This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 3rd official 09-10 Maine season thread: Bubble-icious

This ending will only help the likes of the younger players to get back to the winning tradition that Maine fans so eagerly thurst. First off what a Hockey game. Maine never quit. Although the future looks brighter for Maine, you have to be impressed with that juggernut of a hockey machine Boston College has. Year after year come playoff time this team is allways peaking. They will be a very tough out in the tournament. The forward are four lines deep, ans very fast. they are a very well coached team. Hats off to Jerry York.

Keep your heads up Maine fans the team is on the right track. Your team would have went very far this year with the likes of a Jimmy Howard between the pipes. You have to go get a netminder.
    USA WOMENS HOCKEY

Comment

Well what a weekend. Being at the Gahdin last night was something special. I am so sorry they lost but I will tell you that was one H ell of a game to witness live. The emotion in that building was off the chart. It truly was like going back in time. When they scoerd the tying goal I thought the roof was going to come off. Pretty awesome.

As far as the team goes....truely exceeded my expectations. Showed a ton of heart and guts over the last two weeks. Willy didn't have his A game last night but in no way do I put the L on him. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have even been there. BC is a very fast and talented team. They are relentless on the forecheck and their PK is excellent.

I want to thank this team for restoring the pride and fun to Maine hockey. Its been a while since myself...or any of us have been this excited and looked at the future of the program with such optimism and confidence. I really thing this team could've won a couple in the NCAA's. But like Wally said hopefully there is a real bad taste that lasts until October.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEBOX View Post
        you have to be impressed with that juggernut of a hockey machine Boston College has. Year after year come playoff time this team is allways peaking. They will be a very tough out in the tournament. The forward are four lines deep, ans very fast. they are a very well coached team. Hats off to Jerry York.
        Without a doubt, BC is a machine and well oiled one at that. Their forwards are unreal, never stop moving and generally go full speed. Jerry is the best their is in college hockey right now. I expect them to go far this year.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Without a doubt, BC is a machine and well oiled one at that. Their forwards are unreal, never stop moving and generally go full speed. Jerry is the best their is in college hockey right now. I expect them to go far this year.
          As scary as it sounds, they may be better next year.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
            I too very impressed with maine and there never die attitude , nice to see them back there after a 4 year absence, moreover miss the days when both maine and unh were there. If you can remember that was when the place would sellout , as both schools bring a large crowd , thou i would have to give your fans the nod , very passionate bunch. Anyways looking for good things from you guys next year and hopefully we will see each other in the F Center.
            Couldn't agree more with unh1982 and go blue before him (although I root for UMaine when they don't play UNH). So glad you have much to look forward to, which means all of HE does as well.

So also does Nyquist staying at least another year help everyone. Wellman has left UMass, and some reports that Marcou and Irwin leaving, too. Hope Nyquist, Kessel, everyone stays around awhile. But back to the positive: many congrats, Black Bears!

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
              Couldn't agree more with unh1982 and go blue before him (although I root for UMaine when they don't play UNH). So glad you have much to look forward to, which means all of HE does as well.

So also does Nyquist staying at least another year help everyone. Wellman has left UMass, and some reports that Marcou and Irwin leaving, too. Hope Nyquist, Kessel, everyone stays around awhile. But back to the positive: many congrats, Black Bears!
              Marcou and Irwin are gone. Bonino is gone from BU, too.
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

*****http://www.joshgibney.com/100320MEBC/wBCMaine_JDG_4946.jpg***********http://www.joshgibney.com/100320MEBC/wBCMaine_JDG_5250.jpg******

Great couplea games this weekend, and you guys had an awesome crowd at the Gahdin. Good to see you back there again, sorry it didn't work out in the end, but it was nothing to be ashamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  With how close the PWR is, I feel like if they even go 2-2 in the swept Union and UMass series' they're in.
                  They didn't even have to do that. One win against Union and they would have been 11 in the PWR and in.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    I disagree with this. I think they've finally been playing up to their talent level, besides the first line which kind of has been most of the season. I think they were playing below their talent level the last 3 weeks of the regular season.

The two PPGs were point shots, screened/tipped not much he can do.

Lombardi's first goal was slid into the net by Nemec, not Wilson's fault.

The one Willy knocked into the net with his blocker was rough, shot might've gone wide. The winner he should've stopped and he could've gotten his leg to the post on goal #6 but it was a pretty bad defensive play and a funny bounce that led to it.

All in all he didn't get beat by clean shots much. Willy exceeded everyone's expectations except maybe his own.
                    This I pretty much agree with. Willie had a couple goals that he'd be glad to have back, but he also had a couple where he had no shot on because he was screened and never saw them. Muse had a couple of those too. The game winner, while he should have stopped it, would have never gotten to him if the D had played the body instead of watching the puck, trying to stick check. Maybe even the sixth goal too, I can't quite recall. Not gonna fault him too much, cause he played his heart out, and you could see his simmering anger when they showed him closeup while they were fixing the glass. While he would have liked a couple back, he also had some prety stellar saves to keep Maine in it.

As was said, if Darling had played, I don't think we get past Lowell, so kudos to him for getting them that far. A goalie hunt should be a priority in the offseason though, and perhaps also a new goalie coach
                    hunt.

All in all the D played well, but they were a bit overmatched at times with BC's forwards, which can be understandable. But there were times when they got caught out of position or puckwatching, and BC took advantage. Definitely could use a big rugged d-man who will take the body, and clear the netfront.

Anyone notice that roughly the last ten minutes TIMMAY went to four d-men, with Mangene being one of them? I think Nemec might have gotten injured when he got body-slammed into the glass, cause we never saw him after, which was too bad because I thought he was playing a pretty solid, physical, take the body game up to that point, and both Cornell and Hegerty were left on the bench, whether injury or what I don't know. Rotated O'Neill and Dimmen, Mangene and Van Dyk for the rest of the game. Either we need to improvethe guys we have so they don't have to sit at crucial times, or go out and get a big stud to anchor the corps. Thought Hegerty was supposed to be that guy? Loks like Nemec could possibly be.

Gotta love the way the team kept battling back though, and yeah, they were a bit overmatched by BC's skill. But as was said, I'm in the camp that they were finally playing up to their abilities after underachieving down the stretch, and if the players can look at that effort, take it to heart and determine to bring that kind of intensity and determination every night, next season can only be better.

All in all a great result for a team that was going nowhere after the first few weeks of the season until Corkum took them out skating. Much better than I ever could have predicted. When they look back on it, they'll see that, and also hopefully look at the things they have to do to take the next step.
                    Last edited by rufus; 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      As far as the team goes....truely exceeded my expectations. Showed a ton of heart and guts over the last two weeks. Willy didn't have his A game last night but in no way do I put the L on him. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have even been there. BC is a very fast and talented team. They are relentless on the forecheck and their PK is excellent.

I want to thank this team for restoring the pride and fun to Maine hockey. Its been a while since myself...or any of us have been this excited and looked at the future of the program with such optimism and confidence.
                      Great to see that this Maine team showed us that they do understand what Maine hockey was/is all about!!

Wilson's not a Howard or Snow or even an Alfie, but he gave it his all and I hope he'll look back with huge pride on his contribution to restoring Maine hockey. A few softies last night but none of us would have had the chance to see the way the whole team could play under pressure without his contribution against Lowell and BU. After riding the bench for so long, I'm glad all his hard work paid off so he finally got the chance to prove to himself and all of us that he was a real Division 1 hockey player!!

If Whitehead can come up with a reliable goalie and Nyquist sticks around, next year's gonna be fun!

Comment

What a game. Maine showed so much heart out there. Congrads to Wilson on a great end of your college career run. "A" game might not of been there last night, but you made some amazing saves at point blank and gave us a chance to win. If this Maine team can stay together (Nyquist doesn't leave) I see very good things for this team next year. NCAA tourney or bust next year. We the fans need to bring and continue our support of the team. It is incredible how much they feed off our energy. Tough game to swallow, but I'm looking forward to next year more than ever right now.

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
                          What a hockey game! I am dissapointed that Maine lost, but happy with their never say die attitude and the way they kept pressing last night even when they down. Tough game to lose, but a heck of an effort against a very talented team.

Wilson let in a couple of soft goals last night, but kudos to this young man for stepping up and helping to get Maine into that game last night.

If you had told me before the season began that Maine would approach 20 wins and play for the HE title, I would have rolled my eyes. A positive season, with a few "what if's". We can all wonder what would have happened if this had happened or that etc, but the bottom line is that this team exceeded expectations and I look forward to next year.

Critical that Nyquist return and the goaltending situation is a question mark as well.

Congrats the da Bears and good luck to all the seniors, thanks for your time and effort and best of luck in the future.
                          Great thoughts. Couldnt' agree more. Proud to be a fan last night. Nice to have so many Maine fans at the Garden. Pretty electric atmosphere. Well worth the trip.

Hopefully the boyz can get serious this summer with their workouts and come back on a mission. Gotta think that the experiences of the season, especially this weekend will lead to greater success next year. Loved the way Diamond came on late, all over the ice. I think the obvious keys are Gus and the net situation.

Good luck Dek, Willie, Brett and Kevin. Tough break for Brett to be out of the lineup. He was a solid grinder and hard worker. Dek was great all year. Swallow was always hustling and good on pk. And Willie saved his best for last, well maybe next to last, but nonetheless carried this team for a few games when not many thought possible. Thanks guys for wearing the sweater with pride.

Prouda dem Bearz! It stings today, but there seems to be quite a bit to look forward to.

See you in October
                          Buzzy

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Gonna be tough to beat. They transition the puck so well. Ridiculous amount of odd man rushes. They are all over the ice. Can't get in a shootout with them thats for sure.
                            Buzzy

Comment

Figures that UVM sneaks in. The PWR and selection process is a frusterating one. It is what it is I guess. Maine, with pretty much identical record and two wins and a tie against, is left out. Very tough to digest, eh!
                              Buzzy

Comment

Ugh...tough one, huh? Expectations should be high for next year. Love the Diamond kid. All guts....anyone know of any highlight clips anywhere? What a game for me to miss sounds like.

Love the heart and intensity. Its what the game is all about.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X