being a parent? If the bad behavior continues with little consequence, it's not going to stop. So Chiason was benched last night after taking a bad penalty. Where was that action in games 1 thru 38?

BU Hockey: Off Season
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

This one was tough to watch because this team's problem all season was working for 60 minutes. They kept saying they realized it and would correct it, then never did.
                          They didn't have the talent of last year to make up for taking shifts and periods off.
                          Without knowing it, you have crystalized the concern with coaching of myself and many BU fans. We've had one highly successful season in the last 12, and it took a tremendous amount of talent to get it done. In fact, that team barely got it done. Good coaching should be able to achieve great results without having to be stocked with future NHLers. I am cocnerned that under the current coaching situation, having the most talented team in the country is the only way we can remain among the elites.

Motivation and power play are two specific areas I have concerns with. JP is Mr. BU Hockey and he deserves all th kudos he receives. I just wonder if a Quinn or Sullivan would be able to better connect with this generation. I mean I have trouble connecting with them, and I am 25 years or so younger than Jack!
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                            OR...he misses Yip and McCarthy.

Yip and McCarthy were the foundation of his line last year. Never afraid to go into the corners and take the hit to get the puck. I imagine that took a lot of heat of Bonino which freed him up a bit?
                            Great point, although down the stretch, Bonino was driving the success of that line. In the FF, he was immense.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I've been saying since Nov. that if Shattenkirk and Bonino both leave (I'm not convinced both are), Warsofsky and Pereira will get Cs and Connolly will get an A.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Without knowing it, you have crystalized the concern with coaching of myself and many BU fans. We've had one highly successful season in the last 12, and it took a tremendous amount of talent to get it done. In fact, that team barely got it done. Good coaching should be able to achieve great results without having to be stocked with future NHLers. I am cocnerned that under the current coaching situation, having the most talented team in the country is the only way we can remain among the elites.

Motivation and power play are two specific areas I have concerns with. JP is Mr. BU Hockey and he deserves all the kudos he receives. I just wonder if a Quinn or Sullivan would be able to better connect with this generation. I mean I have trouble connecting with them, and I am 25 years or so younger than Jack!
                                We should all be more than "concerned". Just watched Parker's post-game comments and it is obvious he is biting his tongue since the team opened up on the coaching staff in January. The fact that the the team did not show up for the first two periods last night is the fault of the COACHING STAFF - plain and simple. That post-game interview sounded like all the others since 2004. The last BU team that really played for Jack and over-achieved was the 2000 team ... then they laid an egg in 2001.

There is no more talent over at BC this year, but they come to play every night from the Beanpot through to March. That was BU's signature under Jack Kelley and then Parker until the end of 1998. Since that melt-down against Mack and UNH they have not been able to finish - except last year and it was only a miracle finish that brought home the prize.

Quinny would have been the guy to hand over the reigns, but he could see Jack was not ready to leave so he bolted. Buddy Powers was not the guy to replace Dave.

This scenario reminds me of MSU with Ron Mason. Mason over-stayed there by at least 5-6 years and the program suffered. They were the best team in 2001 with Miller, but they blew it in the nat'ls. The mark of BU now is their records in 1999, 2001, 2004, 2008 and now 2010.

Parker has always been the candid, frank one who always calls it as he sees it. So when is he going to look in the mirror and tell himself its time? The excuse of the rink/arena is well behind us and the talent flow has been strong. This team easily could have been a top 6 or 7 team this year. Obviously Jack is coming back, but what happens if we see the same thing next year? Jack could have gone out on top after last year, but now he runs the risk of being known more like Ron Mason than his mentor and coach Jack Kelley. Very sad for Jack, but very frustrating to the faithful.

Comment

Working...
                                X