• Show
Clear All

• Re: The 3rd official 09-10 Maine season thread: Bubble-icious

Where's the fire Whistlin Dick thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
      Where's the fire Whistlin Dick thread?
      It's out there...just keep looking. I believe they revived and old one before UNH even lost.
      You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
      ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
      ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
      ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
        It's out there...just keep looking. I believe they revived and old one before UNH even lost.
        He was as lifeless as his team was. Cracked me up watching him stand there leaning against the glass while his team was getting smoked. It's the little things in life!

Comment

Black Bears Rising. Here's an interview with Bob Corkum in his hometown newspaper. The future is bright for Maine hockey. Bob's bought a house in Bangor and he had the most fun ever in coaching this years team. Too, bad Tim doesn't allow him to speak to the local media. Very nice article.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/puspo...081233426.html

Comment

hey guys, just wondering who, if anyone, you think will leave early

Comment

Originally posted by whitaker9999 View Post
              hey guys, just wondering who, if anyone, you think will leave early
              I'm betting no one leaves early. Nyquist could if Detroit wants him too, but that doesnt appear likely and he's loving college life right now.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Black Bears Rising. Here's an interview with Bob Corkum in his hometown newspaper. Very nice article.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/puspo...081233426.html
                Comments on the story, with quotes:

"Corkum said proudly. "Our goal coming into the year was to earn home ice in the playoffs...."
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Really ? Just "be top four in the regular season" ? This is a joke, perhaps ? Maine should have a goal EVERY SEASON of making the Round of 16. Anything short of that is mediocre and inconsistent with their positioning as being one of the elite teams in the nation. Need an example: look at Michigan.
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                "I think there's too much weight placed on games played early. Everyone plays out of conference games, and a lot of times the team that plays in October is not the same team that plays in March. A bad start like us this year can really hurt you, and we beat good teams later in the season.

"We swept three games from a difficult UVM team and two of the three were at their place. The numbers are what they are, but I'd like to see some sort of play-in format, which I think is the fairest way to do it."
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                So, you don't think you need to play as hard in October as you do in the conference schedule in February and March ? Guess what, it's the same for each of your early-season opponents, they are "not the same team" either. If Maine this year had split with or swept Union, this would not have even been said. No one from Maine wanted the NCAA to adopt play-in games in earlier seasons when Maine piled up the OOC wins and helped themselves tremendously in PWR.

This "lowest common denominator" philosophy is not worthy of the proud championship pedigree that got built in this program.

Perhaps Dick Umile only sets a goal to win the Hockey East regular season championship each year at UHN...and guess what...he does. AND GOES NO FURTHER.
                Maine coach Red Gendron said:
                “We’re not satisfied unless we win, that’s the bottom line. There are no moral victories. If we were to play a season for just moral victories, why even bother playing?”

Comment

Sounds like Corkum has been drinking the TIMMAY kool-aid.......

I think that we can safely assume that the bar has been lowered on not only the hockey program, but the entire athletic program in general. While it is good to have a realistic outlook financially (from an AD's point-of-view).......it makes me sick that UMaine's coaches have bought into the we-can-only-do-so-much-here mentality. Coaches should have a sky-is-the-limit mentality.......to motivate the athletes, the fans and the donors. That just ain't happening under the Blake James regime!

On a side note.........I will reiterate that Portland or Bangor could absolutely succeed in hosting an NCAA Regional provided they have a proper facility (6,000-8,000 seats). Those that comment that there aren't enough hotels or that Mainers will not pay the ticket prices have no idea what they are talking about. First off, we are talking about a few hundred fans that need hotel rooms.......not thousands. Secondly, Mainers probably spend more time and money following their team than almost any other program in the country.......I think that they will spring for NCAA tickets in their backyard!

Comment

Seriously?

There are goals and then there are goals. Should Maine hockey try to win a national championship? Of course. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea also to have attainable goals.

I know, I know. There used to be no difference. At the beginning of the year (any year), the goal was to reach the FF and compete for a national title.

But to set that as the goal going into 2009-2010, after the Amtrak derailment that was the past 2 seasons, seems kind of asinine. If I read that article last October, I wouldn't have thought Corkum was lowering his sights. Frankly, last Fall I would have thought those goals were ambitious.

If I can exaggerate for effect (on teh internets? never!): which goal seems more appropriate for your kid to reach by his 6th birthday: running a 5-minute mile or learning to tie his shoes?
                    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      Seriously?

There are goals and then there are goals. Should Maine hockey try to win a national championship? Of course. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea also to have attainable goals.

I know, I know. There used to be no difference. At the beginning of the year (any year), the goal was to reach the FF and compete for a national title.

But to set that as the goal going into 2009-2010, after the Amtrak derailment that was the past 2 seasons, seems kind of asinine. If I read that article last October, I wouldn't have thought Corkum was lowering his sights. Frankly, last Fall I would have thought those goals were ambitious.

If I can exaggerate for effect (on teh internets? never!): which goal seems more appropriate for your kid to reach by his 6th birthday: running a 5-minute mile or learning to tie his shoes?
                      Exactly. With what everyone's expectations were going into this season, to sit back now and complain how the bar has been lowered is dumb. The program was already down. At some point (thank God) it had to start coming back. This was the start. To say oh this season sucked because we're not in the FF because that's where Maine should always be, is not being realistic. It's what we all want and hopefully it will happen next year. But the past is the past. Maine's not the only program to go thru a couple of down years for chrissttt sakes. Finally there is reason to be optimistic and the program will be back to where it should be.
                      Last edited by ck1969; 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                        . Finally there is reason to be optimistic and the program will be back to where it should be.
                        I think they will improve, if and only if Nyquist comes back and a goalie shows up for a full season. After watching Yale put a TD up on BC my confidence that this team is vastly improved has dwindled.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          I think they will improve, if and only if Nyquist comes back and a goalie shows up for a full season. After watching Yale put a TD up on BC my confidence that this team is vastly improved has dwindled.
                          Muse is a sieve.

Comment

Didn't Yale have the best offense in D1 this year? I thought things fell where they should have..........

Comment

Let your eyes tell you. The forwards are faster and better than they've been since 2007, especially with (presumably) all of them back.

The D....depends. They all have, except maybe Dimmen, a propensity to look soft and clueless at times, but they've also all shown the ability to have a physical edge. Hope it's youth that's led to the inconsistency, because if it is we're in business for next year.

We can find a guy at least as good as Muse. Heck Sirman can be as good as Muse has been lately.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                Seriously?

Right on ABB. As usual, you getit. For goals to be effective they have to be reasonably attainable, otherwise they're useless. Thats taught in goals 101.
                                Last edited by acs64; 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X