X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 3rd official 09-10 Maine season thread: Bubble-icious

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    nor am i... for maine to win, they're going to need to score 4+ goals per night... hutton and and hamilton both have sub-3.00 GAAs and 90+% save percentages (with hutton leading both categories with 2.06 and 92.8%)

not looking good...
    I think you are right on point. We have a chance by scoring 4+ goals. If the D plays 1/2way decent Willy can hold them to 3 goals. However........

Comment

Steve Sollway's article in today's PPH

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/on...010-03-09.html

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
        The student/athlete code does allow an of age individual to drink. Team rules however prohibit such activity during the season.
        I used to see and talk to players at the bar all the time after a home series. Peter Metcalf, Prestin Ryan, Lucas Lawson, Colin Shields, etc were regulars about the same time I was spending way too much money at Margaritas after hockey games. I think I probably even bought them a pitcher of beer before. I don't think team rules prohibit all drinking during the season.
        Last edited by BassAle; 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          I used to see and talk to players all the bar all the time after a home series. Peter Metcalf, Prestin Ryan, Lucas Lawson, Colin Shields, etc were regulars about the same time I was spending way too much money at Margaritas after hockey games. I think I probably even bought them a pitcher of beer before. I don't think team rules prohibit all drinking during the season.
          You are probably correct, I am sure that those times are very limited though. I would expect that Sat night after a home series and no practice the next day would be one of those times.

Comment

Only frame of reference I have is Jack Parker having a similar rule about when you could and couldn't drink; Brian McGuirk got suspended for breaking it a couple years ago.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
              and depending on how things go...

"Whitehead said if the Bears win this weekend’s series, Darling’s status will be re-evaluated next week."
              No way. Dress him, maybe, to be the backup or experience the Garden but IF either Willy or Shawn leads the team to a series win they've earned the right to start the semi, in my mind.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                No way. Dress him, maybe, to be the backup or experience the Garden but IF either Willy or Shawn leads the team to a series win they've earned the right to start the semi, in my mind.
                Technically speaking it wouldn't be a road game, so maybe Wilson could win at the Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Absolutely. 1st he hasn't been stellar as of late anyway. AND what kind of mindset will he have after dealing w/all this crap over the last week. He wouldn't be ready to play regardless IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                    Technically speaking it wouldn't be a road game, so maybe Wilson could win at the Garden.
                    Technically speaking, as the fourth seed, we would need two upsets above us in the first round to end up a "home" team after the reseeding for the Garden rounds.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Hey TBF did u call the tix office today? I forgot. Curious what's left for Sat nite.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                        Hey TBF did u call the tix office today? I forgot. Curious what's left for Sat nite.
                        Sorry ck, my oldest has a game at 6 on Friday night. I won't be able to go. Saturday it is unknown at this point when he plays and I don't want to buy tickets I will not be able to use.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                          Steve Sollway's article in today's PPH

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/on...010-03-09.html
                          TBF - thanks for the correction.

PPH seems to have the better write ups.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            Technically speaking, as the fourth seed, we would need two upsets above us in the first round to end up a "home" team after the reseeding for the Garden rounds.
                            Visiting team, yes, but nuetral ice.

Comment

Nice letter to the editor in today's paper from a fan about Darling. Larry's article from today follows the letter.

Athlete’s graciousness

Due to the good will and sense of community from Coach Bob Corkum and a number of players from the University of Maine Men’s Hockey Team recently, my 6-year-old son, Cole, had the opportunity to skate with Ryan Hegarty, Mike Cornell, Joey Diamond, Josh Seeley and Matt Mangene. They were gracious, patient, and represented the University very well. However, the highlight for Cole and me was meeting goalie Scott Darling.

My son idolizes Scott, and when I had the chance to tell Scott that, he couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating. In fact, without being prompted by me or anyone, he retrieved his game-stick, autographed it with a personal message, and gave it to my son. This impromptu and thoughtful gesture not only made a gigantic impression on a little boy which will never fade, but also caused me, as both a parent and member of the Maine Legislature, to look at the University’s sports program and its athletes in an entirely different light.

That simple but significant gesture by a young man, barely out of boyhood himself, caused a little boy and his father to look at all athletes a little differently. I know from reading the BDN that Scott’s experiencing some challenges right now, but I hope Coach Whitehead and others at the University might see this letter, and at least consider the impact, that the class, demeanor and kindness of one student-athlete had on one little boy and his family.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/138748.html
                              Last edited by True Blue Fan; 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Best wishes to Darling as he deals with his personal issues.

It would be a great story to see Wilson come in and do well; it could also set an example to Darling, as Wilson's had some issues in his past. He dealt with them, and is still with the team. If nothing else, it may give Darling some extra hope, that Whitehead will stick with him.

As an outside observer, I am frustrated with the lack of information regarding Darling's suspension. I understand the privacy of player, but I'm very curious what he must have done. Credit to Whitehead for standing by team rules, eve in the postseason, especially with Maine's recent struggles the past few years.

I'd be curious to know what the fan reaction is, overall; many posters have been reasonable, but what about the rest of the Maine followers? Must be a tough pill to swallow, having your top goalie benched against a very capable playoff opponent.
                                I haven't been on here in a year...
                                Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X