No announcement yet.

Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
    You are wrong DU alum!
    I do not believe 'Lack of SuCCess' is a DU alum or a DU fan, but I could be wrong. He/she has taken some shots at the Pioneers as well as the Tigers.

Perhaps he/she could clarify his allegiances here?

Comment

Just remember where CC was prior to Lucia coming in. When I started watching college hockey as a very young lad, CC was in the cellar of the WCHA repeatedly.
      Obviously, no one wants to be a perennial "almost," but things could be a hell of a lot worse.
      CC has some disadvantages with the kind of school they are and the conference they play in. In all honesty, I've been impressed with Owens' ability to keep the team relevant in the national picture year in and year out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        In all honesty, I've been impressed with Owens' ability to keep the team relevant in the national picture year in and year out.
        In the past five years they have been relevant ONCE. I am not saying Owens does or doesn't deserve to be fired, but EVERY year CC completely craps the bed at the end of the season. CC is 5-12 over the past five years in postseason play. That includes the first round of the WCHA playoffs.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          I do not believe 'Lack of SuCCess' is a DU alum or a DU fan, but I could be wrong. He/she has taken some shots at the Pioneers as well as the Tigers.

Perhaps he/she could clarify his allegiances here?
          An analogy:
          Scott Owens: Coaching
          Barack Obama: President

I am a DISGRUNTLED CC fan. Even as I am disgusted by the late season collapses of the Tigers I will never support the Pioneers.

Fire SCOTTY Owens

Comment

Originally posted by LackofSuCCess View Post
            An analogy:

I am a DISGRUNTLED CC fan. Even as I am disgusted by the late season collapses of the Tigers I will never support the Pioneers.

Fire SCOTTY Owens
            Thanks for clarifying your allegiances.

Comment

An analogy:
              Fire SCOTTY Owens
              At least Owens had some worthwhile experience when he got the job.

Does Buetow still live in the area? Maybe he would be willing to come back ans right the ship.

Comment

I nominate this thread for "Worst Thread Ever".
                Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                  I nominate this thread for "Worst Thread Ever".
                  Second.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

An analogy:

Fire SCOTTY Owens
                    C'mon don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel?
                    There is Hope . . .

Comment

Only if they can find a replacement who also has a jheri-curl.
                      Cornell University Men's Hockey
                      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

An analogy:
                        Fail. Obama has a national championship.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I know I shouldn't feed the troll - oh well.

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          When you think about what CC has accomplished with who are they are (a tiny private liberal arts school), and and where they were in the early 90s (almost lost the program altogether) it's really kind of a miracle that that they consistently fall into the top 15-20 programs nationally every year, and ocassionally break into the top 5-10. Owens wins 55-60% of his games year in and year out which compares favorably to other WCHA coaches. His only real problem has been getting over the hump in the post season.

My take on CC is that they have good talent, but they wear down in the second half playing in the WCHA meatgrinder, which does this to a lot of teams. Why this happens more often with CC is something of mystery. It used to be that CC had a smaller team, which could explain some of it, but lately, they've recruited some larger players. It could be the weight room/training aspect. Or it could be the players tire of the coaching message or get worn down by the rigorous academics. The reality is that CC, as a school, is probably very happy with the highly competitive program they have. They draw very well, they graduate players, they make money and they beat schools 20 times larger they are each year. Some CC fans may not think that's enough, but in the broad scheme of things, CC has it much better than most programs. CC fans may want more post season success, but is that realistic when you are playing so many schools with the serious ambition and larger resources?
                          As is often the case, Swami is correct, so I wanted to quote the entire post.

CC has the toughest admissions requirements of any WCHA team. Their 2008 Acceptance rate was 26% (compared with DU's 64%), and 66% of their incoming freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class (compared with DU's 35%). I'm not trying to knock DU - it's a very good school - but the differences there are stark. Recruiting walk-ons? Total annual cost at CC is over $50k! That makes it pretty tough to recruit walk-ons. When competing with schools like MN and UND that can let pretty much anyone in and don't charge nearly as much, it's tough to compete. There are some very good players that have tried to get into CC (and one I know of to DU) who ended up at UND in particular because they couldn't get past the admissions department. These are guys who have had stellar careers, and might have made the difference in winning more hardware. Yet Owens still has a 0.630 all-time winning percentage, a few regular season trophies, and leads teams that are competitive every year.

It seems as though many people in our society count success only when a team or individual hoists a trophy after their last game. I don't buy it. I think Scott Owens has done a spectacular job in a number of areas - graduation rates, academic all-americans, developing people and players, running a very clean program, representing the school well, and on and on and on. As a hockey coach, he fields a competitive team every season despite having the most challenging set of circumstances of any WCHA coach. If the team were to sink back to UAA/MTU levels of futility, then I would jump on the "Fire Owens" bandwagon, but as long as he's having the kinds of success that he has, I absolutely support him!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            the most challenging set of circumstances of any WCHA coach.
                            While I agree with everything you've said (as well as Puck S), I think the above distinction goes unquestionably to Jamie Russel.
                            Tech has fairly difficult admissions themselves, hasn't had a successful team in about 35 years, and is a campus with a ratio of about 2:1 for male:female genitalia.
                            Plus, it's in ****ing Houghton.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              Fail. Obama has a national championship.
                              This was truly funny. Great response. However, unlike Scotty Owens it's unlikely the American people will give this President another term given his substantial shortcomings.

CC's hockey program is taking a nose-dive, which will be paralleled only by the nosedive of Greece's Economy.

FIRE SCOTTY OWENS!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                                While I agree with everything you've said (as well as Puck S), I think the above distinction goes unquestionably to Jamie Russel.
                                Tech has fairly difficult admissions themselves, hasn't had a successful team in about 35 years, and is a campus with a ratio of about 2:1 for male:female genitalia.
                                Plus, it's in ****ing Houghton.
                                All true points except for selectivity of admissions. By virtue of its location, Tech has to admit more people than they probably would if the university were located in the southern Lower Peninsula.

So they admit more than one might think (the average ACT score of each incoming class is only about 26), to account for actual enrollment, plus the inevitable first year attrition when probably 20-25% or so realize they can't handle the academics or the winter weather or the lack of the female species (or some combination of those three).

Nonetheless, it is my opinion that Tech's problems have more to do with lack of recent success than anything else (though bad luck on the recruiting trail in the last three years has not helped). Compounding the problem is that Grade 'A' recruits generally want to play with other Grade 'A' recruits, most of whom are headed for the heavyweights of the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X