Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SUNYAC Championship Lightning Round: Plattsburgh vs Oswego

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
    If this game wasn't against Plattsburgh I doubt it would have sold out.

Oswego hosted Norwich in 2007 NCAA quarterfinals (biggest game played at the CC to date) and the student section was half full. I think announced crowd was 2,200-2,500?

Plus this is the first time Oswego has hosted the SUNYAC finals since 2003.
    Not to mention the bandwagon people that love a #1 or #2 ranked team...
    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
      Oswego has bandwagoners?!?!

NOOOOO!
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
        So much for the alleged apathy of students unwilling to pay to support their team.....well done, kids!!!

If you were shut out of the game, you can watch WTOP's coverage online at the usual spot on the web

www.oswego.edu/athletics/live or on Time Warner Cable Digital Chl 1500 - Laker Lowdown at 530p followed by the Pre-Game show at 600p prior to the puck dropping at 7p.

You can listen to the game online at wnyo.org and there is a link to live stats on the athletic page.
        It was inevitable that the game would sell out - it's Plattsburgh after all . The townies certainly did their part on Wednesday to help pick up a chuck (no beef there with some local support) - what's interesting was how the earlier January rivalry sold out in a day while this one took, what, at least 3, 4 ? I would still say that many students dragged their feet on this, but whats done is done. Most likely with a NCAA game next weekend on the brink of spring break though...figure not too many people will attend that one.
        "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
        this is for you."
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          Make room on the wagon - someone just yelled "WHITEOUT 2!" and there's a cloud of dust in the distance now . Rumor is it's bigger and better...
          "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
          this is for you."
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Can you be any more smug, Double-D??

If there is an ncaa game next Saturday, there may be plenty of seats with school on break Friday and dorms closed Saturday...
            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

If there is an ncaa game next Saturday, there may be plenty of seats with school on break Friday and dorms closed Saturday...
              Ummm, I think that's exactly what Derek was saying.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Comment

I thought he said its only a sellout because it's Plattsburgh and the first SUNYAC final since 2003, using the less than full 2007 NCAA game for illustrative purposes....

I thought he came off as smug...that's what I was saying.
                  LakerEagleLover

Comment

I thought he said its only a sellout because it's Plattsburgh and the first SUNYAC final since 2003, using the less than full 2007 NCAA game for illustrative purposes....

I thought he came off as smug...that's what I was saying.
                    Yet it's true. People hear Plattsburgh on campus and they can't get their tickets fast enough. Anyone else? meh.

If/when Oswego hosts a quarterfinal game there will be less than 35% student capacity at the game. The school's need to have students on break for St. Patty's day f-ed them over once again.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                      Yet it's true. People hear Plattsburgh on campus and they can't get their tickets fast enough. Anyone else? meh.

If/when Oswego hosts a quarterfinal game there will be less than 35% student capacity at the game. The school's need to have students on break for St. Patty's day f-ed them over once again.
                      Whereas Plattsburgh also sets its Spring Break based on St. Patrick's Day, and NCAA matchups do tend to happen while school's out, but the student apathy toward the hockey program means this generally has no effect on attendance whatsoever. Yay?
                      Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                      A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                      A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                      A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                      Some National Championships:
                      Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                      Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post

Well if/when Oswego hosts an NCAA game and the attendance may have something to do with exactly "IF and WHEN" for those numbers.

IF Oswego hosts an NCAA game and WHEN they do is during the week...I would expect that the student section will at least come close to selling out, unless there are a large number of student leaving much earlier in the week then I would assume. After all, why not go to an NCAA game Wednesday night then skip out on Thursday and Friday?

Additionally, lets not forget that traveling fan bases help sell out these games as well. Plattsburgh has a nice traveling fan base...but did Norwich in 2007? It remains to be seen who Oswego would play in the NCAA's if the get there (which appears likely). I don't think anyone but Plattsburgh or Elmira would sell the place out for NCAA (or at least have the possibility of doing so).

Now, IF Oswego hosts an NCAA game and WHEN they do is on Saturday for the quarterfinals...that I can see as not selling out. The students will be gone...or most of them anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2007 NCAA quarterfinal vs Norwich was NOT during the students' spring break. I remember (or at least I think I remember) making plans about Wisconsin that same weekend leading up to the following Friday which was the start of Spring Break.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy8174 View Post
                          Well if/when Oswego hosts an NCAA game and the attendance may have something to do with exactly "IF and WHEN" for those numbers.

IF Oswego hosts an NCAA game and WHEN they do is during the week...I would expect that the student section will at least come close to selling out, unless there are a large number of student leaving much earlier in the week then I would assume. After all, why not go to an NCAA game Wednesday night then skip out on Thursday and Friday?

Additionally, lets not forget that traveling fan bases help sell out these games as well. Plattsburgh has a nice traveling fan base...but did Norwich in 2007? It remains to be seen who Oswego would play in the NCAA's if the get there (which appears likely). I don't think anyone but Plattsburgh or Elmira would sell the place out for NCAA (or at least have the possibility of doing so).

Now, IF Oswego hosts an NCAA game and WHEN they do is on Saturday for the quarterfinals...that I can see as not selling out. The students will be gone...or most of them anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2007 NCAA quarterfinal vs Norwich was NOT during the students' spring break. I remember (or at least I think I remember) making plans about Wisconsin that same weekend leading up to the following Friday which was the start of Spring Break.
                          Couple of things here...

Norwich brought more fans than Plattsburgh ever has to the Campus Center in 2007. They brought at least one fan bus...Possibly two and filled their entire section behind the bench.

That game DID NOT happen during Spring Break. Spring Break started the following weekend (Frozen Four weekend)

The attendance at the Norwich game was 2059. At best the student section was half full. Norwich brought at least 100-150 fans.

Here's the best example of how Oswego would only sellout this game because they are playing Plattsburgh.

Regular season game...what's the only game you have to get your tickets before the day of the game to make sure you have a seat? Plattsburgh.

This game wouldn't have come close to selling out if they were playing Geneseo/Geneseo/Fredonia/Brockport/Potsdam etc.

The only games that have sold out at the CC have been Plattsburgh games and Family and Friends weekend games.

Even better example...SUNYAC semifinal game against Fredonia in 2007: 1744.

Plain and simple half the students that pack the student section in the regular season are only there to be seen and won't pay to go see a game, unless you throw Plattsburghs name in there and then it even takes till the day before the game to sell it out.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

I know the game is sold out, but for anyone interested: I have 4 tickets to tomorrow nights game. I'm stuck in Plattsburgh with a sick wife, so my loss is your gain. I have a friend who is going to the game, the tickets are in his name so he will be there to pick them up at the ticket window. if interested, contact me and I can get you in touch with him to meet up to get the tickets.
                            Jim Reisdorf
                            Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Wishing her a speedy recovery and a speedy internet connection for you...
                              LakerEagleLover

Comment

Wishing her a speedy recovery and a speedy internet connection for you...
                                LakerEagleLover

Comment

Working...
                                X