Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Over $3large?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Just two bidders going back and forth now, this could go on till 10k if they both have enough money. Anybody else find it kind of creepy that when someone finally does end up wearing it we're all going to know how much they paid?

How does the bidding work? Why does it sometimes go up 10 dollars sometimes 50 sometimes 100 or 200? The bidding thing on the auction page says current bid: 3010, next bid: 3020... so one assumes it's predetermined.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Yowza!! Will your Super Bowl winnings cover that???

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        Just noticed the picture for the auction is literally the exact same as the 3rd picture you have. Meaning the picture is not a picture of the actual jersey. I would not be shocked if the auctioned jersey was missing the Frozen Fenway patch or even the Hockey East patch, although I know they have extra HE patches so that shouldn't be a problem.
        So after I posted this a few days ago the picture has been changed (not saying cause and effect, because that would imply someone listens to me) and the new picture is of the actual auction jersey. I can tell because it's a Nike jersey, AND THE TEAM DIDN'T WEAR NIKE AT FENWAY. They just grabbed some overstock from last year lying in the closet and ripped the old "BOSTON" off and put on the Fenway stuff. Maybe the people spending 3 large don't care, but the jersey snob I am is kind of shocked.

Comment

That is absurd. No way I would ever consider paying that for ANY jersey.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

So after I posted this a few days ago the picture has been changed (not saying cause and effect, because that would imply someone listens to me) and the new picture is of the actual auction jersey. I can tell because it's a Nike jersey, AND THE TEAM DIDN'T WEAR NIKE AT FENWAY. They just grabbed some overstock from last year lying in the closet and ripped the old "BOSTON" off and put on the Fenway stuff. Maybe the people spending 3 large don't care, but the jersey snob I am is kind of shocked.
            People in athletics do follow these boards. I'd say there's a pretty good chance your post had something to do with it.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
              That is absurd. No way I would ever consider paying that for ANY jersey.
              That's what I said when it was at $800.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                People in athletics do follow these boards. I'd say there's a pretty good chance your post had something to do with it.
                Pffft they should get a life, there's only losers here

Comment

They could have a few problems on their hands for misrepresentation. This jersey is clearly not authentic in any way. The Nike/Bauer difference as you pointed out, and if you look at this picture of an actual game jersey: *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eefBaTJJjp0/S0fKyusDNHI/AAAAAAAAADQ/2aFVDhIhsq0/s400/P1050797.JPG****** you'll notice the collar is a laced one, not a simple V, and the captain's C lettering is in a different font. Thus, this jersey can be considered a replica at best, and isn't worth 1/10 of what it's being auctioned for.
                  time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                    They could have a few problems on their hands for misrepresentation. This jersey is clearly not authentic in any way. The Nike/Bauer difference as you pointed out, and if you look at this picture of an actual game jersey: you'll notice the collar is a laced one, not a simple V, and the captain's C lettering is in a different font. Thus, this jersey can be considered a replica at best, and isn't worth 1/10 of what it's being auctioned for.
                    Well now that the picture is accurate by the time people bid for it they will know what they're getting (saved them the lawsuit, I expect the check for Fall tuition is in the mail ) so it can't really be misrepresentation (can it, I'm no lawyer), and it was made by the same guy, just instead of custom making the jersey he modified an old one that was lying around.

and look at wording of their description: "This is, without a doubt, a must-have for any BU Ice Hockey fan. An authentic jersey designed specifically for the outdoor Frozen Fenway game, which BU won over BC, 3-2. This one-of-a-kind item was made for the student-athletes participating in the game and will not be sold in stores. Don't miss your opportunity to own a piece of Boston sports history! (All BU proceeds will go directly toward the athletic scholarship fund.)"

It is an authentic jersey, it has the design made specifically for the game, it just wasn't made for the student athletes, it was made for the auction... pretty crafty writing all around.
                    Last edited by Agganis; 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

They could have a few problems on their hands for misrepresentation. This jersey is clearly not authentic in any way. The Nike/Bauer difference as you pointed out, and if you look at this picture of an actual game jersey: *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eefBaTJJjp0/S0fKyusDNHI/AAAAAAAAADQ/2aFVDhIhsq0/s400/P1050797.JPG****** you'll notice the collar is a laced one, not a simple V, and the captain's C lettering is in a different font. Thus, this jersey can be considered a replica at best, and isn't worth 1/10 of what it's being auctioned for.
                      Huh. Very interesting. And just to make this perfectly clear, I am not related to that Steve McLaughlin bidding on it. My family's crazy, but not that crazy.

Comment

Well now that the picture is accurate by the time people bid for it they will know what they're getting (saved them the lawsuit, I expect the check for Fall tuition is in the mail )
                        the picture I'm seeing is not identical to the one I posted below, thus it is not authentic by definition and in a raffle for a collector's item like this, that's a huge difference.
                        time to write new history

Comment

the picture I'm seeing is not identical to the one I posted below, thus it is not authentic by definition and in a raffle for a collector's item like this, that's a huge difference.
                          It is "an authentic BU hockey jersey" it is not "an authentic Frozen Fenway jersey" the description seems ambiguous enough to me that it works for their little scam.

EDIT: Scam was a harsh term, it's just this whole situation is frustrating. It's deceiving bidders without outright lying. I assume who ever drops 3 large on a jersey has $$$$ and is a donor. Good job making them think it's #3's game worn jersey, when it is faaaaaar from that. Hopefully for BU's sake they are not too angry at the school, or at least don't display their anger in $.
                          Last edited by Agganis; 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

The picture I saw when I looked just now looks exactly like the one when I looked last week. Of course, I wasn't paying too close attention. What is the jersey that slurpees posted? Is that an actual one?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              The picture I saw when I looked just now looks exactly like the one when I looked last week. Of course, I wasn't paying too close attention. What is the jersey that slurpees posted? Is that an actual one?
                              The jersey slurpees posted was a picture taken of the real #3 jersey hours before the actual game. The auction picture was originally that picture with everything but the jersey whited out.

Comment

BU is going off at 75-1

uhn is 25-1
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X