Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
    Canada U18's lost to an OWHA select team 3-2 tonight. Were also shut out in a shootout competition 1-0.

This result illustrates the phenomenal depth of the talent pool in the PWHL, and the strength of goaltending as well, given the winning team was outshot more than 2 to 1.

The Canada U18's have been practicing together as a team since Saturday; the team they played was thrown together at the last minute for tonight's game and most of these players' seasons have been finished for 1-3 weeks.

Perhaps even more noteworthy was the fact that more than a dozen Team Ontario players who won national gold and silver medals did not even participate in this contest due to injuries, Provincial HS championship conflicts, etc....including a few who had been part of the Team Canada "final 40" selection camps in the summer.

Here is the game report:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...26/la_id/1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Canada U18's played an exhibition game tonight against an OUA select team and lost 4-2. They will play an OWHA U18 select team tomorrow.
      And the game report for the Tuesday game:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...25/la_id/1.htm

Comment

Captains announced for TC.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...06/la_id/1.htm

Comment

And the game report for the Tuesday game:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...25/la_id/1.htm
          Our U18's got their arses handed to them twice pre tournament. How do you assess their chances in Chicago?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
            Our U18's got their arses handed to them twice pre tournament. How do you assess their chances in Chicago?
            I saw one of those games. They will have to work on putting the puck in the net. The road to the final should be straight forward (The team is loaded with talent and speed). I'd say their chances are 50/50 vs the US. While they had a game breaker in Poulin in years prior, I think they have more depth and a more experienced club this year. I'll fill you in tomorrow off line.
            Last edited by OnMAA; 03-25-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

That means all three TC U18 Captains since its inception three years ago will be playing for Cornell next year.
              Last edited by mattj711; 03-25-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                I'm by no means in the minority in being amazed they failed to take the top two PWHL points leaders from Ontario. One of these didn't even play in the game last night; the other had a goal and assist against TC. And since it seems evident this team may have issues with scoring......

Comment

Czech U18 vs Chicago Mission U19 (girls) 1:1

Japan U18 vs Chicago Mission U16 (girls) 6:2

Comment

Sweden U18 vs Chicago Mission U19 (girls) 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by evawnepo View Post
                      Will any of the games being televised? Considering this year, the 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship is in the US?
                      Game viewing from the comfort of home will be available through Fast Hockey.

Canada vs. Russia @ 5:00PM EST

USA vs. Japan @ 8:30 EST
                      Last edited by Hux; 03-27-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

7-0 USA at the end of the 2nd period. Fasthockey doesn't offer any stats.

Comment

11-1 USA wins.

Comment

Tournament Live Stats/Line Charts/Recaps/Stats from the IIHF are available here

USA Scoring Summary from Tonight:
                            1st Period
                            11:57 - AMMERMAN B (1) from HICKEL Z
                            16:00 - CARPENTER A

2nd Period
                            23:41 - FRY L (1) from MANGENE M
                            28:51 - AMMERMAN B (2) from BIZZARI M
                            31:08 - BONA R (1) from PFALZER E
                            39:45 - HICKEL Z (1) from SLAVIN J and CARPENTER A
                            39:57 - SKARUPA H (1) from LORENCE M

3rd Period
                            49:18 - COYNE K (1) from GEDMAN M and SLAVIN J
                            52:49 - COYNE K (2) from MANGENE M and PELKEY A
                            56:09 - COYNE K (3) from PELKEY A
                            56:51 - AMMERMAN B (3) from BIZZARI M and 12 PICARD M

Both Coyne and Ammerman picked up Hat Tricks for the USA

Edit: Coyne received the US Player of the Game Award. I personally thought Ammerman was a force in all three periods while Coyne was pretty much a non factor until her Natural Hat Trick in the 3rd. Japan did a good job of limiting her in the first and looked really tired as the game wore on. Not competitive and rather boring to watch overall.
                            Last edited by WHKY blogger; 03-27-2010, 10:32 PM.
                            The WCHA Dynasty
                            Wisconsin
                            National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                            MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                            National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                            MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                            National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                            MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Attendance for Today's Games:
                              Finland v. Czech Republic - 152
                              Canada v. Russia - 170
                              Germany v. Sweden - 100
                              Japan v. USA - 312

The IIHF and USA Hockey should be ashamed of their efforts. One newspaper article was all I saw. None of the restaurants I went to or places I stopped in the area were aware of the event. I Watched bits of the Finland-Czech and Germany-Sweden games and all of the Canada-Russia and Japan-USA games. One of the Mission teams was in the lobby dropping or loading gear between games (I would go with U12 by the looks of the kids) and the parents were unaware of the event being held until they arrived here saw the banners and had trouble getting into their area. You would think that given one of their own (Coyne) is playing for the USA and the Event is at their HOME RINK they would be aware and have their girls in attendance watching as much as possible. Only saw a few stay around and watch. Totally disappointing and not what I expected.

I would rank the teams after today

1. USA
                              2. Canada
                              3. Finland
                              4. Sweden
                              5. Germany
                              6. Russia
                              7. Czech Republic
                              8. Japan

Will be back on Friday and Saturday to see more games. Hopefully there are more people here.
                              The WCHA Dynasty
                              Wisconsin
                              National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                              MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                              National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                              MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                              National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                              MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Illinois hockey (AHAI) has a history of not supporting girls hockey very well. And before anyone asks, yes I was a member of AHAI girl's committee in a past life. There are some great people involved but the politics burn out people almost as fast as new ones join.

Comment

Working...
                                X