X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 3rd official 09-10 Maine season thread: Bubble-icious

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    not making the NCAAs and getting swept by UMass and Union is a "decent" season?

bdn mainejeff = Sandiego
    Relatively speaking you've got to say that getting home ice and making it to Boston has to be considered decent, epecially with what we've had to go through the last couple of years. And taking BC to the ropes in the finals counts for something I guess. The thing that gnaws at me though is this apparent consistant "shoot yourself in the foot" syndrome they seem to have towards the end of the season....I dont know the whole story on Darling, maybe we'll never know, but geeezus it seems important to me to never let (somehow) this kind of a back against the wall situation develop. It just makes me wonder w t f is actually going on up there at times.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

sure, Maine made a good run in the hockey east tournament, but if they had lost that second game in overtime to UML, the season would have been another disaster. timmay sucks.
      I not a Timmay fan, but you have to look at how they made the run. It had alot to do with coaching (ugh that hurt) . I see a different Timmay then I did at the begining of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Another option (from an administrative point of view) would be to wait until the upcoming season is over to see if this year was an anomaly. In other words, make him squirm and perform with only one year left on present contract. The draw back is it would be difficult to recruit with the uncertainty of who the coach was going to be in the future. I'm not necessarily a huge Whitehead fan but he did an excellent job this year. He also had excellent on ice leadership from players. Who knows, he may have other attractive offers.
        House = good leader. I give him and Nyquist a huge amount of credit from what I can see.

Comment

I almost get the impression that James is floating a trial balloon out there by stating he is considering an extension for Whitehead....why would he even bother to state such a thing.....either do it or dont. IF hes trying to get a sense of what the fans reaction is, heres your chance to weigh in.

Comment

I have not read all the articles regarding Timmay's contract extension. Do any indicate how long the extension maybe? If it were up to me, I would give him a 1 year extension. I believe Maine should be optomistic about next year. If they blow it, Timmay should get canned. Somehow I think it is probably several years.

God help us all if Nyquist leaves for 2 reasons:
            1. Obviously - he is awesome and fun to watch.
            2. His name would join the ranks of Purcell, Sweetland, and Bishop as the over used excuses that Timmay loves to deploy in times of turmoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Potato in NH View Post
              I have not read all the articles regarding Timmay's contract extension. Do any indicate how long the extension maybe? If it were up to me, I would give him a 1 year extension. I believe Maine should be optomistic about next year. If they blow it, Timmay should get canned. Somehow I think it is probably several years.

God help us all if Nyquist leaves for 2 reasons:
              1. Obviously - he is awesome and fun to watch.
              2. His name would join the ranks of Purcell, Sweetland, and Bishop as the over used excuses that Timmay loves to deploy in times of turmoil.

While at Lowell, I believe they offered Tim a 1-year extension. He wanted something longer with more security and they balked. He left!

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                I understand that college coaches working in the last year of their contract can hurt recruiting/the program. I'd give him two or three years on top of next season with a University friendly buyout option after 2012.
                Don't worry. His VIPness will buy out the contract - and maybe pay the new contract for a head coach. *fingers crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  Relatively speaking you've got to say that getting home ice and making it to Boston has to be considered decent, epecially with what we've had to go through the last couple of years..
                  Looking at the last 2 years means expectations are pretty low. 2 games above .500 and not making the NCAAs means Maine is now Lowell. Yippee.
                  If several things come together, MAine should be pretty good next year, will those things come together and will Maine continue to improve recruiting to keep it going??
                  Last edited by walrus; 03-26-2010, 10:18 AM.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Looking at the last 2 years means expectations are pretty low. 2 games above .500 and not making the NCAAs means Maine is now Lowell. Yippee.
                    The correct analogy is Lake Superior State, not Lowell. You lose 100 Timmay points.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                      While at Lowell, I believe they offered Tim a 1-year extension. He wanted something longer with more security and they balked. He left!
                      In addition to recruiting issues, by not extending Tim's contract the administration is basically telling him to look for another job. Apparently, they want him back. It will be interesting to see how long the extension will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        The correct analogy is Lake Superior State, not Lowell. You lose 100 Timmay points.
                        Now that's funny!

On Tim's extension we can agree on a couple of points.

#1 While Maine was picked to finish 8th both the pro Tim set (like me) and the TIMMAY posters all expected this team to be better! My expectations were 4th or 5th and I know we all would have signed up for home ice!

#2 Having said that, had Maine, after closing the season being swept at home, also been swept by Lowell it would have been a disappointing season.

#3 The way the team was prepared to play with their #3 goalie in net, and the way they responded in beating Lowell 2x's and BU and then losing to BC provided us all with reasons to be optimistic about the future.

Finally #4 Next year is filled with expectations and with that new challenges for the coach and players. We expect Maine to contend for 1st in Hockey East and to make the NCAA tournament. Anything short of that will demonstrate real concern.

On the plus side we saw the reemergence of Maine Hockey, and the development of a strong freshman class and a sophomore class that got better! And what was left of the junior class forwards after the dismissals last year was better than expected as Dee finally emerged and House proved to be a great captain!

We are all in agreement that goaltending is the big ?.

Obviously I am of the belief that an extension is warranted. I have confidence that we will see a better team next year which will hopefully set us up for a new run despite the losses we will suffer after next season, not from the senior class but from the likes of Flynn, O'Neill, and Nyquist (if in fact he is around next year).

So the recruiting is really going to need to continue to attract some elite players, and we could use some forwards taller than 5'8" with the rest of our forward recruits!

Agree with others, IF (and many of you don't agree) you have the right man for the job (and I believe we do) you extend him, and not for one year as Lowell did. I am confident we are past the recent bumps in the road (okay they were more than bumps) and are ready to retain our status as one of the big 4 in the league! Flame Away!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                          Now that's funny!

On Tim's extension we can agree on a couple of points.

#1 While Maine was picked to finish 8th both the pro Tim set (like me) and the TIMMAY posters all expected this team to be better! My expectations were 4th or 5th and I know we all would have signed up for home ice!

#2 Having said that, had Maine, after closing the season being swept at home, also been swept by Lowell it would have been a disappointing season.

#3 The way the team was prepared to play with their #3 goalie in net, and the way they responded in beating Lowell 2x's and BU and then losing to BC provided us all with reasons to be optimistic about the future.

Finally #4 Next year is filled with expectations and with that new challenges for the coach and players. We expect Maine to contend for 1st in Hockey East and to make the NCAA tournament. Anything short of that will demonstrate real concern.

On the plus side we saw the reemergence of Maine Hockey, and the development of a strong freshman class and a sophomore class that got better! And what was left of the junior class forwards after the dismissals last year was better than expected as Dee finally emerged and House proved to be a great captain!

Obviously I am of the belief that an extension is warranted. I have confidence that we will see a better team next year which will hopefully set us up for a new run despite the losses we will suffer after next season, not from the senior class but from the likes of Flynn, O'Neill, and Nyquist (if in fact he is around next year).

So the recruiting is really going to need to continue to attract some elite players, and we could use some forwards taller than 5'8" with the rest of our forward recruits!

Agree with others, IF (and many of you don't agree) you have the right man for the job (and I believe we do) you extend him, and not for one year as Lowell did. I am confident we are past the recent bumps in the road (okay they were more than bumps) and are ready to retain our status as one of the big 4 in the league! Flame Away!
                          No flaming here. Great post, I agree.

I just usually like to get BassAle going with TIMMAY comments when I can.
                          You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                          ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                          ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                          ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post

I figured 6th so good improvement over what I thought. Darlings run in the middle of the season, Gus's line, House and Dimmen being great captains, Dee being the guy we hoped he'd be based on what Minnie guys told us. Shemansky at the beginning of the season, Diamond at the end of season. Other freshman exceeding expectations also.

The biggest reason to think Tim has the team on the right path, the team was ready, he was ready and almost did the job. Still disappointed though
                            Agree
                            This could be a deal breaker, not convinced Darling is coming back or is the guy to lead the team if he does?

He has a year to go, why not extend with another year with the promise of longer if indeed the team performs. Won't happen but I think that's fair. Probably get another 3 years?
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If you watched them vs BU and BC, that about sums up the teams direction. That was a Maine team of old and I loved seeing them back in Boston.

Used to be like old home week with Maine, BU, BC and UNH heading to the final 4. Maine always brought the most passionate fans and even though it sucked to lose, the team represented the base well and had a lunch box mentality that all true Mainers love

Comment

not making the NCAAs and getting swept by UMass and Union is a "decent" season?

bdn mainejeff = Sandiego
                                BassAle = Alan Alda

Comment

Working...
                                X