No announcement yet.

Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Was at the under 18 game last night. Huge turnout at the CSWA - probably a stretch to say 1000 people... Terrible crowd to see the next group of young, talented hockey players in the USA.
    "When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back." -- Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Summerzzzoff View Post
      Was at the under 18 game last night. Huge turnout at the CSWA - probably a stretch to say 1000 people... Terrible crowd to see the next group of young, talented hockey players in the USA.
      It's not just a CC issue. DU had perhaps 2,000 in the house to watch Team USA on Saturday and perhaps 1,000 in the house on Sunday to watch Lethbridge, even though the offical attendence listed was far higher (5K and 4K), based on tickets sold. I think most hockey fans in Colorado are just not into Pre-Season Exhibition Games, and would rather eat thier tickets than show up. Having gorgeous summerlike weather probably didn't help either...

Comment

Gorgeous summerlike weather was EXACTLY why I drove down to the arena. Cool off a little!
        "When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back." -- Herb Brooks

Comment

CC fans may be interested in the Without a Peer podcast this week - we will have RPI head coach Seth Appert and Colorado Springs Gazette writer Joe Paisley as our guests, with the main topic of discussion for both being the upcoming CC/RPI weekend.

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/10/...ppert-joe.html
          Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            CC fans may be interested in the Without a Peer podcast this week - we will have RPI head coach Seth Appert and Colorado Springs Gazette writer Joe Paisley as our guests, with the main topic of discussion for both being the upcoming CC/RPI weekend.
            Will they be discussing firing Coach Owens?

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
              I didn't see a better thread to put this in - sorry if I missed it.
              Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                I didn't see a better thread to put this in - sorry if I missed it.
                Dumb thread title, but here it is.

Comment

Maybe they'll finally discuss who should replace him and then realize there aren't really any better options available.

Comment

Dumb thread title, but here it is.
                    Sorry gave that thread a lame name. Because COHockey is a super original screen name!

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      Maybe they'll finally discuss who should replace him and then realize there aren't really any better options available.
                      Replace him with Frank Serratore

Comment

Replace him with Frank Serratore
                        What makes you think he would be successful at CC?

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                          What makes you think he would be successful at CC?
                          While at CC Owens has coddled and enabled his players to make crappy choices. The wheels are falling off the program. It's time to bring in a fiery no nonsense guy that is exciting.

From AFA Website
                          A short conversation with coach Frank Serratore makes your pulse race a little faster. His enthusiasm and energy for Air Force hockey are that powerful. As the fourth head coach in the 40 years of Air Force hockey, Serratore was in his office less than a week when he pointed out what it would take to turn the program around.

"We want to be the hardest working team in the country," Serratore said. "We want to have a team full of over-achievers. Not everyone is blessed with outstanding ability, but everyone can work hard and play with pride and spirit."

Another snippet from same website :
                          Serratore was the head coach at the University of Denver from 1990-1994. During that time, he led the Pioneers to a 49-91-9 record in four seasons and is credited with rebuilding a struggling Pioneer program. In 1995 and 1997, Pioneer teams which were recruited during his tenure made two NCAA final eight appearances and placed third in the WCHA. Serratore was responsible for improving an out-dated program. The greatest success of his stint in Denver was the increase in attendance. In his first season, home attendance had dipped below 70 percent of the capacity. When he left, DU attendance was up to 93 percent of capacity, one of the top attendance marks in the country.

Not only has Serratore turned the Falcon program around, he has led it into unchartered waters.

Each of the last two seasons, not only have his teams been among the hardest working in the country, but have been among the best in the country. Serratore has led the Falcons to back-to-back league championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. Not only have the Falcons been in the tournament, but his teams have nearly upset two of the top teams in the nation.
                          Last edited by Summerzzzoff; 10-06-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Interesting points. It didn't work for Serratore while he was at DU. Not all his fault. While he has done very well at AFA, can he keep it up? There was a bit of a decline last year. It seems to me that he likes the challenge at AFA and if going to CC was a possibility for him he would probably turn it down.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                              Interesting points. It didn't work for Serratore while he was at DU. Not all his fault. While he has done very well at AFA, can he keep it up? There was a bit of a decline last year. It seems to me that he likes the challenge at AFA and if going to CC was a possibility for him he would probably turn it down.
                              I don't think Serratore would turn down an opportunity to coach in the WCHA again. His brother is head coach at Bemidji - would make for fun Christmas gatherings for the Serratore Family! Recruiting kids to CC is a breeze - Owens essentially gets handed kids, he doesn't have the personality to really convince a kid to come to CC. CC Season Ticket holders have significantly declined over the past few years, the product on the ice hasn't been exciting either. A new coach, a new philosophy, a new beginning is what CC really needs!
                              AFA can't pay a coach like CC could. Just like why Troy Calhoun will eventually leave the AFA football program for a big school. It's simply a matter of time before CC reads the writing on the wall and moves in another direction.

Comment

I don't think Serratore would turn down an opportunity to coach in the WCHA again. His brother is head coach at Bemidji - would make for fun Christmas gatherings for the Serratore Family! Recruiting kids to CC is a breeze - Owens essentially gets handed kids, he doesn't have the personality to really convince a kid to come to CC. CC Season Ticket holders have significantly declined over the past few years, the product on the ice hasn't been exciting either. A new coach, a new philosophy, a new beginning is what CC really needs!
                                AFA can't pay a coach like CC could. Just like why Troy Calhoun will eventually leave the AFA football program for a big school. It's simply a matter of time before CC reads the writing on the wall and moves in another direction.
                                I actually think Owens is a good recruiter. He had a big hand in bringing the class with McNeil, Remackel, Schmidt, Geronazzo and Bach and that class got the program turned around. I like what I see with our Freshmen and Sophomores this year but I just think they are too young to contend. If we don't have success with these two classes starting next year then I might agree that it might be time to replace Owens.

Comment

Working...
                                X