Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
    This is my biggest pet peeve with women's hockey by a longshot. Doesn't matter if we are talking about HC events, PWHL, NCAA, Can or US tourneys, IIHF, Olympics....time and time again even in big games the qualify of the officiating provided is friggin pathetic.

The Canadian ref who was at the Olympics is a regular PWHL ref. And she is nowhere close to one of the best refs even in that league, though not one of the worst either. Although no one believes me, PWHL reffing (which most think is awful, and it is awful compared to equivalent levels in boys hockey) is still a whole lot better on average than in D1.

You would think the best officials possible would be suitably rewarded to ref the biggest games in each league. Rarely happens. Instead these are often viewed as "training opportunities".

You would think the emphasis should be on getting the best officials regardless of gender. Never happens. Has to be females even though most of them are brutal. Politics trumps competence every time. This is outright gender discrimination, worthy of lodging a human rights challenge.

At the VERY least then, what is needed is multi-camera video replay for all games. We obviously can't rely on the officials to even be in the right position, much less make the right call.
    What a shame that such a great game had to be tainted. I agree that for such an important game, there should be video reply, especially with the poor officiating there is in Women's hockey. If you are a Canadian player, you cannot feel good about winning in a way that will forever be questioned. As an American you forever think because of potentially poor reffing, you may have had a victory snatched from you. Instant replay is widely used now, and is used in lesser games. Time to correct this problem from happening again. Too bad for all involved!!

Comment

*****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs450.ash1/24786_108337075865454_100000674867871_104212_37439 31_n.jpg******

If this isn't enough proof, i dont know what is

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        Players from last night are too young for Coors and Cigars !......
        Yeah, right. I'll have some of what you're smokin'!

Comment

Originally posted by HockE7 View Post
          *****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs450.ash1/24786_108337075865454_100000674867871_104212_37439 31_n.jpg******

Crikey!

The only thing that would render that a no goal would be if the referee blew the play down or had the intention to blow it down while bringing the whistle to the mouth...as I understand it.

Clearly the puck was in the net. Inexplicable beyond the above...

Comment

I think the one thing we should all recognize is that, in the eyes of those who were there to decide, the Canadians won. I have issue with the calls that were made, and will be with Ms. Coyne in my belief that the puck she shot went in the net, but that isn't what the officials ruled.

The best discussion that can arise from this is the need for consistent and qualified officiating. I'm not just talking about on ice, but it needs to start there.

My thoughts:
            1) The pace of the play was such that the officials were not ready / able to position themselves to make unquestioned decisions.

2) The off ice officials were quite possibly distracted by the play, and lost focus on the job at hand (policing the goal line)

3) There was no official "replay". There were a number of sources that had some version of the event, but none who had an official position. There were net cameras at each end, but for the photog's use, and discretion. The game was filmed for paying onlilne customers, but not viable for replay.

We have (thankfully) gotten to the point where the players are so good they are challenging the officials.

Let's hope they meet that challenge.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by HockE7 View Post

Sorry, if the puck is in the air which it appears, it proves nothing. Could be an optical illusion. The angle is wrong to be conclusive. Keep trying, someone out there must have a better angle but I'm afraid the only conclusive angle might be from overhead. Was anyone in the rafters? Again, I am aware from most of the reaction that the puck was likely in, but it has to be without question.

Comment

Looks like it's on the ice to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  I think the one thing we should all recognize is that, in the eyes of those who were there to decide, the Canadians won.
                  Definitely. Once a call is made and the puck is dropped again, that IS what happened, whether or not it actually transpired in the physical universe. At least in this case, it wasn't a call that ended the game, and the USA still had chances to hold the lead or get it back. Congratulations to Canada on their win, and to the US on a valiant effort for which they need make no apology.

The shame in this championship, beyond the obvious lack of video replay, is that these two excellent teams only met once during the event. Yes, we'd like better officiating, but isn't that almost always the case.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uzWPYtrTzI

Comment

That's better... Good job Taxi. How in the heck did the ref miss that? She was looking right at it!

Comment

Would it have helped if it was a four (wo)man crew instead of three?

I believe under IIHF they continue to handle the women's game with three and the men's game with four.... much to the chagrin of most of the women's game supporters that I know.

Comment

That was the lines-person in the corner and yes she should have made the call, however you will also notice the REFEREE standing still at the far blue line watching Coyne and Lorence scream by her. She made no attempt to even start moving with them. She stood flat footed in a World Championship game. No way she was even close to being inside the USA Offensive Zone
                          I am pretty sure having seen the goal, all be it a bit grainy, the puck entered the net glove side and exited the opposite side. Again there was/is no pipe ringing sound and as you could see by that video the shot was super human in relation to Ms. Coynes stature (congrats on such great skill you possess if you ever read this) There is no possible way the puck could come straight out of the far side pipe with out first going in the net. The puck hit the center bar top shelf on the pad deflected downward and off the inside left post and out.
                          This puck was not nestled in behind a goalie pad and 600 pounds of NHL caliber human mass as one poster mentioned. Also Hux's picture were dead on and he deserves an apology for the other comment insinuating he doctored the photos. Not only is Tara to blame but so is the lines-person, not a better seat in the house to see that GOAL and you missed it. Over 1000 fans saw the goal from every angle and in every seat of the arena and you missed it from 12 feet. In fact if that shot would have hit the crossbar you would have been eating that puck based on geometry.
                          You no longer have the one thing any on ice official strives for, integrity. It is gone for good and your ineptness should be public record. I have no problem calling you out on this site and I have no problem calling out whoever allowed this officiating crew on the ice in this tournament.
                          20 girls work hard their entire life to develop the skills necessary to climb to this level of play and you allow bush league newbies on the ice to officiate.
                          But hey women all over the globe can be happy that there were 3 women on the ice to officiate this game......next time do the right thing and find GOOD refs not just female refs.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelerdealer View Post
                            That was the lines-person in the corner and yes she should have made the call, however you will also notice the REFEREE standing still at the far blue line watching Coyne and Lorence scream by her. She made no attempt to even start moving with them. She stood flat footed in a World Championship game. No way she was even close to being inside the USA Offensive Zone
                            I am pretty sure having seen the goal, all be it a bit grainy, the puck entered the net glove side and exited the opposite side. Again there was/is no pipe ringing sound and as you could see by that video the shot was super human in relation to Ms. Coynes stature (congrats on such great skill you possess if you ever read this) There is no possible way the puck could come straight out of the far side pipe with out first going in the net. The puck hit the center bar top shelf on the pad deflected downward and off the inside left post and out.
                            This puck was not nestled in behind a goalie pad and 600 pounds of NHL caliber human mass as one poster mentioned. Also Hux's picture were dead on and he deserves an apology for the other comment insinuating he doctored the photos. Not only is Tara to blame but so is the lines-person, not a better seat in the house to see that GOAL and you missed it. Over 1000 fans saw the goal from every angle and in every seat of the arena and you missed it from 12 feet. In fact if that shot would have hit the crossbar you would have been eating that puck based on geometry.
                            You no longer have the one thing any on ice official strives for, integrity. It is gone for good and your ineptness should be public record. I have no problem calling you out on this site and I have no problem calling out whoever allowed this officiating crew on the ice in this tournament.
                            20 girls work hard their entire life to develop the skills necessary to climb to this level of play and you allow bush league newbies on the ice to officiate.
                            But hey women all over the globe can be happy that there were 3 women on the ice to officiate this game......next time do the right thing and find GOOD refs not just female refs.
                            My comment regarding Hux's photo being photoshopped was tongue-in-cheek hence the . I'm Canadian and I was trying to be funny. I trust everyone saw the humor that was intended. If not get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                              My comment regarding Hux's photo being photoshopped was tongue-in-cheek hence the . I'm Canadian and I was trying to be funny. I trust everyone saw the humor that was intended. If not get a life.
                              Sorry I do not get those emotion faces, misunderstanding. You said it your self, you are Canadian......That means you don't have to TRY to be funny

Comment

I just found the lines persons names on the game recap.
                                BJORKMAN Therese (SWE) , ROY Helene(CAN)
                                Anyone know which is in the photos? No wonder the lines person missed so many icing and offside calls following the goal, guilt had to have over taken her.

Comment

Working...
                                X