Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
    When guys named Calhoun and Pitino coach your teams, this tends to happen.
    rick left BU at the end of 83
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Looks like I'm heading up to Burlington for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. Pretty pumped it's a noon start. Plenty of time to get back for hockey.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Also, Friday's BU-Merrimack game has been picked up by NESN. Start time 7:30.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          i watched that game from T's... had two tables pushed together down front of the big screen in the corner by the window.
          Well, if they showed the band, you saw me, bro! I wasn't even in the band -- No actual musicians, they said; makes it not so fun for the regulars. (Really, this was the rule.) But when we made the tourney, the band director came up to me and and few other guys and said, "We need some ringers, fill out the band, look better on TV. Want to go?" Freaking Yes I would like to go. Flew us down with the cheerleaders, we lost to Danny Ferry et al, flew back the next day.
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Awesome!
            Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              Also, Friday's BU-Merrimack game has been picked up by NESN. Start time 7:30.
              mookie called this 24hrs ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                Well, if they showed the band, you saw me, bro! I wasn't even in the band -- No actual musicians, they said; makes it not so fun for the regulars. (Really, this was the rule.) But when we made the tourney, the band director came up to me and and few other guys and said, "We need some ringers, fill out the band, look better on TV. Want to go?" Freaking Yes I would like to go. Flew us down with the cheerleaders, we lost to Danny Ferry et al, flew back the next day.
                yeah, that game wasn't even close....

Comment

Finally added the gallery to the recap of senior night game - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/03/05/nu-bu.php

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                  HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                  HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                    UNH is now entering the discussion for fewest points scored in an AE tournament game... they have 33 and the record is 37, haha.

Quarterfinals at Walter Brown.... Maybe next year :/
                    losers couldn't even set the record...

Comment

I just looked it up. It was Karl Fogel, and he coached NE from 86-94. BU and NE had a really heated bball rivalry for a stretch. They met in the conference championship 3 yrs in a row (85, 86 and 87).

It was spring of 88 I think. NE was on its way towards its poorest season in a while, and BU was on its way to Chapel Hill to play Duke in the NCAAs. (In the brand-new Dean Dome. Yours truly was in attendance. ) Anyway, the game had been heated; then there was a scuffle. Coach Jarvis was trying to break up a couple of guys, when Fogel came over and shoved him, in a "keep your hands of my guy" kind of way. When Coach Jarvis saw it was the other coach who had shoved him, he went off. It was the, "Oh no you did not just do that, and now we're gonna throw down" kind. No punches landed, but it was intense.
                      Ah, the memories. I made the ride down as well - a good high school friend was at Duke, so I figured it would be worth it. I rode down with, among others, a girl that insisted she was dating Dredrick. Given how little she knew about b-ball, she had to be telling the truth, as there would be no other reason for her to be going. The Dean Dome was unbelievable.

I remember watching warmups and thinking, YIKES! What was the name of the pretty-boy point guard for Duke? I saw him casually leap from a stand still under the rim and throw down a dunk. GULP.

And while we are reminiscing, who remembers Scott Spinelli? And who was the big white guy that hardly ever played - I think he had a Greek or Turkish name. He was the Gryba/Morrow fan favorite type - the crowd would chant for him to get into a blowout game.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        What was the name of the pretty-boy point guard for Duke?
                        You just named many Dook players. But are you talking about Bobby or Danny Hurley?
                        time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                          You just named many Dook players. But are you talking about Bobby or Danny Hurley?
                          Neither of them could be considered pretty. The only one I can think of is Christian Laettner.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            Ah, the memories. I made the ride down as well - a good high school friend was at Duke, so I figured it would be worth it. I rode down with, among others, a girl that insisted she was dating Dredrick. Given how little she knew about b-ball, she had to be telling the truth, as there would be no other reason for her to be going. The Dean Dome was unbelievable.

I remember watching warmups and thinking, YIKES! What was the name of the pretty-boy point guard for Duke? I saw him casually leap from a stand still under the rim and throw down a dunk. GULP.

And while we are reminiscing, who remembers Scott Spinelli? And who was the big white guy that hardly ever played - I think he had a Greek or Turkish name. He was the Gryba/Morrow fan favorite type - the crowd would chant for him to get into a blowout game.
                            1 - Pretty boy guard from '88? Maybe Quinn Snider? He went on to be a pretty boy coach at Missouri.

2 - Scott Spinelli! What a blast from the past. He's an asst coach at Texas A&M now.

3 - I can totally picture the Greek guy you're talking about, but here's the roster:

Tony DaCosta
                            Fred Davy
                            Drederick Irving
                            Russell Jarvis
                            Larry Jones
                            Francis Kalitsi
                            Steven Key
                            David King
                            Isaac Kodsi
                            Ron Moses
                            Scott Spinelli
                            Reggie Stewart
                            Jeff Timberlake
                            Scott White

and none of the names jumps out.

4 - Lastly, even though we got thumped in that Duke game, what kills me when I think about it is that we had the ball, 45 seconds to go in the 1st half, only down by 5. EVERYBODY knows that when you're in that good a shape, you hold for the last shot. Worst-case scenario, you're only down 5; best-case you're down by 2, to Duke!, at the half. But Dredrick -- who I loved -- came down and immediately put up a 3. He missed, Duke fast break, foul and the bucket/three point play, Duke steal, foul and the bucket/three point play, BAM we're down 11 at the half. And the game was over then. Man, if only we'd held for the last shot . . .
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Neither of them could be considered pretty. The only one I can think of is Christian Laettner.
                              There is absolutely nothing pretty about Christian Laettner.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3rg...eature=related 2:18. He would likely get mugged and severely beaten if he set foot in Storrs, CT.

Comment

1 - Pretty boy guard from '88? Maybe Quinn Snider? He went on to be a pretty boy failure at Missouri.
                                It was Snyder on the '88 team, I looked it up. Then I FYP. And then I double-posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X