2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship

Now we know that the puck was in. It appeared to go in glove side along the ice (nothing super human with all due respect) then cradled around the bottom circular area and then jumped over to the other side of the net and out. The Americans were robbed for a goal. We also know that Canada scored with 8 plus minutes left. Unfortunately, we will never know what could of or should of happened. We do know that the Americans still had plenty of time to win and they did not. The only thing that would have made this situation worse is if the game was decided by that play, and it was not. But it did influence the outcome to a degree and that's why you all feel so ripped off. This happens all the time. I just witnessed a boys MM AAA playoff game yesterday where the game was decided by a bad call. It sucks but **** happens.
    In the Olympics, the Canadian men gave up a late goal that may have crushed their confidence, but they found a way to win. The American girls should have found a way also. There was plenty of time to do so and the victory would have been sweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
      Now we know that the puck was in. It appeared to go in glove side along the ice (nothing super human with all due respect) then cradled around the bottom circular area and then jumped over to the other side of the net and out. The Americans were robbed for a goal. We also know that Canada scored with 8 plus minutes left. Unfortunately, we will never know what could of or should of happened. We do know that the Americans still had plenty of time to win and they did not. The only thing that would have made this situation worse is if the game was decided by that play, and it was not. But it did influence the outcome to a degree and that's why you all feel so ripped off. This happens all the time. I just witnessed a boys MM AAA playoff game yesterday where the game was decided by a bad call. It sucks but **** happens.
      In the Olympics, the Canadian men gave up a late goal that may have crushed their confidence, but they found a way to win. The American girls should have found a way also. There was plenty of time to do so and the victory would have been sweeter.
      I would like to see the video of this so called bad call You are absolutely correct but this no goal was only one of many missed calls, seemingly simple calls. What remains is what these officials are allowed to officiate after this....i say atoms. Hey 5 4 Fighting thanks fro showing me these smilies....Now I get it.

Comment

ARE YOU SERIOUS ! This "no goal" did not change the outcome. Wow, what kind of math do they have up there. It would have been over in regulation.
        The score should have been USA 5 Canada 4
        You act like scoring goals was something easy. This was a very good Canadian team. It took a play like that to win the game. How dare you now try to make this right. USA won the flipping game. Tara Leighton & her lazy liars called linesman took it away from them. Disgraceful.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
          Would it have helped if it was a four (wo)man crew instead of three?

I believe under IIHF they continue to handle the women's game with three and the men's game with four.... much to the chagrin of most of the women's game supporters that I know.
          No...what would help is if it was even a 2 man crew.

Comment

Originally posted by taxicab View Post
            ARE YOU SERIOUS ! This "no goal" did not change the outcome. Wow, what kind of math do they have up there. It would have been over in regulation.
            The score should have been USA 5 Canada 4
            You act like scoring goals was something easy. This was a very good Canadian team. It took a play like that to win the game. How dare you now try to make this right. USA won the flipping game. Tara Leighton & her lazy liars called linesman took it away from them. Disgraceful.
            Be careful where you step my friend.....When the score is 4 all, the play changes. When it's 5-4 and time is running out there is an all out assault, empty net etc. There are so many variables that you are not considering. We will never know what the true outcome of this game could have been. They still had a chance to win. I'm not trying to make anything right, it's your anger that's making a misread. What I do know is your comment was not only foolish but your lack of hockey knowledge comes through loud and clear.

Comment

Well here is food for thought (since I know nothing about hockey).
              The score would have been 5-3 with 10:26 seconds left. If YOU know anything about goaltender Alex Rigsby you would know she is NOT giving
              up 3 goals in 9:34. No way no how. I am pretty certain my friend with my
              limited knowledge of hockey that there are plenty that would agree with my
              ignorance. Now all of the sudden it is a one goal game. Everything changes my friend. This was the game changing goal. Call me all of the names in the world but, there are others who like know nothing about hockey but, would agree.

Comment

We will never know what the true outcome of this game could have been. They still had a chance to win.
                I agree. Any single hockey game takes one path through all possible outcomes. I don't believe one can ever conclude that if a single play somewhere prior to the game's end is changed that the rest of the contest would unfold exactly the same. By the rules the two teams were playing under, Canada won. Those of us in the USA may not like it, but it is important that we accept it.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I agree. Any single hockey game takes one path through all possible outcomes. I don't believe one can ever conclude that if a single play somewhere prior to the game's end is changed that the rest of the contest would unfold exactly the same. By the rules the two teams were playing under, Canada won. Those of us in the USA may not like it, but it is important that we accept it.
                  Spoken like a true pro Arm. You have to accept it as a character builder. These kids will be tougher and better for it.

Comment

Be careful where you step my friend.....When the score is 4 all, the play changes. When it's 5-4 and time is running out there is an all out assault, empty net etc. There are so many variables that you are not considering. We will never know what the true outcome of this game could have been. They still had a chance to win. I'm not trying to make anything right, it's your anger that's making a misread. What I do know is your comment was not only foolish but your lack of hockey knowledge comes through loud and clear.
                    That is so funny, I would say the exact same thing about you. Not much hockey knowledge coming from you, but it is clear you bleed Canadian Red, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
                      That is so funny, I would say the exact same thing about you. Not much hockey knowledge coming from you, but it is clear you bleed Canadian Red, and there is nothing wrong with that.
                      You can read it any way you want Plug. I was fair and respectful. Nothing to do with bleeding red, that's just what people like you want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        This is my biggest pet peeve with women's hockey by a longshot. Doesn't matter if we are talking about HC events, PWHL, NCAA, Can or US tourneys, IIHF, Olympics....time and time again even in big games the qualify of the officiating provided is friggin pathetic.

The Canadian ref who was at the Olympics is a regular PWHL ref. And she is nowhere close to one of the best refs even in that league, though not one of the worst either. Although no one believes me, PWHL reffing (which most think is awful, and it is awful compared to equivalent levels in boys hockey) is still a whole lot better on average than in D1.

You would think the best officials possible would be suitably rewarded to ref the biggest games in each league. Rarely happens. Instead these are often viewed as "training opportunities".

You would think the emphasis should be on getting the best officials regardless of gender. Never happens. Has to be females even though most of them are brutal. Politics trumps competence every time. This is outright gender discrimination, worthy of lodging a human rights challenge.

At the VERY least then, what is needed is multi-camera video replay for all games. We obviously can't rely on the officials to even be in the right position, much less make the right call.
                        IMHO part of the reffing problem is that in the whole events, there is simply only ONE game played at the pace the final is played at, and the reffing was not able to adjust to this level. Let's face it, the US and Can U18 teams would most likely end up in the Bronze medal match in the Olympics.

My point is that you need more seasoned officials in the final than in the rest of the games, due to the caliber of teams in the final. They (the teams in the final) deserved the best crew available period, and not a crew that is still coming up the ranks. Something the IIHF may want to consisder after reviewing this event. Besides, I don't think an official should be coming from a country that is playing in the game. Would have thought that is against IIHF rules.

While this no goal clearly had an effect on momentum, and further strategy by both teams, it is not the sole deciding factor in the game. The Canadians would have had over 10 minutes to get two goals. Given the fact they were able to come back twice in this game, I don't think you can conclude they would not have if the goal had counted. Canada did in the end score 5 goals in that game.

I'd say congrats to both teams on a well played game. Two years in a row OT is needed to decide this event. That is what great competition it is, no matter what the level.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                          The Canadian ref who was at the Olympics is a regular PWHL ref. And she is nowhere close to one of the best refs even in that league, though not one of the worst either. Although no one believes me, PWHL reffing (which most think is awful, and it is awful compared to equivalent levels in boys hockey) is still a whole lot better on average than in D1..
                          Hmmm....Go visit the Ontario Forum sometimes and you will find out that many posters think the PWHL reffing is the worst there is in Ontario.

IMHO there is good and bad reffing everwhere. Part of it is personal taste. I always find it interesting to listen to comments directed towards the ref, when you are observing a game as a neutral bystander. You should all do this from time to time, as it is a great learning tool to learn respect for the officials. You'd be surprised how silly some of the comments from the stands really are.

When my D's play on a team with an overzealous parent in the stands, I usually go and sit on the other side. Can't stand it.

Comment

Sorry, if the puck is in the air which it appears, it proves nothing. Could be an optical illusion. The angle is wrong to be conclusive. Keep trying, someone out there must have a better angle but I'm afraid the only conclusive angle might be from overhead. Was anyone in the rafters? Again, I am aware from most of the reaction that the puck was likely in, but it has to be without question.

True enough. See below, which is the same as the shot where it looks like the puck is in the back of the net. It is actually in the air in front of the official.
                            *****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/Lorence2.jpg******

Originally posted by HockE7 View Post
                            *****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs450.ash1/24786_108337075865454_100000674867871_104212_37439 31_n.jpg******
                            Last edited by Hux; 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

OK, now I'm ready to puke. How in the hell did the goal judge miss that? Where was the official looking?

Upon further review I'm really, really ****ed that I wasn't shooting all along as Miss Coyne came in. I shot her move at the blueline, then refocused on the net and had I hit the button earlier I'd have caught the puck in the HIGHLY visible area through which it traveled. Shoulda just done a motor drive sequence.
                              Last edited by Hux; 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

WOW.....if you think your last sentence is fair and respectful, I wonder what disrespectful would be in your society.

Nevertheless, taxicab's comments are in fact reasonable, well thought out, and make sense, as do yours. Taxicab just is not as mean spirited and opinionated as you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X