• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Originally posted by taxicab View Post
    LEIGHTON Tara (USA)
    Ref in the Championship game. Is a total
    DISGRACE to stripes. USA needs to do something about her.

Calls the GWG a no goal. EVERYONE has it on film. Fasthock calls
    it a goal. Everyone in the rink called it a goal but, TARA.

Look for her
    to ruin USA Hockey Nationals next week in Green Bay, Wisc.
    ALOT more explanation (and some video evidence) would be helpful before you neg rep someone like this (even a ref) publicly.
    Last edited by videohockey; 04-04-2010, 12:30 AM.
    "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

LEIGHTON Tara (USA)

Look for her
      the hair splitting begins.... part of the game.

Comment

LEIGHTON Tara (USA)

Look for her
        Didn't see the game, but this is from the article above.

The game turned once and for all halfway through the period when Coyne made a sensational end-to-end rush and appeared to score a goal. However, referee Tara Leighton of the U.S. ruled the puck did not enter the net, and the score remained 4-3 for the Americans. The call was gutsy and controversial, but television evidence later suggested it was also correct.

Comment

Originally posted by toots View Post
          Hux, did you make in it for the semis/finals? You didn't stop by to say hello
          To be honest, I forgot about you being in the box...and the rink staff wasn't exactly accomodating about anyone being on the bench side of the rink..even with credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by Redhouse View Post
            Didn't see the game, but this is from the article above.

The game turned once and for all halfway through the period when Coyne made a sensational end-to-end rush and appeared to score a goal. However, referee Tara Leighton of the U.S. ruled the puck did not enter the net, and the score remained 4-3 for the Americans. The call was gutsy and controversial, but television evidence later suggested it was also correct.
            Television evidence? Bullpoop. I have the photos that CLEARLY show the puck in the net. I'll put them up later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Television evidence? Bullpoop. I have the photos that CLEARLY show the puck in the net. I'll put them up later tonight.
              So Hux, no goal judges at this event? Is that normal?

Comment

Pay 5.99 & get the game on Fasthockey.com.

at the 10:26 mark in the 3rd period . Usa scores the winning goal. It is clear as day in color.

No question about it. Disgrace. She should not be allowed to Ref again.
                Maybe beer league but nothing as important as a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
                There will be a million pics on line soon.

USA actually wins 5-4.

Comment

Originally posted by videohockey View Post
                  So Hux, no goal judges at this event? Is that normal?
                  Oh, there was a goal judge alright. And the red light was on.

Comment

at the 10:26 mark in the 3rd period . Usa scores the winning goal. It is clear as day in color.

USA actually wins 5-4.
                    I'm asking for an explanation of the play, the situation, the circumstances, etc.... It's simple and reasonable.
                    Last edited by videohockey; 04-04-2010, 01:02 AM.

Comment

An American Ref , reffing an American game in the states?How? 2n 2 are not 4.

Comment

Originally posted by videohockey View Post
                        I'm asking for an explanation of the play, the situation, the circumstances, etc.... It's simple and reasonable.
                        Top shelf, comes down inside the left post on edge (if facing the net) and shoots out on edge.

Comment

This goal was so obvious there was NO question about it. No one can figure
                          out where the call came from. It is so pathetic. To take a game away from
                          these players is horrible. This ref ALWAYS wants to be part of the game.
                          Every USA nationals she does this kind of stuff. Who is she why is she allowed to do this over and over again. Its just not fair to the players. She
                          needs to learn its not about her its about the players.

Comment

I thought it was a goal as did everyone in the scorers box, but we were half the sheet away. We had a great view of what the goalie gave Coyne and Coyne appeared to have nailed it.

I never saw the ref give the goal signal, but did see her give the no-goal after she and linesman conferred in the ref circle. The Zamboni doors were opened, the goal judge came over to chat with the refs face-to-face and the "no goal" was then "confirmed." The words repeated to us were the puck hit the crossbar but did not go in.

I want to see the evidence. Coyne had a hard time leaving the ice after this call. She was not at all belligerent, but incredulous.

Comment

Check this out about this ref. She gets to do the U18 after just mere days
                              of getting her license. God, help us if she is allowed in Sochi. She should stick to her high school games. Honey, you need to climb down from your
                              ladder & realize you just cost the USA the World Championship. You owe
                              each and every one of those USA players a public apology and admit you
                              made the mistake of your life. Pictures don't lie !

"Fateful day" yes it is for all of USA.

Fairbanks hockey referee Tara Leighton climbs officiating ladder
                              by Randy Zarnke / For The News-Miner
                              02.02.10 - 02:40 am
                              FAIRBANKS - Fairbanks ice hockey referee Tara Leighton has made a meteoric rise through the officiating ranks and is at the point in her career where she is qualified to do her job at the highest level.

While she won’t be working in Vancouver for the Winter Oympics later this month, she is quietly eyeing the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia.

“That would be a dream come true,” Leighton said during a recent interview.

Leighton, 27, was born and raised in Fairbanks and began playing hockey at age 7. She played in the Fairbanks Amateur Hockey Association until the Alaska Icebreakers were formed.

She started officiating games when she was 11 years old.

“I did it strictly for the money back then,” Leighton said. “I only stuck with it for a couple of years.”

As a player, she wasn’t the kindest person on the ice when it came time to dealing with the officials.

“During a district tournament game, referee Mark Norum kinda challenged me by saying, ‘If you think you can do better, then you should become a ref,’” Leighton said. “I accepted that challenge.”

Since that fateful day, Leighton’s officiating career has been on an upward course. She progressed quickly through all the local levels of hockey, and now works high school and Fairbanks Ice Dogs games on a regular basis. Leighton was evaluated at each level as she moved up through the ranks. The evaluations became more formal at the high levels.

“They focus on the obvious things like knowledge of the rules and ability to properly implement those rules,” she said. “In addition, there is a more subjective factor involving how well you manage the players and coaches.”

Leighton reaped the benefits from the evaluation process.

“I’ve learned something from every person who has evaluated me,” she said. “Apparently, the people who were judging me liked what they saw.”

USA Hockey Alaska Referee-in-Chief Chris Milles of Fairbanks recommended Leighton be considered for training and officiating opportunities at the highest levels.

“Tara had already been officiating state and district tournament games with success, so the logical progression was exposure at the national level,” Milles said. “With her success on the boys side, everyone knew she had the background to officiate women’s games. Based upon the assignments she has gotten, she is doing very well.

“The local officials are very supportive of Tara and want to see her be successful on the international level,” Milles added

Leighton was one of nine officials invited to the USA Hockey Women’s Region Camp in 2006.

A year later, she was invited to the national camp. In 2008, she participated in the elite camp.

“In order to referee international games, it is necessary to earn a license from the International Ice Hockey Federation,” she said. “I knew that the Elite camp was my big test. I must have done OK. I got the license shortly after the camp.”

Officiating opportunities really took off for Leighton after she acquired her IIHF license.

“They tell you not to expect immediate assignments, but I worked the U-18 Women’s series within days of getting my license in August of last year (2008), and then the Four Nations Cup in November,” she said.

Leighton went to Harbin, China, for the World University Games in February 2009, and then worked one of the Qwest Tour games last October in Spokane, Wash. She plans to work the U-18 Women’s World Championships in March in Chicago.

“Tara has progressed rapidly through the USA Hockey officiating program,” said Matt Leaf, director of the Officiating Education Program for USA Hockey. “That’s due primarily to her attitude and work ethic. We have confidence that she will do a great job every time that she steps on the ice.”

Leighton acknowledges that the big stage brings inherent pressure.

“I don’t get goo excited,” she said. “Even if I am a little nervous, I can’t let the players or coaches see it.”

Leighton has had few problems with coaches at the upper levels of women’s hockey.

“They may ask a question or request an interpretation of a rule, but they aren’t screamers,” she said.

The language barrier hasn’t been a problem, either.

“Most of the international coaches speak English,” she said. “If not, they have an assistant or a player to help out. That makes it easier for me.”

In addition to her on-ice responsibilities, Tara has enjoyed traveling to new places.

“Lake Placid is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen,” Leighton said. Rural China was a culture shock. The poverty and crowded conditions made me appreciate the life that we have here in the States.”

If things continue to progress for Leighton, she justmight be working at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

© newsminer.com 2010

Comment

USA actually wins 5-4.
                                Could you point me toward the million pics.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X