BC Women's Hockey Offseason 2010: Stack Strikes Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Women's Hockey Offseason 2010: Stack Strikes Back

Season's over. Tough year. Too many ties, and the team didn't gel until late in the year.

Farewell to Allie Thunstrom, who was possibly the most dynamic player in BC history and whose contributions were vital into making BC a national program. Definitely one of the most exciting players I've ever watched - every time she touched the puck you knew that something special could happen.

Farewell to Tracy Johnson, the staunch two-year captain and leader who helped anchor an undermanned BC defense the last two years. She wasn't the flashiest player on the ice but her toughness and grit made her a superior defender - and how many players have you seen trying to return on a non-operated torn ACL?

And farewell to Shannon Webster, the forward-turned defender who stayed a fifth year to supplement this year's blueliners. She really held her own over the last two years and doubtlessly had a positive impact on the young defenders she played with this season. Also sad to see her go as she's the last BC hockey player remaining from when I was still a BC student.

Now, the new faces this season:
    Melissa Bizzari .....................F .................(USA 18s/NAHA)..............................Stowe, VT
    Danielle Doherty ..................F ....................(Lawrence).................... ............Newton, MA
    Meagan Mangene ................D .................(USA 18s/NAHA)..........................Manorville, NY
    Taylor Wasylk .....................F ............(USA 18s/Little Caesars)...................Port Huron, MI

And of course:

Molly Schaus .....................GK............(USA U40s)...................Natick, MA
    Kelli Stack .....................F ............(USA U40s)...................Brooklyn Heights, OH

This year's team was pretty young. Next season's team is also going to be young. They'll have one 4th year senior in Kurth, who I assume will be one of the captains and has to rank among the top defensepersons in the league, plus two fifth-years in Stack and Schaus. This year's freshmen will have that year under their belt getting stronger and faster and I think Welch and Green are looking at a phenomenal 2010-2011 season. Having 3 USA U-18 teamers coming in doesn't hurt, either.

One player I'm really looking forward to seeing develop is Caitlin Walsh. Has to be my favorite player to watch because of her speed and the fact that she runs at 120% at all times. I'm also interested to see how the backup goalkeeping situation works out as Boyles is certainly a strong goalie but Kingston was definitely better down the stretch. Perhaps one of them will get redshirted or something, because clearly Schaus is going to be the starter.

With the best player in Hockey East (possibly all of WCH) leading the way... it should be a great year.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Re: BC Women's Hockey Offseason 2010: Stack Strikes Back

No doubt Stack will be a giant addition. I'm too sad to write anything cogent at the moment (and to ponder the first season of BC WH with me as an alumnus and not a student) but I'll be back here eventually to discuss the new-look offense.

Needless to say, we're going to need one of those freshmen to be a Thunstrom-like addition to launch back to a Frozen Four-type level.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

I'm not sure we need something THAT great, although I am optimistic that this year's incoming freshmen are going to be awesome.

I think the important thing will be seeing Welch develop into a truly consistent goal-scoring threat. Green was definitely flying over the last few weeks and hopefully she can get it going next year with some goals to show for it. I also like Brown and I think with a full year at the collegiate level that Bolden will be able to contribute some more hard shots from the blue line.

As I mentioned - I think that Walsh, with a year of conditioning and strengthening, could emerge as a great player. I really think she has a bright future.

That said, we definitely have some great talent incoming.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Instead of "Stack Strikes Back" (not a bad nickname for your thread) I was thinking along the lines of "Schaus in da Haus!"

Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
          Instead of "Stack Strikes Back" (not a bad nickname for your thread) I was thinking along the lines of "Schaus in da Haus!"

That could be for the in-season thread.

Comment

I think we have the in-season thread name

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

BC 2010-2011: Sans Trumpet

-

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                BC 2010-2011: Sans Trumpet

Gotta stay positive.

I'm wondering if there's still space to add to this class. Last year they added Hart late - any transfers out there that might be a possibility?

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
                  any transfers out there that might be a possibility?
                  Rumor has it that Hilary Knight is looking to move closer to home and is very likely to choose BC.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Rumor has it that Hilary Knight is looking to move closer to home and is very likely to choose BC.
                    Hilary Knight? As in, the Badger, Team USA phenom? Holy crap that would be a blow to the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Dream on. If she is going to be moving closer to "home" it will be to North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Dream on. If she is going to be moving closer to "home" it will be to North Dakota.
                        Did her family move? Aren't they originally from Chicago area and then moved to the east coast somewhere? I can't imagine why she would want to leave UW. They will be very strong again next year
                        GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                          Did her family move? Aren't they originally from Chicago area and then moved to the east coast somewhere? I can't imagine why she would want to leave UW. They will be very strong again next year
                          She isn't moving, though as I understand it the family is moving to ski country out west.

Comment

I hope you all realize that TTT20 is joking (I wish it was true)

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

I heard the same thing, after Wisconsin missed the tournament it's obviously high time to bail. Supposedly she's also really interested in being a theology major, and BC is clearly ahead of Wisconsin in that department.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X