Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    With the pictures and video I've seen since, clearly showing the puck, player and official positions on the ice...along with where we know the goal judge is, it really appears no camera work was needed to get this one right.
    Can't argue with that. So it appears....

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      In 1972 our family lived about a 5 hour car ride away from Munich. My dad worked at the site in 1971. What I remember the most from those games in order of importance/significance is the following:

1 - The Killing of the Israeli's and the subsequent botched shootout during the gettaway
      2 - Valery Borzov winning the Gold in the 100 after the Americans slept in during the earlier rounds.
      3 - The Mark Spitz 7 gold medals
      4 - Olga Corbut, the little Russian girl put Gymnastics on the map.
      5 - Reindeer Milk drinking Lasse Viren winning the 5K after a fall, and then later also winning the 10K
      6 - The USA loosing the gold in Basketball in a dramatic ending.
      7 - The Japanese getting upset by Ruska in Judo
      8 - American Shorter winning the gold in the Marathon after an imposter tried to claim victory first. Viren finishing 5th, failing in his bid to match Zatopek's triple in '52 in Helsinki.
      Just to make sure we understand that somethings don't change, even after 38 years, I recall that Lasse Viren was almost disqualified due to blood doping. He took a pint of his blood out a month before the games, and reinjected it just prior to competing. Think of all those extra red blood cells carrying oxygen to his muscles.

And, by the way, women refs have a long, long way to go. What I find most apalling is not that they are out of position, because I've seen many men with the same problem. The biggest weakness I've noticed is the women official's inability to keep their calls consistent.

Comment

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/CloseCall.jpg******
        Close Call: Alex Carpenter drove the net from the left wing and backhanded a shot that was turned aside. Haley Skarupa crashed in from the right wing and was able to get the puck through. However, Canada's Jillian Saulnier saves the day, getting her stick on the puck at the last possible moment.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
          Plug, you're silly, uninformed and you can't read. Let it go. I'm not going to argue with you. Read the last few pages again and you'll see. Especially the reference to the people who have created a "new math" (not to mention the "in your society" thing) and the "How dare you" crap. You started it and I ended it. Fair enough?
          What????? The only thing that makes sense in your above comment is to let this go, which I will, as all your rude, and not well thought out criticisms have no place on this site!!!

Comment

Would it suffice if Canada gave back the Gold Medals, had our Prime Minister wear a USA jersey for the day, fly the stars and stripes on Parliment Hill & send you down a case of Molson's?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
              ... send you down a case of Molson's?
              Make it Kokanee....we don't want them to feel cheated AGAIN!

Comment

Would it suffice if Canada gave back the Gold Medals, had our Prime Minister wear a USA jersey for the day, fly the stars and stripes on Parliment Hill & send you down a case of Molson's?
                I don't know about all the stuff you listed, but I will take a case of Molson's

As one young lady from the USA team posted on her FB after the game: "Anyone can be a great winner, but only the best can be gracious losers- team USA 2010"

I say those are wise words coming from one of the players involved, perhaps some of us adults could take heed.

Congrats again Team Canada on winning the Gold and congrats to both both teams for giving their best for us fans to enjoy.
                GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                  Make it Kokanee....we don't want them to feel cheated AGAIN!
                  Screw that...we're keeping our Kokanee....

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                    Just to make sure we understand that somethings don't change, even after 38 years, I recall that Lasse Viren was almost disqualified due to blood doping. He took a pint of his blood out a month before the games, and reinjected it just prior to competing. Think of all those extra red blood cells carrying oxygen to his muscles. .
                    Couple of notes/corrections/clarifications on facts:
                    1 - The alleged Blood doping was not in Munich, it was four years later at the Montreal games, where he repeated the 5/10 double.
                    2 - There was no sanctioning, as blood doping was not illegal at the time.
                    3 - The temporary disqualification was for taking off his shoes and waving them to the public in Montreal during the victory lap after his first win, in the process displaying the label of the sponsor, a no no for the Olympic committee. He was re-instated a day later after an appeal to allow him to complete the double. (At the time the olympics were very amateuristic, and even more regimented in those aspects as today). Poeple were technically not even allowed to be sponsored by clothing/shoe/equipment manufactures. Remember the Franz Klammer saga from Innsbruck..
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Screw that...we're keeping our Kokanee....
                      Is it better than Molson's, I might have to do a taste test
                      GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                        Is it better than Molson's, I might have to do a taste test
                        Oh ya gotice way better. Brewed in the Rockies with pure mountain water.

It's like having an angel pee on your toungue.

Only people that drink Molson's are from Waaaay East of here.

Cept of course our transplanted pain in the arse, left coaster...Seymore.

He's hooked on the stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                          *****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/CloseCall.jpg******
                          Close Call: Alex Carpenter drove the net from the left wing and backhanded a shot that was turned aside. Haley Skarupa crashed in from the right wing and was able to get the puck through. However, Canada's Jillian Saulnier saves the day, getting her stick on the puck at the last possible moment.
                          Obviously Tara is in poor position to call this one had it gone in....After all there is white ice on either side of the goal line, very confusing!

By the way the Canadians have been gracious losers in many ways for aloooooong time is I suppose it is time we return the favor... (getting the hang of these smiley faces)

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                            And, by the way, women refs have a long, long way to go. What I find most apalling is not that they are out of position, because I've seen many men with the same problem. The biggest weakness I've noticed is the women official's inability to keep their calls consistent.
                            While I don't normally have a problem with refs in general, because I fully appreciate it's a very tough job where the pay scale doesn't justify all the criticism/abuse they take, I've certainly noticed the inconsistency amongst women officials. Not that they have exclusive rights to this, and maybe I notice it more by giving them extra scrutiny after having watched men officials for so many years. In any case, I think it's good to see women getting more and more involved, and the more experience they get the more consistent they should be over time.

All that said, I do think refs gain from having grown up playing the game, and the higher the level, the better. And at this point there are not that many women officials out there that have that experience, but over time it should come. In the meantime, I think SOME level of "affirmative action" is warranted, in order to further the progression, but in the highest levels of world competition such as this tournament, only the best available refs should be assigned, regardless of gender.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Oh ya gotice way better. Brewed in the Rockies with pure mountain water.

It's like having an angel pee on your toungue.

Only people that drink Molson's are from Waaaay East of here.

Cept of course our transplanted pain in the arse, left coaster...Seymore.

He's hooked on the stuff!
                              Sounds like I got to get me some, although "Brewed in the Rockies with pure mountain water", sounds a lot like Coors (not a favorite of mine)
                              GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                                Sounds like I got to get me some, although "Brewed in the Rockies with pure mountain water", sounds a lot like Coors (not a favorite of mine)
                                This beer actually has a taste and alcohol content...know what I mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X